The Sorting Hat Effect

Okay, so first thing's first.

1) This is not an update.
2) If you get easily triggered, continue reading. This is meant for you.

You know, I have a feeling that because I don't say anything back to impolite stuff, that I am giving people permission to continue to criticize me without a good reason. I'm also getting the impression that people think that it is okay to do that and think that I don't have any feelings to hurt.

I first published this book when I was in seventh grade. So far so good. I had many faithful readers and met really great people who helped me with the writing process and gave me the strength to continue to pursue my dream of writing. Now I would like to think that I'm a pretty polite person. Maybe part of that is my doormat personality but I'm not really the kind of person to go out of my way and fight with people (trust me, there were moments in my life that I really wanted to kick someone in the face). But this is ridiculous.

I will give you three guesses as to what those 104 comments are on

At first, I laughed along with the comments. Sure, people have their own opinions and it's perfectly alright to express them. But then those same comments repeated....for THREE WHOLE YEARS.

And just to be clear, I'm not just talking about the comments where: "Oh, I think she belongs in Slytherin/ Gryffindor/ Ravenclaw" but also a lot of comments that I felt were pretty rude.

Here are some examples:

"Nope, I'm out."

"No."

"Bye, I'm leaving."

"Why? Slytherin fits her character!"

"Hufflepuff is such a useless, pathetic house!"

"I hate it!"

E.t.c, E.t.c

Because multiply each of the first three by 20+ and that still doesn't fill up those 104 comments. Yeah, I heard the same comments for three years and it's beginning to make me more than slightly irritated.

Not put in context, these words seem like nothing. But believe it or not, the first thing I do when I wake up in the morning is check my notifications. And frankly, when the first thing you see when you wake up are those comments, let me just say that the feeling is less than pleasant. Imagine someone telling you that they won't read your book because the second chapter of your fifty-five part book that you worked so hard on has a protagonist that's in a house that they don't like. Just for that one little reason, they won't give your book a try. Yup, they judged your entire plot and character development just like that. Now, imagine seeing this repetitively for three whole years. Doesn't that suck?

Now, I'm not saying all of you do this. There have been some really nice people who supported it as well. Some people even changed their point of view at the end and expressed this as well. And trust me, I'm thankful.