Chapter Eighteen

Mystic Flower is talking to Toxic Pea again...and that's all she cares about. But what does Toxic Pear mean? Why is he trapped? And will he wake up in time to defend the Garden? Or will the link between the garden and plants finally be broken?

Mystic Flower

"Everything...everyplant...and......you."

His words slice through my central stem, and I feel my eyes squint at him, in surprise, in grief, in sadness...

"Why?" I ask, my voice strained.

Toxic Pea sighs.

"I can't...I just can't." He mumbles. "It just..." He swallows.

"Tell me everything." I murmur to him, looking up at him slowly.

Toxic Pea looks down, and he jerks himself away from me. "It's nothing...just...I don't know..."

"It must be something." I reply, delicately pulling him towards me again, meeting his glowing green eyes.

Toxic Pea sighs. He looks to the ground, looking away from me.

"Go on." I assure and look at him, gently stroking the side of his head.

Toxic Pea still doesn't meet my eyes, and he closes his own. Then he opens them.

"I...o-o-ok." He murmurs softly, and I sit down on the soft grass. He copies me, and sits down next to me.

"So, why am I keeping you here?" I ask gently. "How can I not keep you here?"

"It's because..." He sighs in frustration and he covers his eyes for a moment. "I can't leave because I'm...um...ugh..."

"What?" I ask, oblivious to what he's saying.

"I..." He swallows nervously. He rubs one of his toxic pods behind his back and even under his black toxic mask, I can see the pink that tinges his face.

"What?" I repeat.

"Um..." The pink becomes a little darker, turning into a slightly darker watermelon pink. "It's that....um..."

His face turns slightly watermelon red. "It's...it's because I've..."

He looks down, his glowing green eyes restless. He rubs one of his toxic pods behind his head. "It's...it's because I've..." The tinge of watermelon red finally turns into a blush. "It's because I've fallen in love with you." He looks down, the light and glow fading out from his eyes.

Those words instantly melt my inner vines, and a smile instantly spreads widely across my face. My petals heat up happily and my eyes brim with joy.

"I'm....emotionally attached to you and.... I-I-I-I can't leave without you. I-I-I just can't leave you..." He stutters, continuing to rub one of his toxic pods on the back of his head, facing downwards, his central stem quivering very slightly. His eyes are very shy and he still doesn't meet my eyes.

I gently turn Toxic Pea around looking at him sincerely.

"Well..." I look at him in the eyes, giving him a kind smile. "I...I....I really like you Toxic Pea...as...as...as more than a friend..." Then I whisper "I just wish I realized it sooner."

Toxic Pea looks at me. Joy sparks in his eyes. "Really?" He asks, warmth glowing on his face.

"Really." I reply, letting the affection flow in my voice.