For The Greater Good

Addie's POV

"I can see through you and I can see nothing." 

-Adeline Robins

******

    "Avada Kedavra!" 

   I thought death wasn't painful. That was before the green jet hit my chest, the feeling of being slammed by a gigantic boulder, just from the impact alone. I allowed myself to fall backwards, feeling the ring around my neck splinter and crack into pieces. I closed my eyes and I remembered......

    We were dancing, before he offered me the hairpin, placing it neatly in my hair. I fought off my dilemma; I couldn't do this alone. "Can you follow me?" I asked. Tom gave me a side long glance but he nodded, before I caught him by the hand and forced him to follow me up the winding staircases. Seventh floor. Room of Requirement. The bronze knob appeared before I jerked the door open with my strength and closed it securely behind the both of us. 

    I breathed in, my shoulders taut with tension. I agonized over the decision too many times, I had to put my plan into motion. "I once saved your life in Albania--" I said, my voice getting slightly smaller, "I know you don't share any moral ethnics, but at least answer me this, can you accept a bargain?" 

    Tom's face was expressionless. "It depends on what the deal is," he said. 

    I forced myself to continue, "A life for a life. The price of your life in order to save mine. I need your help." 

   For once, the boy in Slytherin didn't so much as allow a cocky smirk. He sensed the seriousness in my tone, the fear. "What is it?" he asked coolly, "what do you need help with?" 

   I looked at him steadily. "Help me kill Grindelwald," the words left my tongue, unable to return. 

   A flicker of something on his face. Disbelief. "How?" 

   That was his first question. Not "why" but "how". That meant that he was not disinterested. I took in a deeper breath. "I need you to help me bait Grindelwald; travel to Numengard with me and give up Marvolo's Ring as bait." Tom didn't look at  me for a moment. 

   "Why?" his voice was placid. 

    "Your ring is actually the Resurrection Stone-- one of the three Deathly Hallows," I answered, gauging his reaction. He looked baffled. 

   "Don't tell me you are into superstition," Tom scoffed, "what is this, mere children's literature?" 

    He didn't know. "It doesn't matter," I said coldly, "Grindelwald believes it is and your Ring contains what he believes in. He will stop at nothing to get it, and we need to use it as bait." 

   "You are right," he said, "I don't believe in some pathetic life bargain. What do you have to offer me, Robins?"