Tears for the Weak

"Remember me and smile, for it's better to forget than to remember me and cry."

-Dr. Seuss

******

Addie's POV

*****

   Hogwarts was blissfully empty, the students in their classes without a thought in their minds. I must leave as quietly as I had come here. That was the nature of a true departing; to escape without notice. The Ministry official who had come to collect me was a middle-aged man with blond hair and a slight scar on the side of his face. He looked to be an Auror. 

     I tied my hair back slowly, dragging out the minutes as I saw Dumbledore and him conversing in his office. I took a deep breath, willing myself not to show my fear. For one day, at least, I must act like a Gryffindor. The man shuffled towards me, his blue eyes slightly on edge, but I saw the intensity behind them. He didn't seem quite as pleasant, but I could detect no sinister meaning behind his posture. "Come on, girl," he said, slightly gruffly, "no need to be nervous, I'm not going to kill you."

    "That would be the first," I muttered, before reminding myself to watch my mouth. 

     The man looked at me intently before laughing. "Got some spunk? Good, I would almost be disappointed if you weren't. Your name is Adeline, right?" 

    I nodded, before I asked, "And you would be?" 

   "Alastor Moody," he answered coolly, "Dumbledore seems to have a high respect for you; says that you don't deserve all this." 

  "I do," I replied. 

   "Good," he nodded, "at least you aren't delusional. Personally, I wouldn't be too worried if I were you. You still helped bring down your bastard of a father--" he grunted, "and the Ministry isn't as heartless as they might seem-- though--" he made an expression of thought, "--they could be brainless at times. But my gut is always right," he patted me on the shoulder, "you've got heart, it's hard to find people like that nowadays." 

   I simply inclined my head towards him before walking along with him through the corridor and towards the entrance. The air was slightly damp, and filled with the scent of rain. I blinked as a drop fell on my nose. I had left the Marauder's Map under the hump of the stone witch. It had served its purpose. 

  Alastor Moody suddenly stopped in his tracks. I could feel myself stiffening, my throat catching on its own breath. Tom was standing in front of us, silent, his eyes piercing into mine. I inhaled sharply, alerting the Auror. He must have realized what had happened. Alastor Moody, however, pretended not to notice, and prepared to side-step Tom, but not before I heard Dumbledore's voice from the doors. "Alastor!" he called, his eyes expressionless. It was all he had said, but I felt the Auror twitching his wand. Respect for Dumbledore. Respect was a weapon as well. 

  "Fine," he growled, "but only five minutes." Walking towards Dumbledore, he left us alone. 

   I closed my eyes, knowing that he was advancing, step by step. One foot going after the other. I felt his presence draw near, the space stifling with intensity. I opened my eyes.