Chapter 43; ice-cream disaster?

"Okay guys, storm cleared up, you can head out now." Jordan says as he walks back in from checking outside.
"Finally, I don't have to be trapped in this stupid room with these idiots anymore." Joey says as he gets up and pushes past everyone to get out.
"Hey Jordan, I was wondering if Felix and I could go out of camp to get some ice cream." Melody asks Jordan after everyone else starts to leave.
"Uhh.. I don't think they'll be open, I mean the storm just ended." Jordan says as he looks from Melody to Felix.
"Why don't you just go to the cafeteria? Elliot has an ice cream machine." Jordan offers.
"Elliot will probably put meat in mine like she does with all the other food she gives me." Felix says to Jordan.
"And it doesn't hurt to go look, plus we were stuck in here for two days." Melody adds
"I guess.. How much do you need for two of you?" Jordan asks as they start to walk up the stairs.
"Maybe.. Ten dollars?" Melody guesses.
"Okay, be back in an hour, shouldn't take you too long. Meet me at the gate in ten minutes." Jordan said after he walks over to the teachers' cabin where Mitch and Casey are looking around and picking up a few things that have been knocked over.
"I'm going to go change and fix my hair and stuff." Melody says before walking over to the dorms, catching up with Kenzie and Ella.
"Uhh.. Okay." Felix says to pretty much himself since she can't hear him.
"So, you getting ready for your date." Jace asks Felix with a laugh.
"Um.. What's a date exactly?" Felix asks Jace.
"It's like when a guy and a girl go out somewhere together." Jace tries to explain.
"Oh.. Then yeah I guess." Felix says, thinking a little.
"Are you going like that?" Jace asks him, looking at his outfit.
"What's wrong with it?" Felix asks.
"It's fine I guess.. Just brush your hair." Jace says.
"When was the last time you even did that?" Jace asks as he attempts to make it look less messy.
"I can't.. Remember.." Felix said starting to squint.
"Well of course you can't." Jace says as he starts to laugh again.
"Whatever it's not that bad.. Plus you have a hat so it'll just cover it up." Jace adds, giving up on fixing it.
"Why does it matter? I'm just getting ice-cream" Felix asks while laughing awkwardly.
"Well, normally when people go on 'dates' they try to look nice." Jace explains
"Why? Who cares, It's just your friend not the president!" Felix said confused
"It's hard to explain, I guess you'll understand sooner or later." Jace says.

"You are making the dorm a huge mess, Jordan will kill you if he saw this." Zoey said as she threw another shirt off of her bed.
"I don't know what to wear!" Melody said as she kept throwing clothes out of her chest.
"How do you even have so much clothes?" Ella asked her.
Melody didn't answer, just kept looking.
"Mel, you look fine right now." Mackenzie said.
"No, I don't. I wore this for two days straight, that's gross." Melody said.
"Here.. How about... This shirt with these shorts." Mackenzie offered, holding up the clothes.
"Ohhh... That's cute." Melody said as she took the clothes from Mackenzie.
"Thank you so much." Melody said, hugging Mackenzie.
"You're welcome." Mackenzie said with a laugh.

"So what are you planning on talking about?" Jace asks Felix, making sure he won't say anything stupid.
"Uhh I don't know, ice-cream? Cause that's what we're getting" Felix said shrugging.
"I think you sh-" Jace says but he's interrupted by Melody's "hey" when she walks over.
"What the.. Holy crap! Melody isn't wearing makeup! Quick take a picture while you can!" Jace says in surprise and starts to laugh.
"Oh shut up! I wanted to try something different." Melody says.
She didn't wear makeup because she remembered what Felix said about not liking it.
"Who are you?" Felix asked squinting not recognizing the girl that stood in front of him
"Um.. Melody." She says awkwardly.
"I didn't think it was that much of a difference." She adds.
"Oh hi Melody! Are we getting ice-cream now?" Felix asks getting excited for he hasn't had ice-cream in a while.
"Yeah, we just need to get Jordan." Melody says while looking around for him.
Jace pulls Felix over while Melody isn't paying attention.
