Serpents and Roosters

Addie's POV

Framing. It was not all what many people thought it was. It was certainly not as grandiose or intricately fabricated as people supposed it was. Sometimes, framing a person was simply done by accident or to remove the blame from oneself. Yet, despite things, everyone knew subconsciously the truth. Yet, more than once, they would be willing to ignore the facts and laud the instigator. Framing. People did it everyday without batting an eye.

I watched in the Great Hall as Professor Dippet announced cheerfully that Hogwarts would not be closing and that the Mandrake Draught was ready to be administered to those who were petrified. Stunned applause, as Will and I leapt with joy. Then, when the crowd had quieted, he had spoken, "Now, this will all be the most special and proud moment in Hogwart's history. One student has risen above all others and taken courage, risk, and extreme loyalty to ensure all of our safety. Tom Riddle, come forth!" All Four Tables erupted into applause and stamped their feet, especially Slytherin as the handsome boy walked towards the podium, where Professor Dippet shook his hand and awarded him a gleaming silver trophy. Even in the distance, I could see the gold engraving: Tom Riddle--for Special Services to Hogwarts.

I folded my arms. I had no idea how deep Tom Riddle was in this deceit, but I would have wagered that he had something to do with Myrtle's death. How sickening it all was-- the school applauding for a cold blooded murderer. Later that evening, though, my thoughts all evaporated. The familiar grey eyes and laughing face walked through the portrait hole into the dormitory; her face pale but her stance strong.

"Izzy!!!!" I lunged at her, nearly knocking her off her feet as Will embraced her so tightly that she could have suffocated. The entire Hufflepuff House had joined in to celebrate; as I nicked bundles of treats for the party goers in the kitchens. All courtesy of the astounding house elves.

Izzy, herself, ate stack after stack of cream puffs-- stuffing her mouth as if she would never see food again. She gave me a sheepish smile. "Well, I certainly wasn't fed any confections during my stay in the Hospital Wing," she said. As the hours ticked by, the Hufflepuffs all retired early to go to sleep. After tomorrow, winter break would begin. Soon, only the three of us-- Will, Izzy, and I were left in the Common Room; seating ourselves on armchairs around the roaring fire.

I now ventured to ask Izzy the question. "Hey," I said, nudging her, "so how did you get petrified?"

I expected Izzy to be uncomfortable, perhaps even hesitant, but she replied easily, "I was practicing the bubble head charm for Professor Shire, and then, I blanked out."

I frowned. "What?" I asked, expecting something far more dramatic.

Izzy shrugged, stuffing her mouth with a jelly pastry, "I said I blanked out. I don't remember anything."

I took a deep breath. I hated doing this, but it was necessary. I dove into Izzy's mind; trying to find the memory that she had described. I slumped. She was right. She was practicing in the library and then the whole memory faded out. But Izzy swallowed, asking me a question in turn. "But why are you asking me?" she asked.

"I was just wondering about the monster...you know-- the monster that did all of this," I said; knowing that Izzy could spot if I was lying.

She shrugged nonchalantly. "It doesn't matter does it? I heard Tom Riddle solved it all. Who knew Rubeus Hagrid could be a murderer?"

Will's jaw was set. "Who cares about that oaf?" he said acidly, "I heard he is now facing expulsion and an inquiry from the Ministry. Good riddance!" he spat heavily, "that serves him right for petrifying and killing Myrtle."