Chapter 44; Cleaning up

Everyone gets assigned to do a certain job, Group A (Mackenzie and Ella) has to go and pick up all the garbage that the storm blew over, Group B (Jace and Melody) has to pick up fallen structures like lamps, speakers etc, and Group C (Felix, Zoey, and Joey) has to fix broken objects and buildings.
When Carly said that the damage isn't severe she wasn't entirely lying, but there are a lot of things to clean up.

"Why do they make us do the dirty work? I mean, are they too busy sitting on their lazy butts watching tv to get anything done?" Joey asked annoyed as Zoey got them all a few tool kits.
"I think they just do it as practice. And it's a good assignment to learn to work together." Zoey says as she walks over to a broken fence.

"We get trash duty huh?" Ella asks as she looks at the supplies they're given.
"I guess so. At least it's one of the easier jobs." Mackenzie says, trying to find a good side.
"Yeah, I feel bad for Zoey. She has to go and rebuild broken stuff. Not to mention that she's also in a group with Felix.. And that'll be a pain with his memory loss issues." Ella says as she starts to laugh, imagining all his weird random questions.
"I thought you were going to mention the fact that she's with Joey, that's gonna be hard" Mackenzie says laughing a little
"Yeah, that too" Ella says agreeing with her.

"Hey Jace, can you help me with something?" Melody asks as they start to pick up a fallen light post.
"What's up?" Jace asks.
"Well.. It's about Felix." Melody says.
"Kind of saw that one coming." Jace replies with a laugh.
"Yeah.. Well you're his best friend, you should know him better than anyone. Is there.. A reason he doesn't like me?" Melody asks.
"You scare him. With all your punches, and mean personality, and overprotectiveness.. You kind of make him scared to be around you." Jace says, expecting a punch to come at him.
"And also, he told Jacob that there's nothing between you guys. And I don't think he wants to of made that a lie.. Even after all the crap he put him through." Jace adds.
"I just wish he can see me as more than a friend." Melody says sadly.
"Honestly.. I think somewhere in that make-out-session between you two he might of.. Even just for a split second. That's probably why he was so freaked out when he was talking to me." Jace said after thinking a little.
"It wasn't a make-out-session! I kissed him for three seconds! That's it!" Melody says in her defense.
"And.. Really??" Melody asked excitedly.
"I'm not saying that's for sure! It's just a thought!" Jace says quickly after seeing her response.
"Okay what's it going to take to make him like me?" Melody asks.
"Well, be nicer, that's a start, don't punch him so much, stop being so overprotective, don't just surprise- kiss him when he's not expecting it, maybe listen to his constant rants about not understanding anything without getting annoyed, do nice things for him, don't flirt with him every time you talk to him-" Jace says listing just about everything.
"Well how am I supposed to remember all that?" Melody asks in shock.
"Hey, if you really liked him, you would." Jace said, holding his hands up.
"And if it doesn't work like everything else I've been trying?" Melody asks.
"Then you and Felix just don't make the perfect pair." Jace says while shrugging.
"I'm sure he'll actually like me if he got to think of me like that. And not for a split second." Melody says after thinking.
"Oh yeah? Well good luck with that. After that fail with Ella, maybe he's also kind of scared to think of any girl as more than just a friend." Jace thinks.
"So do you think that's what the problem is? It's that he's scared of being rejected? Well he doesn't really need to worry about that with me.." Melody says, her voice trailing off.
"Could be part of it." Jace says.
"You need to help me. Try and put the idea of me being more than just a friend in Felix's head. Make him actually consider it." Melody says.
"Oh yeah? What's in it for me?" Jace asks, thinking she's crazy for making him do it.
"Uhh... What's your favorite food?" Melody asks.
"Uhh.. Probably pizza. Any kind of pizza. Except anchovy." Jace says the last part with a cringe thinking of the salty taste of it.
"Okay, since I'm on cafeteria duty all week, I'll get you pizza for dinner that whole week if you agree to help me." Melody says, holding out a hand to shake.
"Ehhh.. How about an extra side of chips with that pizza too?" Jace asks with an evil grin.
"Deal." Melody says.
Jace spits in his hand and holds it out.
"Eww!" Melody says, recoiling in disgust.
"What? Haven't you ever heard of a spit-shake before? Or do girls not do that?" Jace asks.
"I don't know about other girls but this girl doesn't." Melody says.
"How about a pinkie swear?" Melody offers in exchange.
"Really? What are we five?" Jace asks.
"Oh just do it already!" Melody says.
"You break the pinkie swear. I break the pinkie." Melody says with a serious tone but ends up laughing because it sounded so ridiculous.