"Dude, go compliment her. Say she looks nice without makeup or something like that. And don't ask why or anything, just go do it." Jace whispers to Felix.
"Why? I'm just getting ice-cream!" Felix asks anyway.
"Felix. Just go do it, trust me, just do it already." Jace says, starting to laugh at Felix's reaction.
"No! I'm sick of you bossing me around!" Felix says getting annoyed.
"I'm just trying to help! Chill!" Jace says, putting his hands up.
"What are you guys talking about?" Melody asks after overhearing.
"He's bossing me around!" Felix says pointing at Jace like a little kid tattling on their elder sibling.
"Come on Jace, just let him think on his own." Melody says while giggling at how Felix said it.
"Yeah Jace! Let me think on my own!" Felix said sticking his tongue out at Jace.
Melody bursts into laughter while watching them.
"Felix, since when were you five years old?" Jace asks him, getting a little annoyed at how he's acting.
"I'm not five, I'm seven" Felix says jokingly crossing his arms.
"You guys ready?" Jordan yells from over by the gate.
"Yeah!" Melody yells over.
"Come on, stop arguing we have to go." Melody says as she takes Felix's hand and starts to walk to the gate.
Felix makes one last face at Jace before they leave then turns to Melody, his eyes flicker down to their hands.
"Uhh, why are you holding my hand?" Felix asks making a face.
"Why not?" Melody asks while smiling.
"Touché" Felix says eyeing her.
"Okay so, you have an hour, and ten dollars. This is all you get so don't waste it." Jordan tells them as he hands them the money, and enters the code to the door.
"I don't exactly know where this place is.." Melody says as they start walking to the town.
"Me neither, Mackenzie just told me there's one near here and said to ask you, so I guess she assumed you knew" Felix said looking around.
"Oh.. So it wasn't your idea?" Melody asked. She was a little disappointed, but was happy that Mackenzie did this for her.
"No it wasn't, but I'm glad she told me, I love ice-cream, sadly Mackenzie said I can't go by myself so she said to ask you" Felix said starting to feel awkward about holding hands.
"Well she's right, we aren't allowed out of camp by ourselves.. So what kind of ice cream do you like?" Melody asks, changing the subject and trying to ignore what he said.
"I like every flavor" Felix says not keeping eye contact, instead he was looking at his hand which was trying to wiggle free from her grasp.
"Shut up." Melody says suddenly stopping.
She looks around where they're standing in the forest separating the camp from the town.
"I can't shut up, only down, silly" Felix said starting to laugh a little.
"Stop talking!" Melody whispers and covers his mouth with her hand.
They hear a twig snap close by, and then muffled talking.
"Felix.. Run. Run!" Melody yells as she starts to sprint off.
Felix follows her, also sprinting.
"Don't stop until we get to the town!" Melody yells.
They hear a swoosh noise behind them and a dart sticks in a tree a little while ahead with a thump.
"Nice aim, you idiot!" A deep voice shouts.
"You do it then!" Another voice shouts back.
"If one of us gets hit, the other runs back to camp, no exceptions!" Melody says as they keep running.
"Okay.. But are we still getting ice-cream?" Felix asked sounding upset.
"Two guys are trying to shoot us with darts right now and that's all you can think about??!" Melody asks him as they hear another swoosh and a dart hits another tree.
"Well yeah.. That's sorta the whole reason why we're here right now, to get ice-cream" Felix said disappointed.
"LOOK OUT!" Melody yells and shoves Felix out of the way after a dart comes flying out of the trees, missing him by a centimeter.
Suddenly the situation they're in struck Felix
"We gotta get out of here! Forget the ice-cream!!" Felix yelled starting to run even faster
"Wow, I wish I would of thought of that." Melody says sarcastically as she sped up too.
"We're closer to town now than camp, we just have to get there so we're surrounded by people, they can't shoot us there!" Melody says, recognizing where they were.
"Alright, as you can tell my memory is junk, you're going to have to lead the way" Felix says not knowing where they are or where to go.
"Okay just follow me!" Melody yells as she runs forward a little.
Two more thumps of darts hitting the ground behind them make them run faster, trying to avoid getting hit.
