Life's but a Walking Shadow

Addie's POV

Yes, I stole that Macbeth line....I should really be sued...that's right, Graves *cough cough* Grindelwald, give me that gif glare...

*****

  In the lower level, I saw something. A bird's egg; yet alive with flames. The shell cracked, and then I saw the head of fire; and the beak of a creature.....

    Tom and I had successfully destroyed the weapons of the lower level, occasionally throwing the interesting things that we found towards our opponents. Most had fled, Apparating elsewhere-- but the Ministry of Magic would not be idle. Once their master was gone, they were the sheep without their shepherd. I shot a Stunning spell at another of Grindelwald's followers, while Tom cast the body binding ones. They were easy meat to collect once we had bound them. 

    Despite myself, I forced my eyes to turn upwards towards the hill tops. Shouts of spells, both verbal and nonverbal reached my ears like the plague and conjuring defense crippled each offense. I saw Grindelwald; his stance and wand arm were straight, but I could see a visible tremor. He was tiring. They said that the battle lasted for three hours, yet for me, each moment was of apprehension. If Grindelwald wins.....

      I gripped my wand tightly as Tom and I watched from a distance. Grindelwald was different than Dumbledore; rasher and angrier. He was never a man of any patience; he would lash out soon. In a minute, I saw the move. Dumbledore was busy with parrying a devastating attack of spells. His wand arm shot out to kill his former companion. "Avada Kedavra!" I heard the screech and the green jet of light. It was ill timed-- a desperate move for a desperate man. 

    "Expelliaramus!" The command was nonverbal and swift; the wand flying out of his reach and into Dumbledore's as the Killing Curse sailed over his bowed head; shooting towards a tree and igniting it in flames. A simple spell; crippling the former Dark Lord. I saw the Elder Wand in Dumbledore's hand. 

     It had a new master. My eyes met his blue ones as slowly, I nodded my assent. A powerful weapon like that shouldn't be in the hands of a bloodthirsty lunatic, it was better off in the hands of a man of peace. I swallowed as both Tom and I waved our wands, Apparating to the hilltop as Dumbledore conjured ropes, shackling Grindelwald with his own body. The wizard didn't look broken in the least. His eyes weren't defiant. They were calm, a strange calm. "You won," the words left his tongue. 

    Dumbledore didn't reply. 

    He didn't say anything else to him until the bright flashes of light appeared, the Bulgarian Minister appearing, his face ashen. His eyes bulged, as did the others that followed him. "You---you--" he stuttered, before he cleared his throat. He seemed unsure of whether the bonds could hold the Dark Wizard. "We shall take him to our prison--" he began, bowing his head towards Dumbledore, "we thank you, Albus Dumbledore, we very---" 

   Dumbledore cut him off politely, "I believe that a normal prison cannot hold him, he has escaped from many before. Might I suggest Numengard? It would be a better option." 

   The man didn't look offended at all, as he bowed again, "Whatever you suggest, sir." 

   I heard Grindelwald's chuckle. I knew what it meant. How poetic, locking me in my own prison