Chapter Twenty

Party Corn feels guilty about his words, but how can fix it? The waves of zombies are becoming stronger and stronger...how will the team prevail if there is a rift of distrust among two of them, an injured plant who is barely holding on, and a dangerous weakness that could destroy them all? 

Druid Rose

I sigh, stroking a Scaredy Shroom's head, the one that had helped me into the roof.

I don't really talk to anyplant; I only watch as Toxic Pea and Mystic Flower talk to each other, happy as ever like two peas in pod. Like two petals on a flower. Two kernels on a cob. Two thorns on a rose stem. Two citrus stems on a vine. Two prickles on a Cactus. Two spikes on a Chompasaurus Rex...

I make sure to ignore Party Corn because I just don't want to face him right now. I know it isn't right, but I really don't want to speak to him right now. Or maybe even ever again.

WAVE 4

Ok wave four. The wave before the BOSS WAVE. We can do this. It'll be alright. Us plants can defend ourselves to the end...

I quickly hover forward and start shooting the zombies with long-range shots of my Toxic Volley, the poison damage spreading among all of those stupid zombies. A few Browncoats drop dead, but the others continue to come closer and closer to our base...

I concentrate on hitting the Foot Soldiers and Engineers first, narrowing my eyes with each thrust of my wand.

I see Party Corn fighting next to me, his eyes focused on the fight. I only glare at him in anger through my wooden mask and transform into my Arcane Enigma, floating off somewhere else and letting loose bursts of arcane energy. 

I transform back into my solid form and turn several zombies into goats, a whole cluster in fact and shoot them with my Toxic Volley as quickly as I can manage. My inner vines rush with adrenaline as I feel pain, fear, and anger that is starting to take over everything at the moment. My rose hand clenches harder around my wand as I continue to shoot.

Toxic Pea

My central stem twists in pain as I force my pods to crank and reload. They feel all twisted and tight, by it's not like we can do that much. We're in the middle of Garden Ops.

I blast a Newspaper Zombie, over and over again and just destroying his paper takes up all of my ammo. Cringing at the fact that I need to reload again, I pump my pods as fast as I can, ignoring the tightening pain in my toxic pods. Weird black-purple blotches mark the back of them, but they aren't very visible.

I Hyper up in the air and launch a Sombrero Bean Bomb at a horde of zombies and then blast the Newspaper Zombie from the air as he hungrily runs towards to the Sombrero Bean Bomb. Three Scientists, a Foot Soldier, Super Brainz and an All-Star are right in the close range of the upcoming explosion.

"ARIIBA!"

The Sombrero Bean Bomb explodes, all of the zombies shrieking and growling as they are blown up into the air, vanquished as they drop to the ground and triumph surges through my inner vines as I use the last of my Hyper to get closer the garden.

I grunt and scuttle to the Heal Flower, murmuring gratefully as the healing sun drops contact with my body. I nourish them, and then happily scuttle over to Mystic Flower.

"The wave is almost done!" I cheer and my central stem bursts with happiness to be around Mystic Flower's glowing golden petals again.

"Great!" Her eyes glow in a small victory, and she smiles warmly at me and then charges up her Mysterious Energy. I blast at a Goalie Star over and over, until finally, he stumbles and flips downwards, vanquished. Satisfied, I look for Druid Rose, who is finishing off some remaining Newspaper zombies. Party Corn is far off somewhere, grappling with a Tank Commander. I can hear the Mega Cannon sounding off in the distance, and the echo of Party Corn's Party Busters.