"What do you think is in those darts?" Melody asks as they get to a turn in the path.
"Maybe Ketamine, it's a powerful drug that can kill you in minutes by causing heart and respiratory failure." Felix says as he continues to run.
"What scares me is that you know this." Melody replies as they keep running.
"So technically, if that was Ketamine, I just saved your life. Again." Melody adds.
"Maybe, or they could just be normal darts, either way you saved me from something that could've ended horribly" Felix said turning around to look for the people shooting the darts.
"Yeah, you owe me." Melody says.
"Don't let them reach the town!" Someone shouts from the left.
More noises of darts rippling through the air and sounds of darts hitting the ground and tree bark come from all around.
"Just keep running! Don't stop! But if I get hit and die, promise you'll remember me!" Melody yells as they run full speed towards the town.
"Haha that's a good one" Felix said rolling his eyes.
"We're almost there! Just another minute!" Melody says as they see a clearing up ahead.
While they're running Felix doesn't look where he's going and trips over a root in the ground.
"Oww" Felix groaned while holding his knee.
"Felix! Hurry get up!" Melody says as she pulls him up to his feet.
"Are you hurt?" She asks, looking at his knee.
"Noo, I just decided to sit on the floor and practice my 'oww' sounds" Felix said sarcastically.
"Does it hurt when you put pressure on it?" Melody asks.
"Yes, but we don't have time for this! C'mon let's go!" Felix said starting to run again, this time slower.
"They're getting away! Stop them!" The voice from last time comes booming again.
"I'm all out of amo!" Another voice yells.
"It's all in that tree, go get it bonehead." Another voice says.
The rest of the people who actually have some darts left begin to shoot again.
"Hurry! It's easier to shoot us when we're going slower!" Melody says as a dart skims her hair.
"Ugh, I'm trying to run faster but one, I have no idea where I'm going and two, my. Knee. Is. Killing. Me." Felix said trying to speed up.
"Don't worry we're almost there!" Melody says as they get closer to the end.
"Hopefully when we go back they'll be gone." Melody adds, thinking about having to run through the darts again.
"We're out!" Melody says as they run out onto the sidewalk of a street, out of breath.
A few passerby's give them funny looks for just running out of the forest looking crazy.
"How's your knee?" Melody asks.
"Fine I guess.. This place better have some good tasting ice-cream" Felix said his hands on his hips looking around at the town.
"Yeah, after all that, they better." Melody agrees.
"I think the place is in the square.. Or it should be at least." Melody says as she starts to walk in the direction of it.
In about five minutes they find the ice cream shop, which is pretty empty except for an old couple eating sundaes.
"You know what you want?" Melody asks as she takes the ten dollar bill out of her pocket.
"No, I don't" Felix says studying the menu.
"Uhh.. The rainbow cone looks good." Melody says while looking at the menu too.
"Six dollars?! Holy crap.. That's a little ridiculous for ice cream." Melody says after reading the price.
"I'll just get a cherry swirl." Melody decides.
"I'll get... I don't know, I sorta lost my appetite after almost dying" Felix said sluggishly
"Really? You were all excited about going earlier." Melody says while the lady at the window gives them both a dirty look.
"Yeah but that was earlier, before my knee was bleeding and before we almost died" Felix said giving Melody a funny look.
"We don't know for sure we would of died. But we can't go back because that's the way we always use to go to the town, and they're probably waiting in there to ambush us again." Melody says, putting the money away.
"Want me to look at your knee and see how bad you hurt it?" Melody offers.
"No no it's okay, I'll get um.. Cookie dough" Felix said finally deciding.
"Okay." Melody says while smiling and walking up to the window to order.
"Hi, I'll have a medium cherry swirl, and a.. What size cone d'you want?" Melody asks looking over at Felix.
"Uh small, like I said, not really hungry" Felix said bored, his hands in his pants pockets.
"And a small cookie dough." Melody tells the lady.
"That'll be nine dollars and ten cents." The lady says.
Melody hands her the ten dollars, and she gives her back fifty cents.
"Wait.. I need ninety cents back for change." Melody says after counting it.
