Chapter 41; Solved the Problem?

It has been about four hours since they woke up that morning, and the storm was as strong as ever. Every second, deafening thunder shook the room, and the backup generators for the lights were giving out.
"We're all out of pudding." Jace said as he tossed the last pudding cup into the pile of them in the corner of the room.
"I told you not to eat the pudding." Jordan said sternly, but was too tired and stressed out to mean it.
"Now we're stuck with that." Zoey said, glancing over at the crate of fruits and vegistables, some of which were starting to rot.
"Jordan, you said meat and dairy would spoil, but look at those." She adds.
"It's still good." Jordan says quickly.
"Ugh.. What time is it?" Felix asks as he wakes up. He woke up earlier but fell back asleep almost right away.
"It's about 12:00." Jordan says after looking over at his phone.
"Twelve?! Why didn't I wake up earlier?!" Felix asks, shocked.
"You did, but you just fell back asleep." Melody says, trying to find an excuse to talk to him.
"Oh." Felix says, his mind going off to another place.
"Felix, you want anything to eat?" Jordan asks him, pushing the crate over.
"Yeah." Felix says, not taking anything.
"Well, are you going to take it?" Jordan asks, giving him a funny look.
"Oh, I didn't think you meant I can take some. You asked if I wanted any, so I didn't really know-" Felix starts but gets cut off by Jordan.
"Oh just take it already." He says, a little annoyed.
Felix takes an apple from the crate, and goes back to his spot on the sleeping bag.
"So Felix, are you feeling any better?" Mackenzie asks him.
"Yeah, I'm not dizzy anymore." Felix says after taking a bite of the apple.
"Why would you drink bleach?" Ella asks, still baffled.
"Well.. Joey did say it tasted really good.. And it tasted like candy." Felix says while shrugging his shoulders.
Everyone glanced over at Joey.
"How was I supposed to know he would actually do it?" Joey asks them angrily.
They all shake their heads, except Felix and Joey.
"So.. You still don't know when the storm will be over? Because this is so boring." Ella asks Jordan.
"The storm should be over in about five more hours, so you won't have to sleep in here again." Jordan told them.
Everyone was happy to hear this, not wanting to spend another night in the meeting room.
"So how did it look up there when you went to see the others?" Mackenzie asked, wondering if the storm damaged anything.
"Just a few of the lamps around camp were knocked over.. Didn't see any major damage." Jordan responded, trying to recall anything from the pouring rain, making it hard to see three feet in front of you.
"Everything still okay?" Melody asks Felix as she sits in front of him on the ground.
"Yeah." He says casually, finishing up his apple.
"Good." Melody says with a smile, poking his shoulder.
"What?" He asks, looking at where she poked him.
"Nothing." She says, giggling at the face he made.
"Hey, can you put this in the garbage for me?" Felix asks Melody, holding out the apple core.
"Sure, but only because you look so adorable asking ." Melody said, smiling again, and tosses the apple core into the pudding cup pile, having it land right in a cup.
"Whoa.. That's cool." Felix said, starring at the apple core.
"Once a basketball player, always a basketball player." Melody said, flipping her hair and laughing.
"Huh.." Felix said, still starring off into the distance.
"Do you want some water or something?" Melody offered.
"Oh, yeah, sure." Felix said, snapping out of his daze.
"Here." Melody said, handing him a bottle of water.
"Why does it say spring water? Can you only get this during spring?" Felix asked after reading the label.
"Just drink it, okay?" Melody said.
She touched his arm slightly before getting up and walking over to Mackenzie, leaving Felix confused.
"Zoey, I think I finally found out how to not lose to you in sword fighting." Ella said with a grin, after thinking about it for a while.
"Not going against me? I heard that one already." Zoey said, laughing.
"No, whenever you swing, you lift your arm up too high, so we have at least a couple seconds to hit your stomach before you do anything." Ella said, remembering reading the part in the "common flaws" chapter in the combat physics book.
"Doubt it." Zoey said, not wanting to think she's doing something wrong.
