Threats

Addie's P.O.V. 

       My eyes fluttered open before I could regain my consciousness. Momentarily dazed, I fumbled around for my trunk, accidentally yanking the curtains around my four-poster bed. For a second, I imagined that I was back in Durmstrang with those idiots who tried to wake me up by pouring ice water in my sheets. Then, it came back to me. 

      "You're in Hogwarts, Addie," I reminded myself, "no one is going to try to pour ice water or do any of the stupid things they did to you back in Durmstrang. Everything is going to be fine." 

       Fine, as if. 

       Slipping out of my pajamas, I did a pirouette before changing into my black robes. Ignoring the stares of the other girls, I hurried downstairs to the Great Hall with Izzy in tow, yawning repeatedly. I knew it was a mistake to play Wizarding Chess until midnight. "I have to go to Ancient Runes, Addie, so you will have to go to Care of Magical Creatures by yourself," she said in mid-yawn, accidentally buttering a tea cup in her drowsy state. 

      I chuckled, "Don't worry about me, Izzy, just try to get through Ancient Runes." Izzy threw me a lazy hand gesture before she face-planted in her bowl of porridge, while a brown-haired boy came up to us with an exasperated look on his face, pulling out Izzy's submerged head. 

     "I'm Will," the boy introduced, as he wiped the smears of Izzy's porridge off his robes, "and I am unfortunately the friend of this weirdo." 

     I smirked. "I like your attitude Will, I am also the friend of this weirdo," I replied, shaking his hand politely while Izzy threw us covert threatening looks. 

     Retracting my hand, my attention turned towards the schedules that were being handed out by Professor Merrythought, the head of Hufflepuff House and our teacher for Defense Against the Dark Arts. Scanning the piece of paper, I found that Izzy and I were indeed separated by Ancient Runes and Care of Magical Creatures, which I got to take with Will. "Take good care of her, Will, or I will curse you with an ancient rune," Izzy said seriously, before winking at me and disappearing up the spiral staircase. 

      "She is failing Ancient Runes," Will snickered as soon as she was out of earshot and turning towards me, he offered me his arm. "Shall we?" he asked with mock politeness. Brushing off his hand, we made out way out into the school grounds. The day was truly beautiful with a golden sun and gossamer clouds suspended in a blue sky. The perfect day for carnage. Stretching imperiously, I jogged with Will towards the back of the school, where a disgruntled middle-aged woman was ushering the students towards something that resembled a gigantic sandbox. 

      Inside, an astonishing number of small animals were scampering inside, orange sparks clashing in the air as they skirted around. Looking closely, I recognized them to be some sort of fox with pointed ears and an adorable furry face that melted the hearts of many girls here. 

    "Careful," said the professor briskly, "and please put your dragon hide gloves on. Phyrefoxes are more lethal than they are cute. One touch from a full-grown fox is enough to incinerate you into a pile of ashes." After making sure everyone had secured their gloves, she snapped hers on before saying, "Now, I managed to get some of the cubs, so they shouldn't be as dangerous. Your job is to make them light those torches," she pointed at the braziers, "and make sure that they don't burn you. Full marks for the person who manages to light the torch without any magic."