"Yeah, I just added your tip for you." The lady said, handing Melody the ice cream cones.
"What a jerk." Melody whispers to Felix after handing him his ice cream.
"Oh well, it's only 40 cents" Felix said shrugging.
"I guess you're right.. She's probably related to Elliot, better check your ice cream and make sure it's cookie dough and not chicken." Melody said with a laugh.
Felix forced a small laugh and looked at the ice-cream nervously.
"I'm just kidding." Melody said after seeing his face.
"You wanna sit down?" Melody asks after seeing the little blue picnic tables around the small shop.
"Sure I guess" Felix said with little to no emotion.
"So.. How ya doin'?" Melody asks, breaking the silence.
"I'm okay" He says as he begins to use his hand to support his head.
"Hey Felix. Look up." Melody says as she tries to hide her laugh.
"What?" He asks as he looks up.
"Ha!" Melody laughs as she smears ice cream on Felix's face.
He quickly stands up in shock and looks at Melody, open mouthed, ice-cream dripping off his face.
"Oh my god you look so adorable!" Melody said as she bursted out with laughter.
Felix glared at Melody right before he grabbed his ice-cream and smeared some in her face.
"Oh you did not just.." Melody said as she stood up and smeared more on his face and put some on his hair.
"You look like a marshmallow!" She said as she started laughing again.
Felix gave her a 'really?' Face as some ice-cream fell out of his hair.
"Let me re-fraise that. You look like a cute marshmallow." Melody says with a smile.
"OW!" Felix yelled as he put is head on the table and held it.
"What? What's wrong?!" Melody asked as she leaned over next to him.
"I-it's nothing" Felix said cringing as he held his head, waving her off.
"It's not nothing! You look like you're in pain!" Melody says, concerned.
"I'm always in pain! It's just a migraine!" Felix said holding his head in his hands as he looks down.
"I'm sorry.. I wish you didn't always have to deal with that." Melody says before hugging him.
"It's fine, it's just, ever since the basement.. Wait a second.. " Felix says concerned starting to remember.
"Wait.. What?" Melody asks, confused.
Felix frowned
"Melody, I heard those things you told me when I was in my coma. What you said transferred into my dream" Felix said completely serious, remembering everything.
"Y-you did?!" Melody said feeling her heart start beating faster than she thinks it should.
"Yeah.." Felix said awkwardly as he tried to avoid eye contact.
"Oh kayyy... I'm screwed then." Melody said with a forced laugh.
"OW!" Felix said again holding his head in pain
"What?!" Melody asks, taking a step forward.
"Are you okay?!" Melody asks, seeing his face.
"No, no, no, no" Felix said as he got up and started walking towards the woods.
"Stop! It's not safe in there!" Melody said, grabbing his arm to stop him.
"Please don't go back in there." She says, tightening her grasp on his arm.
"Please help me, I can't handle this much longer, I don't know what she injected into me, but I think it's finally wearing off! I keep forgetting then remembering, then forgetting again!" Felix said getting upset.
"Here.. Maybe this will help you remember something." Melody says before quickly kissing Felix on the cheek.
"No.. That just weirded me out.." Felix said looking at Melody blankly.
"Aww. Want me to try again?" Melody asks with a smile.
"Sure, maybe it'll work this time" Felix said totally believing her.
"Well.. How about this instead." Melody said before taking Felix by the shoulders and pulling him into a kiss, waiting three seconds before pulling away.
She looked at him and smiled.
Felix looked at her with his mouth wide open
"No, no, no, that, that did not work at all!" He said, his voice high.
"You look scared." Melody said, arching an eyebrow.
"No, more like shocked and a little weirded out, I mean no offense or anything it's just that.. You know I don't like you that way and yeah.." Felix said looking down.
"Oh yeah? Maybe that can change." Melody said with a flirty half smile.
Felix heard her tone and looked up at her face, his face flushed a light pink and he quickly looked away again.
"Are you blushing?" Melody asked with a gasp. And beamed.
"No! I- I don't know.. Can we just go now!" Felix said as he turned around and started heading into the woods, his cheeks still a little pink.