"Oh yeah? Then I say I'll fight you, just to prove you wrong." Ella said, holding out her hand.
"Deal!" Zoey said, laughing.
"And loser has to... Help Elliot make dinner for a week!" Zoey said, pretty sure she will win.
"Oh, you are on!" Ella said, also laughing.
"I'm Elliot, I put chicken in the tomtata soup!" Ella said, imitating her voice.
"I'm not in charge of the food they give me, I just cook it." Zoey adds, making a face.
"Wait, don't forget the hair!" Ella says, pulling her's up in Elliot's signature "old lady bun".
"Chicken parmesan!" Ella says, then bursts out with laughter.
"Oh no!" Mackenzie says loudly over everyone's talking.
"What?" Everyone asks her.
"Toast! I completely forgot! He's still in the dorms!" Mackenzie says, starting to panic.
"I need to go get him!" Mackenzie says, standing up and running up the stairs.
"Mackenzie!" Jordan yells over at her to stop her, but it's too late, she already left.
"Don't worry, Toast! I'm coming!" Mackenzie says through the wind and rain.
She makes her way over to the direction of the dorms, or at least where she thinks the dorms are.
She reaches the dorm doors, which are already open, and walks into the hallway, which is soaked with water.
"Toast!" She says happily, seeing he's okay, in the corner of his cage, shaking.
"It's okay, here, you're safe now." Mackenzie says, kneeling by his cage and taking him out.
She wraps him in a blanket off of her bed, and starts back out into the storm, more carefully now that she has him.
"Mackenzie!" Jordan yells over from somewhere in the storm.
"I'm coming!" Mackenzie yelled back, it getting lost in the wind.
She slowly makes her way over to the shop.
"Mackenzie! Oh my god, don't ever do that again, you could of gotten lost, or hurt, or something like that!" Jordan says when he finds her, putting his hand on his forehead.
"I'm sorry, I couldn't just leave him out in the storm." Mackenzie says, looking down at Toast, who is still shaking in her arms.
"I mean, look at how scared he is." Mackenzie says, petting his little head.
"I suppose you're right, I just don't want you risking your safety like that anymore." Jordan says as he starts heading back into the meeting room.
"Jordan, I think your teacher side is showing." Mackenzie says with a laugh, thinking it's funny how he's acting all strict, when really, he isn't.
Everyone looks at Mackenzie while she walks back down the steps.
"What?" She asks quietly, not liking all of the attention.
"So, is Toast okay?" Ella asks, walking up to Mackenzie.
"Yeah, just a bit scared." Mackenzie says as she lays the blanket on the ground for him to sleep in.
"Jace, you've been really quiet, are you okay?" Zoey asks him.
"I ate too much pudding.." Jace says, having a huge stomach ache.
"That's why I told you not to eat it." Jordan says, laughing a little, because Jace looks kind of ridiculous with pudding smeared on his face.
"You.. Got a little.." Zoey says, motioning to her face, but stops because she starts laughing.
Jace tries to wipe it off but gives up, and lies down on his sleeping bag.
"So Mel, how's it going with Felix?" Ella asked her, wondering what she was talking about.
"Okay.. I'm trying to be nicer, and I'm also trying to flirt a little.. Which I honestly doubt is working out." Melody answers, looking over at Felix who is tossing his hat in the air and catching it.
"Try making a move. I don't know, something he can't miss." Ella offers.
"Like what?" Melody asks, trying to think.
"Hug him, I don't know, say something sweet. I really don't know! I was just trying to give you an idea, I'm bad at this stuff!" Ella said as she started to laugh.
"Okay.. I can hug him.. And how about.. I got it! I'll just say how much I missed him when he was in that coma!" Melody said, getting an idea.
"There you go! Now you're talking!" Ella said with a laugh.
"Thanks, El." Melody said, starting to walk over to where Felix is sitting.
"Your welcome!" Ella says.
Melody sat down next to Felix, and hugged him without saying anything.
"What's this for?" Felix asked, confused.
