F I F T Y - T H R E E

When they left, Natsume groans in pain as he shakes his beloved daughter, hoping that she would wake up. "Hime," Natsume's voice breaks as he calls out for her. "Hime, darling. Wake up." He sobs as he pulls her closer to him. Kamakura stares at the scene unfolds before his eyes.

How am I supposed to live with myself if I am the reason why Hime is dead? Kamakura found himself holding his breath as he watches Natsume places his forefinger and middle finger on Hime's neck to palpate her pulse. "Hime?" Natsume's voice trembles as he narrows his eyebrows. He brought himself lower to her level and places his ear on his daughter's chest. His eyes begins to water and Kamakura felt his whole world shake.

Is she really?

***

The next morning, Karma yawns as he stretches a little from his bed. It has been a while since he went back home. It felt like it had been an eternity since he came back to the main house to share a roof with his parents. They just got back from the UAE three days ago and Karma went to pick them up at the airport. Although he complains and grumbles along the way, all three Akabanes know that he has been missing them with every fiber of his being. Upon their arrival, the first thing Karma spotted was his father's fiery hair that has been lined with whites. Kohen Akabane is a tall man who has strong facial features and gold eyes to add to his intimidating aura. What's more is that the male usually puts on a straight face but all of that fades away when he spots Karma because as soon as the golden eyes of the elder Akabane meets the younger, he immediately breaks out into a smile as he nudges the beautiful woman at his side. Akira Akabane, Karma's mother looks like the opposite version of his father. She has pink hair and brown eyes which were currently covered by her new shades. When she spots her son amongst the people at the arrival area, she had to refrain herself from pouncing at her beloved son.

Karma remembers what she was wearing; a black dress or somesort which he later learns is an abaya. When his parents near him, his heart was practically pounding so hard, he couldn't hear anything else but. He was so fixated on his parents, he doesn't even realise that he has been smiling. He has been having countless dreams like these – where his parents would finally come back from foreign countries, holding their arms out wide enough to hold him in their embrace. His train of thoughts derailed when his father said, "I told you he'd look more like me. Pay up." Kohen said while Akira rolls her eyes before placing her shades on top of her head.

"He may look like you but everyone knows he's more like me." Akira rebuts, grinning cheekily as she flashes her sharp teeth; something Karma inherited. "Aren't you?" She asks, pulling him into a hug. All he wanted is to melt into a puddle so she could hold him forever but he knows that they'll be leaving again in days and that day, is today.

"Karma?" His mother's voice resonates from behind his door. "Are you awake?" She asks before knocking. Karma stares at his door, knowing exactly what lies beyond it.

"We're going to leave in a few hours to Palau and we're not sure when we're coming back. Do you at least want to see us off?" Kohen asks, knocking on his door after not getting any replies from his son. Karma knows where Palau is and it's probably around 2000 miles away and his parents have been farther. Instead of answering, Karma went out of bed and drags himself to the door.

"Of course I do." Karma said, scratching his bed hair. The older Akabanes smile down at their son.

"Come on, dear. I made breakfast." Karma couldn't help but smile a little. His mother's pancakes are always the best. "The last one to the table gets a penalty." She said before running ahead of the two. This shocked the other two as Kohen quickly catches up with his wife and pulls her back before running down the stairs. Karma, however foresaw this last night and set traps for his parents. Not long after, he heard his father's scream.