The Blood Line

"Sit down, Robins, we have much to discuss," Tom Riddle spoke smoothly, his feet propped up on a footstool. His eyes gleamed with triumph. 

  I took a seat from across from him. "I admit, Robins," he murmured, "you are full of surprises. But I warn you, I can see if you are lying or not."

"Get on with it," I said through gritted teeth, "I have more important things to do than listen to an insane lunatic."

He smiled, as if I had just paid him the most handsome of all compliments. "My mother," he began, "was a simple witch with a great descent-- from one of the descendants of Salazar Slytherin. I found that the minute I realized about my skill of Parseltongue." I was silent. "My father--" his voice darkened, "was a filthy, good for nothing Muggle. I researched fruitlessly for some family name; some ancient lineage until now." His eyes gleamed red again. "I have found a lead."

I listened, this time, not acquiring a saucy remark. Sooner of later, he would reveal his motives. "At the orphanage where I was born, my witch mother died after giving birth," he said, as I remembered the memory from Headmaster Dippet, "such a powerful lineage-- such a noble line was brought into the dark by Death. So I began to find a way, combing my way through the Restricted Section and tried to find a way around it. I-- last, noble descendent of Salazar Slytherin would not succumb to the human weakness of death." He spoke it all with pride and utmost arrogance, but I began to realize. An orphanage was no place where a child should grow up-- the death and loss of his mother made him afraid. The aching void from the absence of his mother made him afraid. Because he was not supposed to feel; he was supposed to be immune to emotions. Yet, I was still apprehensive. I remembered the times when I had encountered him in the library-- that, too, must have all been in the search for immortality. How funny the world was that to gain eternal life meant to kill so many other lives to gain. But why was he telling me all of this?

He looked at me straight in the eyes, his stare unfaltering. "I am already beyond death, but I would not choose to take the chance. Salazar Slytherin, had he still been alive, would have gone further, and so must I."

He snapped his fingers; a sharp, ringing sound and summoned a book towards me. The cover was emblazoned with ancient Runes. "Darkest and Damnable Deeds." Each page was a horror to surprise the last.

I looked up at him, comprehension dawning upon my mind. "How many times--" I began.

He cut me off. "That is not important,"'he said coldly, "but you will help me find the proper items for the Horcruxes."

I laughed bitterly. "That is a funny joke, Riddle-- but I do not care for the punch line. If you want to curse your soul into oblivion, you do it yourself. Don't drag me into your puny quest for immortality." 

Waving my wand towards the shield barrier, I said quickly, "Finite Incantatem." The barrier dissolved; as the door materialized. This time, Riddle did not need conjuring spells to keep me at bay.

"Then I suppose you don't want to save your Hufflepuff friends--" My hand hung, suspended near the doorknob. I felt the room turn icy as I pivoted on my heel to face him.