T H I R T Y - O N E : WHITE CHRYSANTHEMUMS

Normal's POV

The silence is so thick and smothering that Ichiro decides to break the silence. "Haru, Hi- no. Higanbana, I hope you already know Milo Kamakura, the only other member of the Silver Sakura." Ichiro said and on cue, Kamakura looks at both siblings via the rear-view mirror. He is hoping that both siblings would offer him a kind smile but to his dismay, he's not that lucky. "And meet Akihiko Smith." From the corner of Ichiro's eyes, he sees how both Hime and Haru arent paying him a single ounce of attention as they are more absorbed in the scenery outside the car. He sighs but he couldn't give up now. "Just so you guys know, he is half American and he is the top guard in the palace." Ichiro said with hopes that one of them engages in a conversation with him. Hime averts her glance for a split second to look at the blonde guard in the passenger seat through the side mirror. Akihiko offers her a smile and she won't admit it to anyone but when he does, shivers run down her spine. She looks away from the side mirror and stares blankly at the outside world.

With a sigh, Haru turns to face his uncle. "Why would the palace needs to types of guards? Ojichan is the captain for the Silver Sakura or whatever right? Why need another captain?"

"Good question, Haru-kun! Ojichan is so proud of you." Ichiro reaches out to ruffle his hair when Haru avoids his hand with a frown. "Alright, alright. Do you know what's the job of Silver Sakura?" Haru shrugs. "Silver Sakuras exist to merely protect the royal family. That means, my job is to solely protect you, your father, mother and your sister."

"She's not my sister." Hime flinches slightly at the cold and distant tone used by Haru.

"Yes she is. She is every bit your sister as you are her brother." Haru clicks his tongue in annoyance and rolls his eyes. "As I was saying," Ichiro said, ignoring the act of annoyance the little boy displayed. "The White Chrysanthemum, however is the palace guard." Ichiro smiles, trying to win Haru's attention. When he doesn't get any replies, he gave up. He frowns and when his gaze meets Kamakura's through the rear-view mirror, his underling offers him a small sad smile which was replied.

Once they get in the palace's 5km radius, there are white chrysanthemums planted along the way to the palace. Hime found the citizens with their tripod stands and cameras to take a picture with their loved ones in a field of beautiful white chrysanthemums. Some foreigners are there too. As they get nearer to the palace, there are more people around to have a background of the palace. "Beautiful." Hime whispers under her breath. She was hoping no one heard her but alas, her uncle did. He smiles at her.

"It's very beautiful isn't it, the white chrysanthemum?" Hime nods and offers her uncle a smile back. "It's the royal family's flower." Ichiro chuckles. "Of course the both of you already know that. Your father would send white chrysanthemums all the time along with a letter. And of course, all letters are waxed and stamped in the shape of the chrysanthemums."

"Why arent there red roses?" Haru asks. After all, whenever Akahana sends the two siblings a letter along with a parcel full of clothes, red roses will always come alongside white chrysanthemums. So why isn't the same principle applied to the field of white chrysanthemums? Why is the white chrysanthemum so special? His mother's name is literally red flower. Why aren't there any red flowers in the field of white, pure chrysanthemums? Haru turns around at the lack of response. He sees his curious sister turns around to look at Ichiro as well.

Ichiro sends the two siblings a small smile. "That's a story for another time. As for now, welcome home, Crown Princess Higanbana-sama and Crown Prince Haru-sama." Ichiro smiles at them both as they begin to approach a huge gate with delicate gold carvings on black metal that acts as a separating medium to the outside world. Hime looks around and realises that there is a stone bridge that acts as a passage to get them pass a waterway ahead of them. There are 3 huge emerald coloured lamps on both sides of the bridge situated at the beginning of the bridge, the middle and the end of the bridge.