A Horcrux

***

Dedicated to Hyperactive_Angel

You guys might not know, but she actually helped me with the first writer's block in the early chapters and this book was continued thanks to her help. Btw, she has really good books; you guys should check them out :D

****

    Mark did not writhe in pain for long. The Cruciatus Curse was hardly needed, but I let my revenge get the better of me. I quickly used the same charm that Tom used to plant in the mind of Morfin and waving my wand, I cast the spell. I couldn't kill him, at least not yet, while Grindelwald was still in power. He would undoubtedly suspect. 

    I took a deep breath. I had to see whether Tom was alright. I was trained sufficiently to find specific locations. "Lumos," I whispered as the point of my wand glowed brilliantly. Tom would undoubtedly move away from the camp; he wasn't a dull fool. I ran lightly; before freezing. Footsteps. Hastily casting the Disillusionment charm, I saw a pack of the Albanian stragglers running away; some injured horribly but managing to flee nonetheless. 

   Good. It meant he was ahead. Yet, I felt a slight twinge of unease. I walked further and further; time unknown to me until I heard a sound; a cry of agony. I sprinted as fast as I could towards the voice, but another force inside of me made me approach cautiously. I was still invisible. Brushing through the leaves, I found one of the Albanian scavengers on the ground. He wasn't moving. I felt my heart beat in my chest as I stared into those empty, unblinking eyes. He was dead. 

  My eyes moved towards the kneeling figure beside him. Tom. He was writhing in obvious agony; sweat dripping profusely down his face as he seemed to be in the middle of some kind of unseen torture. I half imagined the Cruciatus Curse, but the nature felt too dark. I looked at the object in front of him. My heart skipped a beat. A gleaming crown embedded with dark blue jewels-- the diadem. 

   I wanted to cry out, to stop what was happening but my feet were rooted to their place. He was trying to move the part of his soul into the object. I had my wand in my hand, but I had the feeling that interfering would bring worse consequences. I had no choice. 

   I stiffened. An unmistakable sound of feet breaking through the underbrush. My eyes zoned onto a conscious Nikolai, broken free of his bonds. I cursed. I had forgotten about him in the commotion. He pointed his wand at Tom, seeing him next to the dead body. "Stupefy!" 

   I reacted instantaneously. "Protego!" I cried out, the shield charm blasting away the curse, alerting Tom, who fumbled for his wand, as I saw a faint light appear from his chest. He waved his wand, and that light sank into the diadem. 

  "Stupefy!" he managed to cry out, his teeth gritted as the assassin flew backwards, stunned. He turned towards my direction, his eyes narrowed. The charm melted away from me, revealing my form. His eyes widened for a fraction of a second. I realized why. I had saved him-- the murderer, the one who threatened those I loved, the one who reminds me cruelly of Grindelwald. In essence, I had saved Voldemort. I could have let him die. 

   I was shaken just as much as he was. I had just saved a murderer. Did he deserve to live? But Tom Riddle quickly recovered, his face covered with an expressionless facade. "What's wrong with your left arm, Robins?" he asked.