Chapter 28

Desiree

"Mama, how long are you gonna be gone?" Sierre asked me.

"A week or 2" I said while running my fingers through his curly hair.

"Can I come with you?" he asked,

I shook my head, "I have business to take care of baby."

"Please? I'll be good, I swear." he pleaded.

"Maybe next time" I said.

He frowned and looked at Mani. She looked down at her watch then at me before getting up and going upstairs.

"Fine" Sierre mumbled.

"Promise you'll be good while I'm gone." I demand.

"I'll try" he said.

"You really need to work on your behavior Sierre."

"I said I'll try" he snapped.

Before I could say anything he apologized and kissed my cheek. "Love you mama"

I smiled, "Mommy loves you more"

I watched him walk to the door, until I realized he didn't have a shirt on. "Sierre, put a shirt on before you get sick"

"But it's hot outside" he whined.

I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Yes ma'am" he mumbled before going up the stairs.

When he came back Mani was with him. She was texting somebody with a slight smirk on her face.

She slid her phone in her pocket and looked at me, "I'll be right back, gotta take him somewhere." Mani said.

"Take your time" I said before standing on my tippy toes and kissing her.

She pulled back and looked me over with a raised a eyebrow. Instead of speaking, she chuckled and followed behind Sierre.

I went into the kitchen and began pulling out all the utensils needed to make this meal. It me almost a hour to finish it. After I completed it, I took a shower and slipped on a silk robe.

As I was fixing her plates, she was just walking in. The scent of loud hit me hard when she pulled me into her.

When she released me she kissed my forehead and sat at the island. I placed her plate of food in front of her.

Her eyes were so low, I didn't know if they were opened or closed. "I really preciate this, I'm fucking starving" she says before picking up her fork.

"Why you not eating?" Mani asked.

"I'm not hungry" I said.

"Are you sure?"

I nodded, "Positive"

"Can you roll up please, I wanna get high again." she said. As if she wasn't high enough. I didn't question her tho, I did as she said.

She finished her food before I even finished rolling up. She took a sip of her Gatorade before sitting it down and looking at me.

"How much longer until you leave?" she asked.

"Couple more hours" I respond without looking up from the blunt.

"Gimme like... 30 minutes to take a shower an smoke this blunt, then I'll be right with you."

*

I lay in bed next to Mani, still breathing heavy.

"I didn't know you were flexible" she said.

I threw my leg over her waist, "Me either"

She began tracing imaginary circles on my upper thigh. When I looked at her she seemed to be zoned out.

"What's wrong?" I ask her.

"Nothing" she said.

"Are you sure? I'm down to listen to whatever you want to talk about"

She turned on her side and looked at me, "I don't want you to leave"

"I have to"

"Yeah, I know. Which is why I'm not about to talk you out of it."

"Promise you won't do anything I don't approve of." she said.

"What don't you approve of?" I asked.

"You not allowed to talk to no nigga. Especially not no nigga that got a certain hate for me. I'm talkin studs, all that shit. I don't even want you going out, cause you not the same when you're drunk." she said.

"Anything else?" I ask, dryly.

"Nah, but if I think of some more I'll let you know." she kissed my forehead and sat up.

I watched her walk away before sighing and shaking my head. Mani's so overprotective, I can't do shit. Still daddy tho, so I don't question her.

"Come take a shower with me" she said.

"Here I come"

*

"You promise to call me every night?" I ask while looking in her eyes.

"We gotta talk every night?" Mani asked.

"Yes"

Mani smacked her lips, "Whatever Desiree. It's your world"

I stood on my tippy toes and wrapped my arms around her neck. Mani snaked her arms around my waist and lifted me up.

I smiled and kissed her. "I love you" she said.

"How much?"

"More than you'll ever know" she says before kissing me again. "I'll call you, twice a day if it makes you feel better" she said.

"When you wake up, and before you go to sleep" I said.

"You're so needy." she said.

My phone vibrated and I just knew it was a text from Ray, rushing me.

"You gotta go huh?" she asks.

I nod as she put me down on my feet. She opened my car door for me and waited until I got in before leaning in the window of my car. She kissed me repeatedly before pulling back an smiling.

"Be safe tho, aight?"

"You too" I said. "I love you so much"

"I love you too."