"I realized how I never told you how much I missed you when you were in a coma. I thought about you every day." Melody said, still hugging him.
"Why would you miss me? I was still there, it's not like I left or anything." Felix said, still not understanding her.
"It wasn't the same. I missed hearing your voice, and seeing you laugh, and just everything about you. I would cry every time I visited you. I was so worried you wouldn't wake up." Melody said, pulling away from the hug, but still kept her arm around him.
"Obsessive much?" Felix said starting to laugh at his own joke, then noticed Melody wasn't laughing and stopped.
"It's just that I really care about you, okay? I want to tell you why.. But I don't at the same time." Melody says.
I can't tell him I like him! It didn't work out the first time, it won't work out this time!
She thinks after she tries to explain.
"What? I'm confused.." Felix said his head starting to hurt.
"No, just don't be confused, pretend I never said that last part." Melody says trying to cover up what obviously made no sense.
"How can I pretend you never said it when you did? Ugh my head hurts.." Felix says as he puts a hand on his forehead.
"I'm sorry.. I shouldn't of said anything." Melody says as she looks at the floor.
"It's fine. So.. Is there something you wanted to talk about?" Felix asks after some awkward silence.
"Yeah, I would like to talk.. Anything you want to talk about?" Melody asks him.
"Uhh.. Can't really think of anything right now." Felix says trying to think of something he would want to talk about.
"Well.. For starters, are you feeling any better?" Melody asks him.
"Oh my god not this again! All anyone asks me is 'Felix how are you?' 'Are you getting any better?' Honestly just hearing that question gives me a headache!" Felix says, covering his face with his hands.
"I didn't think it bothered you, I wouldn't of asked if I knew.." Melody says, reaching up and moving one of his hands away from his face.
"What are you doing?" Felix asks.
"Come on, I like seeing your face." Melody says with a laugh.
"Why?" Felix asks.
Melody rolls her eyes, but can't help but smile a little.
"I just realized how pretty your eyes are." Melody says as she stares into his eyes, trying out what his "signature compliment".
"It's a really nice shade of blue, looks cute on you." She adds.
"Umm.. Thank you?" Felix says, not knowing what else to say.
"I like that black line you have on your eye lids." Felix says, referring to her eyeliner.
"Thank you." Melody says.
"Can you teach me how to do that?" Felix asks, tilting his head a little as he got a better look at it.
Melody giggled a little.
"What?" He asks, not thinking what he said was funny.
"Uhh.. Felix, guys don't wear makeup." Melody said as she started laughing again.
"Oh.. Yeah okay that makes sense now." Felix said as he also started laughing, understanding it a little more.
"Just wondering, why do you always draw that on your face?" Felix asks Melody, wondering why she's always wearing makeup.
"Well.. It's fun. I always liked makeup I guess. I like doing it and trying new things." Melody answered while shrugging.
"I don't like makeup" Felix said making a face.
"Honestly if I don't wear it, I'll scare people." Melody says with a laugh.
"And I want people to think I'm pretty.. Because apparently looks are the only things that matter anymore.. Am I right?" She adds looking down.
"No you're not right, well to me you're not" Felix said.
"Well that's really nice of you to think that way, but sadly most of the world isn't like that." Melody says with a small laugh.
"So.. What qualities do you look for in girls?" Melody asks him, wanting to know.
"I don't know.." Felix said thinking for a bit.
"I think you're more into personality than looks." Melody assumes.
"Well yeah, I literally just said that" Felix says.
"Sorry I didn't really catch on.. I guess my brain kind of goes dumb when I talk to you." Melody says with a laugh.
"Goes dumb? How does it go dumb? Brains are supposed to be smart?" Felix asks starting to get confused again.
"It's hard to explain.. It's like.. I don't know, I try and say something and I can't think of what to say and I feel like I can't think and I feel like an idiot and I never know how to say anything to you!" Melody says, feeling like she's making no sense.
"Huh?" Felix asked squinting in confusion
"Nothing.. It's hard to explain." Melody says.