"Felix that's the wrong path!" Melody called after him.
"I knew that!" He yelled back as he turned around.
"Yeesh, if you're going to act like that over a simple kiss, what's going to happen if I do it again?" Melody asks, still smiling.
"Look, can we just please go home! I kinda need to use the bathroom" Felix said as he starts to bite his lip, while dancing a little.
"Okayyyyy." Melody says while rolling her eyes.
"It's this way." Melody said, taking his hand again.
"Oh okay thank you" Felix said.
"By the way, I don't know if you remember, but members of The Other Side tried to kill us on the way here. But don't worry, I'm here." Melody says the last part with a wink.
"Yeah, I know, I remember that" Felix said thinking
"Oh no!" He said as he stopped remembering something.
"What?" Melody asks.
"I didn't even get to eat any of my ice-cream" Felix said as he started to get upset.
"Im sorry." Melody says, hugging him a little.
"It's fine, c'mon lets go" Felix said as he grabbed her hand again and continued to walk.
"Wow, you must really wanna go back." Melody said after noticing how fast he was walking.
"Well look!" Felix said as he pointed to the sky which was getting dark fast.
"Oh shoot! It must of been over an hour! We're in so much trouble!" Melody said as she also started to speed up.
"Ohh crap.. I just realized.. It's getting dark, and we have to walk through that forest again. We're screwed! You know how easy it'll be to hit us in the dark? They probably have night vision goggles!" Melody says as she starts to realize what may happen.
"Now do you understand why I want to go back so badly?" Felix asked raising an eyebrow.
"Yeah pretty much. Dang it! Ugh I'm such an idiot! Why didn't I think about this?!" Melody says with frustration as they reach the path.
"Because you were so distracted by my charm and grace" Felix said with an imaginary hair flip.
"Something like that.." Melody says as she takes a step into the woods, tightening her grip on Felix's hand.
"Melody, I think the drug is finally wearing off, ask me something that I could take literally, maybe I'll understand it" Felix said thinking.
"You're hot." Melody tries to say with a straight face but ends up giggling at what she said.
"Noo that's not what I meant! Besides Jace already told me what that means" Felix said one hand on his head.
"Umm.. how about.. Okay, what's up?" Melody asks.
"The sky of course! Which is turning dark really fast! C'mon already we don't have time for mucking around" Felix said starting to walk faster.
"Yeah I don't think that drug is wearing off." Melody said as she looked around the woods for any sign of others.
"Dang it! I thought it was finally over..." Felix said looking down in disappointment.
"Hey, don't worry about it. It's cute when you take things literally." Melody says, trying to make him feel better.
"Enough with this flirting junk! We could die right now! Not to mention I'm not in the mood" Felix says annoyed since he finally thought the drug was wearing off.
"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Can't help it." Melody says.
"So far there's no one here.. Maybe they left?" Melody asks.
The sky is almost fully dark and the only light is coming from the moon.
"Look! I can see the forest ending!" Felix said smiling as he pointed towards the end.
"Really..? That's weird.. Usually it takes longer." Melody says as she also sees the end.
"Maybe we took a different path." Melody adds when they see the camp.
"The way back is always feels shorter than the way there" Felix said shrugging, glad they're finally home.
"Yeah.. Do you have your phone with you? I left mine and I wanna see the time." Melody asks as she knocks on the doors.
"Mines dead" Felix said as he looked at the screen.
"Ugh.. We are going to be in so much trouble if it's past curfew.." Melody says nervously while waiting for someone to get the door.
"What the heck?" She says and knocks again, louder.
"Hey! Let us in!' Felix shouted, banging on the door.
"Hello?!" Melody yells, also banging on the door.
After a few minutes still no one answers.
"Hey! Open the freaking door!!" Melody shouts at the top of her lungs.
"There you are! It's nine thirty! What happened to an hour?" Jordan asks them after opening the door.
"What happened to you? We were standing out here for like ten minutes waiting for you to open the door." Melody says, crossing her arms.
"We're sorry, we got lost in the woods, some people were chasing us with darts, trying to kill us!" Felix said not fully lying.
