#34

Simon's POV

The minibus had been rumbling along for what felt like an eternity when we finally stopped.

"Come on, dearie!" The same woman that dragged me away from Josh chirped. Sophie, I think her name was. God, she sounded fake. Someone, presumably her, took my arm and undid my seatbelt, even though I was perfectly capable of doing it myself, then dragged me off my seat. She pulled me off the minibus, guiding me out of the door. She helped me much more than she needed to, as if I was incapable of doing anything. I didn't say anything about it. I didn't have the energy to.

"I will be your guide today, dear!" She said, her voice high-pitched and fake-sounding.

"What, guide?" I said, confused about why I needed a guide the entire time.

"Of course!" She said like I was a toddler that didn't understand something.

"But, I'm sure I can get around by myself..." I said, uncertain.

"Don't be silly, dear, you need my help!" She said. I could hear the impatience building in her voice.

"Ok." I said, not wanting to test her patience anymore. She made a triumphant-sounding noise and walked a little faster, her high heels click-clacking on the concrete.

"We're just at the reception." She informed me. I nodded and I heard the sound of a door creaking open, then I was led through.

"Hello, Simon." A deep voice greeted me. "Welcome to King's High School For The Visually Impared."

"Thank you sir." I said weakly, scared of the man behind the loud voice.

"Young man, where is your cane?" He asked.

"Um, er, I don't have one." I said nervously. "Sir." I added hurriedly.

"Well, young man, why not?" He asked.

"I don't really need one..." I said, unsure. The terrifying voice boomed out in laughter.

"Don't be stupid. Sophie, can you please fetch this young lad a cane?" He asked. Sophie's grip relaxed on my arm, then disappeared altogether.

"Yes, sir." She said, sounding just as afraid as I was. She walked off, the sound of her high heels fading. She'd left me alone with the other guy.

"I'm Mr King." The voice bellowed. "Headmaster of this school."

"Um, nice to meet you, Sir." I said timidly.

"Very good, Simon. Sophie will be your guide. She will stay with you through the the whole day." He bellowed, and I nodded anxiously. Great, a whole day with Little Miss Fake? Oh joy. The high heel sounds returned, signalling Sophie's return.

"Here you go, Simon." Sophie said, taking my hand and wrapping it around what must be the cane. I took it and held it loosely by my side.

"Sophie, here's Simon's timetable." Mr Smith said. There was a bit of noise, then Sophie took my arm again.

"First lesson is English." Sophie informed me, dragging me off. I held my cane thing in the middle of it, dangling it horizontally.

"What are you doing? Hold it this way." Sophie scolded sharply, ripping it from my grasp and placing my hand round the top. This was gunna get annoying...