27. Tao - Friends to the End

Background:
You and Tao have been together forever. Everyone ships you two--even the teachers.

***

It was your 16th birthday and you finally got your driver's license. You were so excited to finally get to drive for real without a parent but Tao tagged along in the car just for support. You were actually pretty scared and Tao noticed it. After all, he noticed everything you did--from you biting your lip when you are nervous to how your breaths quicken when you try not to cry.

You were driving with Tao in the car. It was going pretty well. He was still teasing you like always.

"Hey _____ you're doing it wrong. Do you want us to die?" Tao criticizes.

"YAH. I'm doing this right. Don't make me second guess myself. Ill get us into a car crash if you do." Your retort to him made him quiet down. "Good puppy" you giggle to yourself.

"Hey I'm not a puppy I'm a wolf." He pouts and then growls at you. You just laugh even more. Careless you, you almost run a red light, but you were able to hit the breaks fast enough. Both of you were panting hard.

"Okay ____ turn left and pull over. I'm driving now okay? i don't went to think of the highway. Yore just tired toddy or something." Tao orders you to change lines.

"O-okay" you were still scared. Still pale and a little out of it, you listen to Tao and switch to the lane to turn left. Once the traffic light turned green, you start making the turn. It wasn't fast enough though. Coming straight towards your car was a large truck full of oil on high speeds unable to stop. It was honking his horn like crazy. You try to swerve away--making the situation even worse than before. At 35 miles per hour, the truck speeds into your car, tipping the truck over and sending Tao out the car.

You fainted.

The windows were cracked. Everything was a mess. You slowly open your eyes and hear sirens in the distance. The first thing you think of is Tao.

"TAO" you yell with your hoarse voice. Tao lets out a grunt to signify that he was unconscious. He wasn't in the car. You weren't in the car either. You try to get up but pain immediately shoots up your leg and spine. They were probably broken or sprained from whatever happened. Nothing was clicking in your head. The only thing you could think of was to hurry and go to Tao because he was probably in an even worse condition than you. When you crawled over there, you saw that not a single piece of his body wasn't covered in red. Though you didn't notice it, tears were flowing down your cheeks once you reached Tao. You hover over Tao with your arm propping you up.

"TAO. SPEAK TO ME. DONT LEAVE ME IN THIS WORLD. I NEED YOU GOD DAMMIT." you usually didn't swear but it just came out f your mouth. "ARENT WE FRIENDS? FRIENDS DONT LEAVE OTHERS BEHIND. WE PROMISED WE WOULD BE FRIENDS TO THE END. REMEMBER THAT PROMISE?" you lay on the ground with his to get on his level of vision. His hand was growing cold. "Please" you beg. "Please don't live me"

Tao only smiles. His hand trembles to your face and he wipes the tears off your cheeks. Tao continues to wipe your face with his finger--each times slowing down and his breath getting raspier. You look down at his leg and see a large gash on his thigh.

"TAO YOUR LEG." you try to get up but Tao keeps you down with him. "Tao let go of me. I need to help you. Let me take off my coat so I can try to stop the bleeding." He lightly shakes his head.

"Don't wast your energy on me." He takes a few breaths. "I'm going to die today anyways." He was still holding your face. You get up and turn towards his leg and attempt to bind the leg together. You could faintly hear Tao begging you to stop with his raspy voice over the loud noises in the background. You take a small glance at Tao. He was trying to get up.

"No no no Tao you get back down right now." You try to pish him down but he latches onto your neck and whispers something in your ear before falling back down. It takes a few seconds for you to comprehend what he just said, but it does go though. You look down at his lifeless body. You try and do anything to get him to come back to life. There was no pulse. His hands were freezing. He looked so pale...so lifeless.

The impact of losing a friend was so painful. "WHY DID YOU LEAVE ME" you pound at fist on his chest while crying. "Why did you do this to me Tao?" more tears flow. You cry towards the sky.

"I loved you more than just a friend too"