"Did you guys get hit?" Jordan asks them.
"Yep, we got hit so many times." Melody says sarcastically.
"No, we're fine" Felix said just wanting to go inside already.
"You guys are still in trouble. I said one hour, and you come back in two and a half!" Jordan says, stepping aside for them to walk in.
"Like we said, we got ambushed! And we thought they were still there, we didn't want to go back!" Melody says, defending themselves.
"Yeah, what she said" Felix said trying to help.
"You two, aren't leaving camp for the next week." Jordan tells them sternly.
"And get to bed, everyone else is already asleep most likely, so don't cause too much trouble." Jordan adds.
"Doesn't really matter honestly, we don't need to go anywhere out of camp really." Melody says in a matter- of- fact tone.
"Fine, then for the next week, both of you have a lower curfew." Jordan says adding onto their punishment.
"Get to dorms." Jordan says while pointing at them.
"What the heck? Maybe you don't have anywhere to go, but Jace and I always like to go to town together!" Felix said upset.
"Hey, I just helped you. I made him give us a lower curfew, but we can go to town now." Melody whispered while they were walking to the dorms.
"No we can't, we're banned from leaving the camp and he lowered the curfew, because someone can't keep their mouth shut!" Felix said as he walked towards the dorms.
Melody stopped walking and turned back to Jordan who was checking the door.
"Hey Jordan.. Look I'm sorry that we came late. It was all my fault, I was taking a long time because I wanted to hang out with Felix, and he kept saying that we should go back but I was stalling and it was my fault so just if you have to take away our town privileges, just do it to me, it was my fault and I'm really sorry. Felix doesn't deserve it." Melody says, hoping he'll take what she says into consideration.
"Is this the truth? Or are you just saying this so he won't get into any trouble?" Jordan asks, crossing his arms.
"It is the truth! Ask him if you don't believe me." Melody says.
"Felix! Come back here for a second!" Jordan yells over at Felix who was about to go into the dorms.
Felix sighed and walked back to where Jordan was standing.
"So Melody was telling me how it was her fault you guys were late and I should let you off the hook." Jordan says as he looks at Felix.
"Is that true?" Jordan asks.
"Uhh I don't know, I guess" Felix said shrugging not really knowing what to say.
"Okay.. Melody that's one week for you then, and you have kitchen duty with Elliot for that one week too." Jordan tells her.
"Felix you're good. But next time, I don't care who's fault it is, both of you are in some serious trouble." Jordan tells them.
"I don't think there will be a next time so don't worry" Felix said bored.
Melody looks down at the ground and bites her lip after hearing what he said.
"Okay.." Jordan said, eying both of them before heading off to the teachers' cabin.
"I'm gonna go." Melody mumbles so it's barely legible.
"Me too" Felix said as he walked back to the dorms.
"Hey.. Wait a minute." Melody says, stopping Felix before he walks into the boys' dorms.
"What?" He asks when he turns around.
"I know you're probably not going to say the same.. But besides the part when we almost died, I actually had fun." Melody says smiling.
"Uh-huh" Felix says tired, just wanting to go to bed.
"And one more thing." Melody stops because she starts to laugh.
"Let me guess 'you look cute'" Felix said imitating Melody's tone.
"No, well yes, but that's not what I was going to say. Your hand was sweaty." Melody says as she starts to laugh again.
"So was yours, and I'm sorry that I'm a teenage boy and my puberty hormones affect glands in my skin. Besides its not like I even wanted to hold your hand" Felix said crossing his arms.
"Boy you get upset easily." Melody said, imitating him by crossing her arms too.
"I. Just. Want. To. Sleep. This was a disaster! All I thought we were doing was going on a short walk, getting ice-cream, then heading back! Mackenzie said it wasn't far! Not to mention you made things difficult and I'm still all sticky from that ice-cream you put in my hair" Felix said trying to pull dried ice-cream out of his hair.
"Good night, Felix." Melody says before quickly kissing his cheek and going into the girls dorms before he can react.
"Ugh, why can't she take a hint already? I only want to be friends" Felix said to himself before heading into the boys' dorms.