#20

Josh's POV

As Simon's mum came closer, Simon stepped back hurriedly, probably knowing who it was.

"Simon, ya little bastard!" His mum shouted, stumbling even closer. Simon flinched and brought up his arm to cover his face. Reacting quickly, I grabbed Simon's shoulder and pulled him behind me.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing, you fuckboy?" Simon's mum slurred.

"I should be the one asking you that question." I said, trying to be calm.

"Why the fuck are you in my fucking house?"

"I walked Simon home from school."

"What the fuck is Simon doing out of school? Come here." She said, grabbing Simon's hair and pulling him towards her, across the smashed vodka bottles.

"Leave him alone!" I said angrily, pulling Simon back and shoving him behind me. "What are you trying to do?"

"Give him the punishment he deserves!" She said angrily, raising her fist.

"Simon, c'mon." I said, taking his hand and turning round, opening the door. "We're leaving."

"What the fuck are you doing? You can't take him away!" His mum yelled furiously.

"Yes I can. What you're doing is illegal and wrong."

"I can do whatever the fuck I want! He's my son!"

"But he's my friend. What did he do to to deserve that?"

"He drove my husband away! He's an ungrateful bastard!" She yelled.

"No. You're the bitch." I said angrily, grabbing Simon's hand and yanking him out the house behind me. I slammed the door shut, muffling Simon's mum's protests. I took Simon a little bit further from the house before turning around and enveloping him in my arms as he began to sob hysterically. How long had Simon's mum been abusing him, and why didn't he tell me?