Chapter 31(Zach)

Lizzie's POV

I woke up the next morning by my alarm clock wishing that I could throw it into a river over a waterfall right now.I got out of bed and did my normal routine and just skipped trying to cover my bruises with concealer and shit. I stuffed my phone in my pocket and grabbed my book bag and went downstairs quietly trying to not wake anybody up. I checked my phone to see that it is 8 o'clock so I got time. I walked out my house and started walking to school like usual, ignoring the stares from some creeps that are eye-raping me. I hear my phone go off to see somebody calling me but its an unknown number.

"h-hello."I stutter into the phone. God damn stuttering, I thought in my head.

"Hey Lizzie."I heard Esteban say which made me instantly relax.

"How did u get my number?"I asked him curiously.

"I have my ways."He said with a smirk in his voice making me roll my eyes.

"Creepy."I said to him causing him to laugh and me to chuckle.

"Anyways I was wondering, if you wanted a ride to school?"He asked me. I heard somebody clear their throat in front of me and I looked up happiness filling me. In front of me was a boy my age slightly older that lived in my neighborhood, he was expelled from school in tenth grade from smoking in school and beating 5 boys almost to death for talking about someone.

"No way how the fuck are you here?"I asked him with shock and happiness in my voice and probably in my eyes.

"Oooh little Lizzie found her voice."He said amused that I actually said that.

"Dumbass."I mumbled seeing as he was still the same since the last time he was here.

"What was that?"He asked me, Skyler and Jahyla are starting to rub off on me, I thought in my head.

"Nothiiing."I dragged out in a sing-song voice.

"Yea sure."He said.

"How's the school you going to?"I asked him hanging up the phone and sending a quick text to Esteban that I will see him there.

"Not bad. The teacher's are a total ass over there."He said making me laugh.

"Aren't all?"I said causing him to chuckle. Now you might be wondering what the hell is going on. Well this annoying guy was my best friend when my mom was alive. In middle school my mom died and I started getting abused by my father and soon Michael. He knew but couldn't help me. One day his mom and dad divorced and he would go to Arizona for the summer and stay here for the school year till that got flipped by the dumbass getting expelled. 

"Who was on the phone?"He asked me.

"Nosey much?" I asked him.

"Very."He said to me with a smirk while walking down the sidewalk to school.

"So you're taking me to school?"I asked him changing the subject.

"Nice try Liz, and yes I am."He said.

"Zaaaach."I whined dragging out his name.

"I promised."He mumbled to me. I was confused at first until tears brimmed my eyes.

"Zach-"I was cut off by him.

"Im serious Liz, I promised your mom I would protect you and I broke it when that bastard laid a hand on you." He growled. Soon my tears fell from my eyes remembering my mom.

"Lizzie don't cry."He said softly trying to get me to look at him. He put his forefinger under my chin and made me look at his hazel blue eyes. I looked into his eyes to see love in it but was quickly replaced to anger.