Etching Frost

I put down my glass.

"Fine, let's dance," I said, as Rogers smiled tightly before leading me to the floor, where other couples were shifting uneasily. Tom didn't pay the least attention to us, but I thought I could see his eyes flash red for a moment, even though he didn't even spare us a glance.

If Rogers noticed, he didn't seem that bothered. Liberally, he placed his hand on my waist and the other clasping my hand before drawing me close to his chest. He smirked, "Too close for comfort?"

"No, I'm pretty sure it's just your breath."

He smirked even wider before leading me in a swift waltz, spinning me at arm's length but also taking heed to dip me in what other girls perceived as seductive. I didn't need to look at Tom to feel the room suddenly spiking in tension. For a solid minute, we did nothing but dance, enjoying it despite myself. "So what do you need to tell me?" I finally asked, knowing that the music overshadowed our conversation.

He didn't reply, only spun me back so that my back crashed into his arms. He twirled a strand of my hair playfully before whispering in a low voice, "Are you enjoying this?" he asked.

"Do you want to hear my honest answer?" I asked back, pretending to say something flirtatious.

I knew his game. He had the reputation of a pervert, anyone would just assume that he was just saying something else that was derogatory towards me. For a moment, I was impressed at his own mask that he created for the world to see him as. He now whispered, "Revelare ignis." I looked up in surprise, though internally, shock flooded my veins. The incantation was secret even among the rebellion, only reserved for those of high status and importance. I had taken great pains to know the secret words, as well as precautions. It was the one that I used to contact the Supreme Leader with my ring. That meant that he was....

Our eyes met. "What business do you have with Grindelwald?" I asked in a soft voice as he released me, spinning me back into the music.

His eyes flashed slightly at the name but he disguised it with a charming smile. "I'd rather not say in front of this company," he said, "but you are not the only one to have lost a loved one to that bastard." I could see an unfamiliar stab of pain reflected in his eyes, coiled perfectly into the playboy that he worked so hard too keep. I could see him losing control. "I joined as soon as I heard that she was captured by his filthy henchmen. She might be dead for all I know--" his step faltered for an instant before I helped him regain his pulse, "--or perhaps trapped in Numengard, begging him to kill her."

I looked at him. "Why did you follow me?"

He smiled, this time, a melancholy one. "I was ordered to keep an eye out for you. The Supreme Leader is many things, but she is not disregarding."

"She suspects me," the words were blunt as they left my mouth, "she believes that I am caught up in my act with Grindelwald."

He chuckled, "People have no choice but to be wary of you, Adeline Robins. You not only have great power, but you are able to hide your emotions from even yourself. It is natural for people to fear you--" he continued, "--especially when you are able to take out two fully trained assassins of Grindelwald while sneaking under the Trace."

"Any news?" I asked suddenly, "what else do you have to tell me?"

He narrowed his eyes. "I am getting no other message; apparently the rebellion in Albania is going well, but that is cause for suspicion. If we think alike, Robins, you would know that Grindelwald doesn't give up anything so easily. I am inclined to think that it is a trap."