Different Twists of Fate

Addie's POV    *Train leaving from Hogwarts*

Btw,, this is when you will hate me. But whatever happens, whatever twist occurs, I want you to know I had a reason, not because I wanted to be cliche. Stay calm, all will be revealed in time. 

*****

      I bundled the coat around me, as I flicked my hand, the trunk levitating beside me. It was completely empty, and for good reason-- there was little chance that I would return to Hogwarts. I had fulfilled my 'purpose'. There was no reason to come back at all. All I needed was to get to King's Cross; from then on, to Knockturn Alley. The Leaky Cauldron had its Floo Powder network all closed off to Bulgaria, only just recently. This Ministry of Magic was unbelievably slow. But then again, it couldn't see me manipulating the Trace-- something that Grindelwald had taught me ever since I was a child. I was born for espionage. Infiltrate and destroy. I checked my watch. My trunk was empty precisely just to keep up appearances. 

   From here on out, it all depended on my stability and power of mind over magic. I lowered the brim of my hat ever so slightly, my eyes detecting the slightest bit of movement. Tom Riddle was  with his group of friends, chatting amiably, but his eyes darted ever so slightly towards me. The orphanage-- he would never just go there, not in winter vacation. I felt a smirk on my lips. He was definitely a talented actor. Of course, to anyone but him, it would be improbable as to why I would return as well. Suspicion was defining mask. He would stick to his plan and follow me without a doubt. But I forced myself to tug down the corners of my lips. Whatever I had to do next was crucial. Love could not stand in the way. 

     As the train whistled, I entered into it. This was the late train, or the secondary one for those leaving on holidays. The first one left, with both Izzy and Will on it; Will having the tedious task of going to Izzy's house to meet her parents. A rush of foreign emotion filled me. Melancholy? I would never see either of them. I sat down in my compartment, watching as the train left its station. 

    Countryside went past, and time rushed just for me. The subtle laughs of the departing students resounded in my ear when I made my way off the train. No sign of Tom. I readjusted the brim of my hat, tugging it down as the crowded London streets hid me from view. 

     Keep walking. 

     Forced to breathe. 

   Look over my shoulder. 

  This pattern seemed to repeat a hundred times before I tapped upon the bricks of Diagon Alley. I made the familiar way, my body in a rhythm of anxiety. I saw the familiar faces of the ruffians who tried to assault me when I first went to Borgin & Burkes. "Well, hello again, sweetheart--" the first one leered at me again as his friends emerged, "guess you'r little gentleman ain't here now, ain't he?" I twitched my fingers, for once, letting my power resume at full force. The crackle of magic. The man suddenly howled in pain as ice crept over his skin, burning his flesh slowly with the cold. 

   The leader screamed, fleeing for his life while his followers were evidently frightened, edging backwards. I said in a cold voice, "Next time any of you linger in my vision again; each second in front of my presence, you will lose a limb."

      No more words. They fled like scurrying mice.