Chapter 16: He's gone

I walked into the foyer and I saw an attractive woman sitting there as a receptionist, with a smile which I was pretty sure was fake. I walked up to her and I asked her if I could meet Keith. She looked at me as if I was from another planet.

"Do you have an appointment, Miss?"

Ok I hadn't thought about that. What was I going to do? Wait, I am his wife...why would I need an appointment? I looked at her coldly and said, "I'm his wife and I wish to see him."

She stood up immediately. "I'm sorry, ma'am, but Mr. Kirst has left to London"

"To London?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Wait, I'm pretty sure he's up there and he's asking you to lie to me. I want to see him now. What floor is his office in?"

"The top floor, ma'am."

I beckoned at Mary to follow me. We stepped into the elevator and pushed the button to the top floor. How dare he? He was so immature. I was going to get this over with. Started in the seventh grade and it ends now. It has to. I had been pathetic for too long. There was nothing wrong with me yet he didn't like me. He still likes her... why should I be in between them? Why should he torture me? Why should he cause so much pain to me? In a way, it could be my fault. If I hadn't had my hopes up since the day our parents started planning our marriage I wouldn't feel hurt so bad right now. Unfortunately, I'm broken.

The lift stopped and the bell dinged. I got out as soon as the door opened. Another front desk. I walked to her and told her I was Keith's wife and I wanted to see him. She stood up and she told me the same thing as the receptionist in the foyer. I demanded to go look into his office. I wasn't going to believe any of these people. I knew he was in there. He had to be. I stormed towards his office and I had the lady tailing me. I pushed open his door...

Empty.

They weren't lying. I was gone for weeks and he flies on a business trip? He should have at least missed torturing me. I slowly walked towards his chair and looked at his desk.

"When did he go?" I asked the lady.

"Two days ago, ma'am"

His desk was so neat and tidy, nothing out of place, like as if they had been glued there. There were two frames. One of him and his parents and the other was facing down. I slowly raised the other frame...Would it be me? His friends?

It was this pretty girl with brown hair and green eyes. Her eyes wrinkled due to her smile and dimples fell on her cheeks just like it did on mine. She was beautiful. This was his Jessy. Then it occurred to me...maybe, his departure to London wasn't a business trip after all.

I placed the frame on the desk. I walked towards the window and stood there for a moment. I placed my forehead on the glass and as it touched my skin, a tears rolled down my cheeks...my tomorrow is not going to have him and his tomorrow is not going to have me.

He's gone.

author's note: thank you so much again for keeping up with the story. i try to update as soon as i can but school work gets in the way. so forgive me, ok? again, thanks a lot