A New Beginning

Addie's POV

****

   Spring passed quickly in a flurry of OWLS that left me more dead than alive and then before anyone knew it, it was summer break. Students poured out of the halls like baby birds when they were ready to fly from their nests. "Come on," Izzy said as the carriage arrived at the train station, "I'll go get us some seats," she beamed as she disappeared among the compartments in the Hogwarts Express. Will followed close behind. No doubt they were trying to sneak in a make out session. 

  I thought hard about my plans. I had to live at an orphanage for the summer and then come back when term started. I sighed. Things could be worse. I heard a whistle in my ear. I looked up. Roger. Roger Davies. The good looking prick was smirking at me. "How was earning Hufflepuff's first Quidditch Cup in years?" he asked mockingly. 

   "As happy as I would be at your funeral, Davies," I said to the Ravenclaw Seeker and pervert, "what's the deal?" 

   "Do I need an excuse to talk with my partner at the Slug Dinner Party?" he asked, feigning innocence. 

   "What do you want?" I rolled my eyes. 

   "You know, Robins--" he wet the tip of his finger and scrubbed off an imaginary dirt stain off my face, "there is a lot of gossip around you lately." 

 "Really, do tell," I said boredly. 

   "Between you and--" he paused for emphasis, looking at me straight in the eye, "Tom Riddle." I made no reaction. "So," he said in a lower voice "how is Riddle like in bed?" I looked up sharply. Of course. School rumors would have made me out as a red haired prankster who sold herself out every night. Typical. 

   "You sound agitated by this information, Davies," I lied fluently, "is Annabelle Carson not enough for you anymore? Don't take it personally, you were never much of a catch anyway." 

  He chuckled ruefully. "No need to be hostile, just curious, Adeline," he said, "if I was mistaken, didn't you used to hate Riddle?" he asked. 

   "There is a very thin line between hate and love, Roger," I answered, pretending to keep up this act, "is this one of Skeeter's interviews? I know your nose is too big, but you are trying to poke it too far into someone else's business." 

  Davies dropped his smile. "All I'm saying is watch your back, Robins," he murmured, his voice serious and his eyes no longer twinkling, "Riddle is dangerous, and he will kill you just like he did Myrtle." 

   I looked up in surprise. How did he know about the murder? But winking at me deviously, Davies disappeared into the Prefect compartment. I narrowed my eyes, but levitating my trunk, I made my way into the train and the empty compartment that Izzy saved for all three of us. She was eating her way through Bertie Bott's every flavor beans nonchalantly, not even puckering her lips at the earwax flavored one. It was hard not to admire someone who could do that. 

   "So what are you doing for the break?" I asked Izzy.