Bargains

This is a short update. Enjoy :D

***

  I laughed-- a harsh sound without mirth. Doubling over, I nearly collapsed on the floor, while Tom Riddle was unmoving as a statue. I wiped a tear from my eye. "Bravo, Riddle, a truly masterful performance." Riddle did not even flinch, his wand still pointed in my direction.

He tilted his head to the side, his hair falling into his eyes. "You still haven't answered my question, Robins," he lilted, "who the hell are you?"

I masked my apprehension with a cold expression. "Then please elaborate, Riddle, why also in the hell should I tell you?"

Tom's eyes flashed with fury for a second, then recovered. "I suppose you think that it is beyond me to tell the Headmaster, but may I remind you, Adeline, that I am still a Prefect. You may act like it, Robins, but you are smarter than you act. I am offering you a choice-- confess to me or leave your fate up to Headmaster Dippet." He cocked his head to the side, before a sneer came on his face, "And if you want, I can take it even higher to Professor Dumbledore-- I suppose your master, Grindelwald, will not be too happy that his spy has failed so spectacularly? You may be many things, Robins, but not even a talented Occulomens is immune to Veritaserum."

"You presume much, Riddle," I answered, "but you are wrong on all counts." Tom Riddle was still; this was possibly the first time anyone had called him out in being wrong. "I will quite literally die if the interrogation succeeds," I looked at him squarely in the eye, "an Unbreakable Vow is quite unbreakable." Riddle gave me a side-long glance.

"It all depends on what vow is made, I'm sure," he replied smoothly, "don't worry, Robins, I won't cry too much if you somehow get yourself killed."

"A flattering sentiment," I said dryly, "but disposing a pawn who has just come to use could mean losing the entire game." Any other person would have flew into anger at my remark, but Tom Riddle looked slightly smiling now; like a little boy who was observing a Quidditch Match between Bulgaria and Ireland. The gesture made me shiver slightly. Something about that smile was too eerie, too detached.

"A pawn is a small thing compared to a king," Tom ventured, "and it is better to lose a pawn than a king, wouldn't it?" The ends of his words curled with a serpentine flick, almost as if he was speaking Parseltongue. I stared at him, long and hard. I would never be able to beat Tom Riddle in the past, present, and the future, but I could at least throw him off my trail. I had risked everything to get where I was now, and no Slytherin was going to stop me now.

I swallowed, regaining my composure. "You're right," I forced out the words, "this game we are playing requires sacrifices. You may be more clever than I am, Riddle, but you would be wise not to underestimate me. Let's play a little game of make believe, then." Tom had lowered his wand, nodding curtly, as he disarmed me with one nonverbal incantation. I took that as a sign to continue.

    "Say, for instance, you are right about everything and I am truly a spy from Grindelwald. You offered me two choices-- either confessing to you or Albus Dumbledore. Yes, everyone knows how hated Dumbledore is by Grindelwald, but he is not the only one who despises him." Tom Riddle's face was emotionless. "You hate Albus Dumbledore," I said, "you might cover it up with your splendid charm, don't quote me on that, but you despise him for precisely the reason you hate me-- because no matter how hard you try, you can never fool either of us. Pride is a sensitive thing, Tom Riddle, and I am fully confident that allowing Albus Dumbledore all the credit in catching Grindelwald's spy will make him even more powerful. You want neither of these things to happen. Now, let's go to the second point. Honestly, the other has more flaws. With sufficient torture, perhaps you can wheedle the information out of me. Upon breaking my vow, I would inevitably die and you will be left with a cadaver."

Tom Riddle interrupted me, "You said yourself that I am a master at manipulation. What makes you think I can't cover up my tracks? A scape goat will surely not go amiss." He was not asking, he was testing me-- pushing my boundaries to see how far I would go. That meant I had earned a partial respect.

"The problem is," I continued, pretending to not hear him, "my entire Table witnessed you dragging me away-- you may be a 'master manipulator' but not even you can influence that many students under the noses of the teachers. You see," I allowed myself a small smirk, "we, Hufflepuffs, do get very touchy when it comes to loyalty to our fellows." I took in a deep breath.

There was a brief silence before Tom Riddle murmured, "My accolades, Robins, but in this game of make believe, you are still not guaranteeing that I won't find another opportunity with the perfect conditions and ensure your downfall."

"That is why I propose a bargain," I spoke smoothly, attacking his curiosity instantly.

"You have nothing that I want, Robins," he laughed condescendingly, the sound chilly and cruel.

"Do I?" I humored him, "if you are disinterested, by all means, then, lose out on the opportunity." It was a sloppy bait, but Riddle could hear the truth in my voice.

"I am no fool, Robins," he murmured, "I will not know if this is genuine or not until it suits your needs."

I turned my head to face him. "If you've earned any respect from me," I said icily, "then perhaps you might have earned something genuine. You keep your end of the bargain; I will keep mine. Follow me." Our roles now reversed, I didn't wait for him to follow, but could hear the whisper at my back.

"What can you possibly offer me that is worth my silence?" he asked mockingly.

I smiled tightly, "A certain secret chamber in Hogwarts, of course." 

***

..... Well, that escalated. Any ideas on what this secret chamber could be? I did mention it a few chapters ago. Anyways, I hope you see how masterful Addie is in manipulation as well and a few more customary questions. 

   What was the Unbreakable Vow that Addie made? Why hasn't this author explained the Deathly Hallows mark on her arm? Is Addie truly in league with Grindelwald? Or is she part of something bigger? Because dear readers, this crazy author do so enjoys plot twists.