Love and Infatuation

*Dedicated to Drapple69

For supportive comments that always made me smile. 

Or giggle like a crazed maniac, depending on your pov. 

0-0

*****

   The weather had abated; the rain now reduced to less than a drizzle. Stars glittered overhead in the Astronomy Tower; their eyes glinting maliciously. We were strolling along the length of the place; Tom keeping a distance from me and I from him. I could almost feel the ghost of his lips on mine; softly parting my own mouth. I tried to shake off the feeling. Goosebumps rose on my shoulders. 

    I had never felt passion this intense before. Could I call it love? Dare I? Perhaps he was taking advantage of my weakness; after all, that was all Tom Riddle loved doing. To torture his prey before killing it. That was all there was. 

     "Do you have a favorite constellation?" his voice made me start, as I turned towards him. His eyes were placid, almost bored. It was as if nothing happened between the two of us. Of course. He was no stranger to these things like I was. I was just another one of his play things; to be discarded once I wore off my use. I made brief eye contact. 

    "Delphinus," I finally said with a moment's pause, "the one in the northern sky." 

    "Do you harbor a love for dolphins?" Tom asked, his voice slightly mocking, "after all, it's what the latin name means." 

    I shrugged. "So what is yours?" 

    "Serpens," he answered immediately, with a steely glint in his eyes. 

     I rolled my eyes. "Must everything be about snakes for you?" 

     "Why not?" he challenged. 

     I shrugged again. "That is not very creative," I snorted, "if you make your seventy fifth Horcrux or something out of a snake, I wouldn't be very surprised." 

     He scowled slightly, but I relished that looks discomfort on his face. I pulled his strings as much as he annoyed me. It was slightly comforting, to know that he was still prone to emotions, no matter how little beautiful they were. 

    A slight wind swept past us. I couldn't bear the silence any longer. "Why did you kiss me?" I finally asked, my voice smooth. 

    He didn't even turn to look at me. "To make you feel better, Robins. I found it pathetic to the point of frustration how you drowned in your own self-pity; wallowing in your idiotic tears. A mental distraction is often enough to get your thoughts away from that." 

    I should have felt pain. Instead, I spoke, "Myrtle Warren always cried in the Girl's Bathroom." 

    He arched one eyebrow haughtily. "So?" he asked.