Chapter 43: Never in a million years

Sarah's POV
We reached the hospital in less than 5 minutes as Keith didn't drive like human being, he drove like a professional racer. I could see just how much he loves his father. We got out of the car in the parking lot and rushed inside the hospital. We saw Keith's mum and Kiara waiting for us in front of the Emergency room. Much to my surprise, Jeremy came from behind them.
"Jer, what are you doing here?" I asked him.
I got the answer from Kiara, "I called Martin about Keith's whereabouts since Keith didn't answer his phone." And at that moment Keith check his phone to see a couple of missed calls from Kiara. She continued, "And he told me that the last he knew was Keith was going to see you. I went to your place and he came along with me after I told him who I was." She said nodding at Jeremy. I nodded and I looked at Keith. He was nervous and he kept throwing fleeting looks while talking to his mother about what happened. I walked over to him and asked him what had happened to his father.
He shook his head and told me that it was his tumor. "There's nothing else we can do now." Keith said with a crest-fallen look.
The doctor came out of the room and said, "You guys have only a few minutes. He wants to talk to you Mr. Keith and Ms. Sarah."
We looked at each other and went in slowly after the doctor moved over to talk to Avery and Kiara.
A lot of tubes and wires were connected to him and he was laying there peacefully. We sat next to him, each of us on either side. His eyelids fluttered and he opened them. As his eyes accustomed to the light in the room, they shined with kindness and love as he looked at us.
"Ah, it's both of you."
Keith visibly swallowed. He was trying so hard not to cry.
"Sarah, I need you to take care of Keith. He might look all tough on the outside, but trust me darling deep inside all that man pride there is a heart."
Keith opened his mouth to argue but his father cut him off, "Don't argue."
I smiled at John.
"Just be patient with him. He takes rash decisions sometimes they are good but sometimes they are bad. When he loves, he gives it all so please darling be patient with him."
He turned to face Keith, "And you, I know you were in love with some other girl, I had my eyes on you when you were in university, I forced you to marry my friend's daughter, hoping you wouldn't mope around about that girl but I did it for your best." "Sarah is a wise girl who would make you stop and think before making any of your rash decisions which is good for business and life." "I know this was an arranged marriage but I want you to grow to love each other like I loved your mother Keith."
Keith gulped and tears were streaming down his face. His heart wasn't made of stone like I thought long time ago. I had started crying when John first started speaking itself.
"I thought you two would have grown to like each other already. Of course I knew Sarah always overtime Keith ever since she was three years old." I blushed scarlet as Keith looked at me questioningly.
"Don't think I missed out on you taking his toy as a remembrance when you paid us a visit just before you left to Australia for 10 years."
I chuckled softly and Keith had his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.
"I really hoped I would get to see a grandchild before I go but I don't it's possible now."
A grandchild? That wasn't going to happen in a million years between me and Keith. We both blushed and avoided eye contact. John reached for our hands and linked mine with Keith's. "For me, please, just stick together, forgive and forget and work through your problems with each other. Neither of you is beneath the other. Both of you are equal. Love and respect each other. I love you both." That was it. I broke into sobs and hugged John. And Keith's tears kept falling so he turned his face away from me. I still held onto his hand so I have it a tight squeeze. John started coughing blood and wheezed out that he wanted to see Kiara and Avery. We went out and told them he wanted to see them. I didn't miss Kiara holding Jeremy's hand and pulling him in along with her. Keith had his back turned to them. He tensed when I kept my hand on his shoulder. He swiftly turned around and grabbed my waist and pulled me in for a tight hug. His face was buried into the crook of my neck and his warm breath gave me shivers through my body. I ran my fingers through his hair to soothe him as he shook with sorrow. He looked so broken. He kept crying. I never thought the monster who abused me would be this man. No way! I can't hold that any longer. Could you imagine a bully break down into tears in front of you? Show his weakness. Show you how hurt he is. He isn't a bully anymore. Well that's how I felt. His eyes were read and his voice was hoarse as he uttered my name, "Sarah."
"Keith I understand, I'm here for you."
He hugged me again and kept me close. I felt him breathe in and out and calm himself. I wasn't going anywhere. Not just for John. For Keith and for me.

Author's note: hey guys!!!!! I'm sorry I couldn't update on Friday cos my grandad came so had to spend time with him. Now I know most of you don't want Sarah to forgive Keith but come on be realistic what would you do if you had someone you loved since you were small, break down like that in front of you? No matter what wrong they did you would want to be there for them if you had a caring heart like Sarah. So please don't be mean to her :( and thank you so much for the reads and votes and comments.