Stupors

*Dedicated to Firewithfire11

For her awesome and hilarious comments. 

****

  I was locked in a maze of mirrors. Coldness seeped into my lungs as I tried to breathe. Each identical sheet of glass, each showing an identical reflection of myself. It was distortion in my mind; who I was, or what I was. Each reflection was the facade I had built; every mirror was another mask that I had yet to make. I turned to my right and saw a door. Grabbing the handle, I twisted it, and entered into an adjacent room. I was suddenly in my cell in Numengard— the cursed place where I watched my mother, driven by madness and desperation, killing herself. I had watched the blood spread steadily on the stone. I just stood there, watching; watching and waiting for help that was never to come.

I remembered my past self— the little red-headed girl; naive enough to think that the whole world was a fairy tale; naive to believe that I was anything but myself. I had lost the child inside of me a long time ago. The prankster that I had pretended to be; an embodiment of hardened torture; a way to throw off the hard things that made my mind split. Wherever I stood, there was death. My mother, my friends, and now, who else? I had waited too long to kill him.

And there it was- the haunting feeling of premonition. The rebels were doing too well. What was Grindelwald planning on doing?

I stared at the wall; etched with the mark of the Deathly Hallows. The circle inside of the triangle— the Resurrection Stone. I remembered Marvolo's Ring— the glinting band on Tom's forefinger. Should my plan change now?

My instinct hit me like a knife. This cell—-this illusion was all wrong. I had faced mental torture more than once; I was not foolish enough to believe that this was real.

I opened my eyes.

It was late afternoon— the light dim yet still retaining enough brightness. The hospital ward was eerily quiet, before I heard a jerk of movement. "She's awake—" I heard Izzy's sigh of relief before Will jumped up, drooling in the corner.

I squinted at her face. She looked utterly exhausted. "What happened?" I croaked, my voice hoarse as I flicked my fingers, bewitching a cup of water towards me. I drank greedily.

"Hufflepuff lost the match," Izzy informed me, "but because you got the Snitch, the score was near even. No one is blaming you, Addie— you did more than you can handle. Alexandra said that they could make it up in the next match against Gryffindor. You did good—" she squeezed my hand, a proud smile on her face.

Will looked slightly ashen, his face betraying his annoyance. "What is it, Will?" I asked, rolling my eyes, "is there something on my face?"

He sighed, brushing his hand through his hair. "Slytherin," he said finally, "they are gloating over the loss— those pinheads. Abraxas is mimicking you falling off your broom with your arm broken, and they are throwing this stupid evening party in the Slytherin Common Room for everyone to celebrate Ravenclaw's victory. Abraxas said it was supposedly to lessen tensions between Houses, and to make matters worse, he's invited you! He's mocking you, Addie!"