Aragog

*The title autocorrected to Aragorn. If any of my fellow Lotr fans are out there; you will knowXD

***

"She was killed in the Girl's Bathroom," the whispers preceded me before I heard the grave announcement. Myrtle Warren had been killed the previous night, by sources unknown. I was numb. How could it have happened? A part of me whispered suicide, but it was unfathomable. A string of attacks had been led on in Hogwarts-- people found, petrified, their faces unmoving. There was only one thing that I had found-- all of those victims were of Muggle descent. Half bloods and muggles alike.

  Professor Dippet had announced, earlier this morning, about the severity of the situation. All students were to stay in their dormitories and the prefects were placed in charge around the rooms. That was not even half of it. I swallowed as I made my way out of the portrait hole, casting my Disillusionment charm. It was imperative that I go, unnoticed. I walked into the softly lit Hospital Wing, the smell of sterile and clean sheets stinging my nose. I turned towards the bed on the right. Izzy.

  Her face was frozen; her once shining grey eyes reduced to gravel. Her skin was clammy and icy to the touch, as if she had been preserved in ice. I felt as if I had entered a time capsule; all around, corpse-like people were petrified and unmoving. I was the living among the dead.

   I was about to leave when I heard a soft voice. I turned quickly. Madame Pompona.

  "I know you are there," she said placidly, placing a bundle of blankets on a nearby table, "you can forget about the Disillusionment charm."

  I gulped; and with a splatter like an illusion, I emerged from the spell. Madame Pompona did not even look up. "Adeline Robins," she stated, now beginning to soak a few cloths, "I see you haven't quite changed your ways."

  I was shocked, to say the least. How could a school nurse see past my magic? "Do you mind?" she asked, handing me a few cloths with a flick of her wand, "these are warm cloths; I am trying to get their body temperature to stay stable."

  I resisted the impulse to bolt for the door and accepted them. "Can't you just feed them a potion or something?" I asked, shifting my weight, "that would be more effective."

  Madame Pompona gave me a side long glance. "There would be no different than being a Potions Professor, Robins-- there would be no need for me to be in this school at all then." Her eyes softened as she saw Izzy. "But you are right. Potions would be more effective, but half the things that ail them can be cured with love." I raised one eyebrow.

   "You don't believe me," she continued, "but it is true. I told you, there would be no need for nurses if there are already Potionmasters. My mother was a St. Mungo's nurse, herself--" she pointed to the picture on the wall of a stern faced woman as she worked, "but the funny thing is-- physical injuries can be cured but what most people need is something that can heal them from their wounds underneath." Madame Pompona swirled her wand; potion bottles rearranging themselves. I knew well enough what she was talking about. But love had only hurt me in the past; love failed me ever since I was born. It might seem true in the beginning, but in the end, love would only disappoint.

She watched me as I placed the damp cloth on Izzy's icy forehead. She smiled slightly. "You would make good nurse," she said, "but I suppose that your pranking ability would go in the way." I looked up at her, surprised, then looked back down at Izzy. Could a person who committed so many crimes be allowed to save? When I thought of my future, there was nothing. If I was lucky, I would die, finishing my goal.