Chapter Twenty Seven

Party Corn

"Thanks Alien Flower...nnnngh..."

I wince in pain at a deep hole in my arm stems, near my party cobs. I blink, my central stem heaving up in down as I struggle to catch my breath.

"No problem." Alien Flower blinks and she
brushes a gash underneath her eye. Her face starts to twist up in pain. Then she breathes "My Heal Flower's on cool down...have you seen a Sunflower anywhere nearby?"

I frown. "What's the matter? Is your health low?"

"No. It's nothing." Alien Flower shrugs, her leaves starting to droop in exhaustion.

I look at her, unconvinced.

"Really." She says, shrugging again.

My mouth flops downwards into a frown.

Alien Flower's Rainbow Heal Beam falters and flickers for a moment, before she takes a deep breath and steadies it.

"Ali-"

"I'm fine." Alien Flower insists.

I nod, still not convinced as she advances ahead of me.

I duck under a Super Ultra Ball, and hop into their base, as the tombstone starts to sink into the ground, a garden starting to sprout out of the ground. Rainbows burst around, a plant whistling tune taking over the zombie's chants and growls. My whole vision is full of flashes of attacks, growls, shrieks, and battle cries as the garden rises completely, and Crazy Dave's voice laughs in delight in my head as he tells us which base to capture next and Zomboss barks at his Zombies to fall back and defend the next base.

I quickly duck and spot a Rose, and I immediately look away.

I still haven't been able to get over Druid Rose's death. I mean...she isn't...dead yet...but according to Mystic Flower she's in some sort of...sleep or something...like Fire Flower and Fire Pea.

As weird as it sounds, whenever I see a Rose, I always see her.

I've thought over it all so many times...I mean she's my friend...and if only I stayed with her earlier or something...

I take a deep breath, and shake my head. I can't think about that now....

I decide to fall back to the medical point, where new plants often spawn in to help.

I spit out blood-tanged aloe and spot a Sunflower with a Doctor Sunny hat on her head.

"Summon more Heal Weeds to help! Look at all of these injured plants! They're all going to die!" She gasps in panic and rapidly heads over to Toxic Pea, who is lying on his back, blood aloe oozing rapidly from the throat of his central stem. His eyes are closed, his Master Mask is off, and his Toxic Mask is back on.

"Toxic Pea!" I gasp. "What the...bloody herbs what happened?"

"A Z-7 Imp's Mech sliced its Omni Blade across his throat." The Sunflower replies briskly, her eyes wide and flaring in panic. She presses a soft leaf on his wound and hisses "he nearly got his head cut off...these zombies aren't giving up....we're losing plants fast! We can't afford to loose more...we're already weakening!"

Toxic Pea's opens his eyes and feebly lifts his head. "I'll fight to the death if I have to." He says weakly, and then he breathes and collapses.

The Sunflower opens her mouth to argue, but I meet her eyes steadily, telling her that I can handle this and she nods.

"Toxic Pea you can't." I say, trying to sound gentle and persuasive at once. Bile rises in my throat. "Think of Mystic Flower."