Chapter Seventeen

Mystic Flower discovers her feelings for Toxic Pea, but it's too late now...

It looks like Mystic Flower doesn't have much time to grieve. A garden is rising and it's time for Garden Ops! But then, she makes a discovery that could change everything....

Mystic Flower

"Yes. And I think I still do."

The words come out of my mouth before I want them to. They don't come out how I want them to...because they sound so strong with pain and anguish; laced with a clear mourning feeling, and...heartache....

It all makes sense now. How I feel around him, the warmth that always shoots through my inner vines when his eyes squint up and smile at me, and that little tug of...envy and slight bitterness when he was close to the Sunflower.

The Sunflower tilts her head slightly sideways, and then she cracks a faint smile.

"I always knew." She looks down sadly at the ground. "If only he were here to hear you say that..."

I look up sadly to the sky, wondering if he's watching us. "Yes..." My inner vines tighten, my petals tensing up at the thought of him watching us. "If only...." Then I tilt my head. "Did you know him well?"

The Sunflower laughs. "I've known that little squirt since my L.E.A.F Academy days. We became pretty good friends." She chuckles. "I guess..." She looks down, her face flushing a little. "I guess I never expected to fall for him." She smiles faintly.

Then she smiles more, and then sighs, looking behind her. "I need to head off...sleep is important for tomorrow..." She starts to turns away, and then says "the timeless ones are always watching. Be on your best behaviour at all times...maybe Toxic Pea is among them." She chuckles and struts away, leaving me trying to smile as I close my eyes.

But I can't smile. I feel like smiling is impossible without Toxic Pea here right now. Because all I can see right now is his dead form sprawled out across the rocks, as he utters and chokes and breathes out his last words to me, his kind glowing green eyes gazing at me for the final time before they close forever....

My eyes shoot open, wide and haunted. Anguish burning brightly through my petals as I strut slowly to the soft grass fields, ready to try to sleep. Perhaps that is the only healing I need right now.

My central stem quivers as I settle down far from any other plants, from the Kernel Corns, the Roses, the Citrons, the Chompers, the Cactuses, and even the Sunflowers. I make sure to stay as far away as possible from the Peashooters.

Normally the groups of plants mingle among themselves, but tonight most plants keep to their own groups, and I sigh, closing my eyes, ready for sleep to claim me.

But something is missing. A cold emptiness sits in my bottom leaves and lingers around my central stem.

This is normally where Toxic Pea would say something inspiring, assuring or soothing and tell me how he loved to see the sparkly balls in the sky.

The feeling of his warm head against mine is gone forever, and I feel completely and utterly lonely. What is happening?

Fire Flower, one of my closest friends, is still clinging onto her life, with Alien Flower healing her frantically so I never see either of them. I haven't seen Alien Flower since...a long time ago.

Metal Petal? To busy trying to help Agent Pea, one of Toxic Pea's good friends. Druid Rose? She's always occupied these days. I haven't seen Sun Pharaoh or Armor Chomper, and I am sure that they survived the battle, but I haven't seen them at all. Fire Pea, another one of Toxic Pea's close friends, is also barely alive, and on the verge of perishing. Who will be picked off next? An innocent plant that has done nothing wrong?