#23

Simon's POV

*Flashback (To when Simon was 13)*

It had been 5 hours since dad left, and it was now 1 in the morning, and mum still hadn't returned. I don't think I ever had or ever will be that confused, worried and scared. I was curled up in a big armchair that I had dragged out into the corridor, my knees to my chest and my head on my arms, a blanket over my shoulders. I had been sat staring at the door, not moving, for almost 5 hours when I heard the familiar sound of high heels clip-clopping out of time across the path leading up to the house.

I immediately ran to the front door and flung it open to see my mum stumbling forward drunkenly towards me through the darkness. She was wearing a too-tight, too-short black dress that had ridden up at the back and some precariously thin, sparkly stilettos. Her harshly red lipstick was smeared across her mouth, as if she had been kissing someone or... you know... Her mascara was running down her cheeks along with her tears and her blush contrasted with her sickly-pale skin in a way that made her look like a vampire. Her normally impeccably straight blonde hair was in a tangled knot and in her hand was an almost empty bottle of vodka.

"Mum!" I cried, rushing forward and taking the bottle out of her hand, putting her arm across my shoulders and putting my left arm around her waist. She slumped against me, a dead weight, as I struggled to guide her forward. Realising she was never going to move forward by herself, I gently sat her down on the path and leant down to remove her impractical shoes. Once the shoes were off and laying beside her on the dark path, I put my arm around her again, abandoning the half empty bottle. I snaked my other arm across the back of her knees and scooped her up gently. Her head lolled back onto my shoulder and her and her arms fell, dangling as I walked cautiously forward towards the open door, towards the light that was our house.