Spiraling Descent

Addie's POV

    I pulled my coat around my form as I entered Diagon Alley, the bricks shuddering as they opened up for me. All around, shops filled with magical goods hovered in the air and the delicious smell of enchanted food made my stomach growl. "Focus Addie," I told myself sternly as I walked past a hag, who was selling an orb filled with oozing green liquid. "Ten sickles-- a real bargain," she promised, but I simply walked past her. The last time I checked, if something did not have a single Knut to its deal; then it wasn't a true bargain. More like a ripoff. 

   I veered sharply to the left, as I entered the gloomy shop that cut into the brightness of the ice cream parlor nearby. Borgin and Burkes was emblazoned on the top; the words slightly rusted. The 'o' in Borgin seemed to stare at me ominously as I walked in, the bell twinkling faintly. Everything from goblin armor to cursed artifacts was sold here; this shop had no shortage of admirers back in Durmstrang. I walked past a skeletal hand clutching a vibrant necklace of opals, my heels clicking sharply on the floor. There was a rustle of movement, then Borgin-- an oily man in his 30's leered at me from the counter. His teeth were yellowed with tobacco juice, and I half wanted to offer him an astounding Muggle artifact called the toothbrush. 

   "Now, what's a pretty little thing like you doing here?" he asked mockingly, his eyes shifting to my red hair, and far lower than necessary. I suppressed a shudder. 

   "I have come to bargain," I said, and his eyes immediately lit up at the word "bargain." In a flash, he flicked his wand-- summoning a tray of old tea and a plate of stale biscuits-- placing it before us on the counter. He licked his lips, as if he could smell the money underneath my coat. 

    "What have you come to bargain for, sweetheart?" he purred, as I stiffened at the demeaning title. 

   Nevertheless, it was essential that I procured the item before anyone else. I straightened my back. "I believe that you have something of immense value traded off here-- it should look ancient and mystic in nature." Borgin spread his arms invitingly. 

   "Look around, darling," he said, with a glint in his eyes, "this is the sweet paradise of forgotten mystic lore." I took his hint. Strolling about, I walked past grotesque masks and preserved animal heads until I stopped dead. I had found it. I carefully picked the object up, before setting it down on the counter. 

   Mr. Borgin's oily smile vanished immediately. "Who are you?" he hissed, his hand shooting out to intercept the artifact, but I had the reflex of a Seeker. I snatched it back, holding teasingly in the air. 

   "Now, now, Mr. Borgin," I said silkily, "it won't do at all if you act so rude to a potential customer, wouldn't it?" 

   Mr. Borgin stared at me, then he threw back his head and roared with laughter. "Well, I hardly expected this to happen," he chortled, turning away from me, "by all means, then, take it-- free of charge." Cackling eerily, he retreated to the back of his shop, leaving me with the object. I exhaled in relief. 

    Opening my palm, I held the object to the light, revealing it to be a silver ring of great beauty. The mark on it was carved with gold, encircled with sapphires. It read: Dispel. The trinket was far too radiant to wear, but I knew the power it held. Clasping it, I slipped it into my coat pocket; casting an incantation upon my coat so that it would stay safe. I could breathe more easily now, knowing that it was in my possession. A family heirloom-- a powerful one in my bloodline.