"Oh ok." Felix replies.
"I'm getting kind of hungry." Melody said, looking over at the food crate.
"Then go get something to eat." Felix says.
"Okay, you want anything?" She asks as she gets up.
"No I'm good" Felix says.
"Okay, be right back." Melody says getting up.
She comes back later with a small salad in a container.
"You sure you don't want anything?" She asks as she opens the container.
"I'm good" He says once again.
"Well.. I think I see why you didn't want anything." Melody says in disgust after seeing the salad which is all slimy.
"Eww" Felix says as he eyes the salad while making a face.
Melody laughs and puts the cover back on the container, pushing it off to the side.
"That was gross." She says.
"Do you still feel like you're on drugs?" Melody asks, remembering him saying that.
"Yes, no, I don't know" Felix says.
"Okay.. Don't tell anyone about this.. They aren't supposed to know.. but.. The day you woke up, you actually woke a few days before but they made you pretend to be in a coma for a few days. And then you got something injected into your arm. I kind of overheard the conversation.." Melody tries to explain, hoping he won't tell anyone because she technically wasn't supposed to mention it.
"Oh, really? Is that why I can't remember anything?" Felix asks.
"Maybe.. Could be possible. But I'm not smart so don't ask me. Maybe we should tell Jordan." Melody offers.
"I guess" Felix says.
"Come on." Melody says as she stands up. She thinks for a second before holding out a hand for Felix.
"Okay" he says as he takes her hand.
They walk over to Jordan who is sitting on one of the chairs at the big table, doing something on his phone.
"Jordan.. Um I think we know why Felix is having memory issues." Melody starts.
"The chloroform that robot Laura injected into his arm. I've already figured that out." Jordan said as he put his phone on the table to look at them.
"Melody, why are you still holding my hand?" Felix asks her, giving her a funny look.
"Oh! Sorry.." She says and quickly let's go, blushing a little.
"Casey told us that in rare occasions chloroform causes memory loss, and well, no surprise, Felix has it." Jordan says, knowing how Felix is like a magnet to disaster.
"There's an antidote for it, but it needs to be made in the headquarters lab, we don't get supplied with it because if used in the wrong way, it can be deadly." Jordan explains.
"What is it?" Felix asks, wondering.
"Rivastigmine, you won't learn about that until your second year here." Jordan tells them.
"Does that drug have any side effects?" Melody asks.
"All drugs have side effects, but this one doesn't have anything that bad.. Nausea, vomiting, fever.. Possibility to catch colds easier. But once again, those are just possible." Jordan explains.
"How long does it take to make that stuff?" Melody asks Jordan.
"Not too long, couple days. When the storm passes I'm going to talk with Casey and the others and see if one of them can fly over to headquarters and put in the request." Jordan says.
"So will I remember everything I forgot when I take ribastagmite or whatever it's called?" Felix asks Jordan.
"No, sadly what's forgotten is forgotten for good, but you shouldn't be edgy anymore, should be thinking normally again, not have short term memory loss.. Pretty much be back to normal. Or.. At least to how you were before." Jordan said with a small laugh.
"What?" Felix asks, not understanding.
"It's nothing." Jordan said, waving it off.
"Oh yeah, and speaking of medicine..." Jordan stops to take something out of a bag on the ground next to him.
"Here, you need to take these." Jordan hands Felix his medicine, and a small bottle of water.
Felix takes the pills, again with no water.
"That's really unhealthy, you should drink something." Jordan says as he watched Felix swallow them.
Felix shrugs and looks at the table.
"Don't happen to have any more of those do you?" Joey asks from the corner he's sitting in.
"Joey that didn't work a week ago, it won't work now." Jordan says, remembering Joey asking for pills last week.
"Hey, it's worth a shot." Joey says blankly.
"Okay guys, you have about three more hours until the storm is over, try not to be so annoyed with each other like yesterday." Jordan tells them all.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Hope you guys are enjoying the chapters, stay tuned for more, and to find out what will happen next!