Chapter 1: Welcome to My World

A/N, ok, so if you're wondering, this is a Marcus Volturi Love Story I'm attempting and Lee is portrayed by Erika Linder- she's the very handsome lady on the cover.

"Lee! It's time to wake up!" I roll over on my bed to find careworker Jeanie standing at my door with a scowl. I know there's no point complaining. College is something I need for the future, but I wouldn't mind being home schooled. The clock reads 7:30. I sigh. At least she didn't let me oversleep and it is Friday. It's always a good day; at least it is when I get home. "Alright," I rub my eyes. "I'll be down in a minute." She gives a nod of approval and leaves.

Jumping out of bed, I hear several pairs of footsteps rush down the stairs for breakfast. I'd better head on down there. Living in a children's home means if you don't get down there in time, there's no food, but still, I have some things I need to sort out first. After I take a quick shower, I head back to my room and pull out black jeans and boots.

If you're wondering, I'm a girl, an androgynous one at that. I guess most people at college, due to my name, will never find out, but still, it's something I should put out there. Once I'm dressed, bottom half at least, I find a t-shirt, then head downstairs for breakfast.
The kitchen is in a state of chaos as always. With a home as mixed as this one, there's always casualties when it comes to meal times. I sit down at the table, among the other eleven kids, hoping for some acknowledgement.

The ones as old as myself, give a brief nod before turning their attention to the food. The younger ones however, continue slurping juice and spraying crumbs. Jeanie comes in with a refill of apple juice, just as I'm filling my plate with bacon and eggs. I pass her my cup, which she fills and places back down on the table without a word. I give a nod of thanks. She's probably surprised I even showed up. It's not very rarely I have breakfast, much to Jeanie's disapproval.

After breakfast, there's not much to do other than gel my hair, and grab my rucksack, then we're all out the door, into the van which clearly reads: 'Volterra's Home For Children' on the side, which makes it hard to blend in when people can see the advertisment that basically tells classmates that you're a 'troubled kid' or a 'freak'. We're dropped off at school, group by group, depending on your age.

Us four college kids get dropped first, so lucky me, I get to school extra early. Walking briskly through the hallway, I try to avoid everyone as I usually do, but unfortunately, there's always someone who wants to bother me, but this time, to my surprise, it's Liam, the same age as me, who lives in the home.

"Hey Lee, I was wondering, would you like to go to a party tonight?" He walks beside me, matching my pace. "A party?" Wow, I've never been before, it's usually full of booze and popular kids hanging out. Luckily for Liam, he's a bit more successful in the friends zone than I am, so he's always invited. "Uh, Liam, you know, I'm not much of party person." I shrug it off, but he persists.

He grabs my arm lightly. "Lee, it's time you stopped being a recluse. You need to get out more." I walk away from him. "Don't you start!" I huff. He doesn't bother catching up. Instead he shouts down the hallway at me, attracting more attention from students. "It's time for this to stop Lee! It's time your life really got started!"

His words stick with me throughout the day. Even travelling home in the van I am silent. This could be a good opportunity for me, I could become popular...wait, who am I kidding? This won't change a thing. But it could add a bit of fun in my life. Positives and negatives. To be honest, I haven't fully said no to the party, I guess I'd like to go. But parties can be risky, especially if we travel from club to club. Italy is a tourist attraction. There could be weird people about.

But I really want to go. Maybe that's why I'm sitting here at quarter to eight in my bedroom, hair re-styled, with my casual clothes on.. A navy blue shirt with black jeans and converses. Looking in the mirror, I'm pleased with my appearance. Being androgynous has it's perks and downsides but those are no thoughts for tonight. Yeah, I guess I'm going to go.

At eight, Liam peeks his head around my door, and smiles. "So, you decided to come," He smiles triumphantly. "Come on," He pulls me through the door.

******************************

As I suspected, the club is packed. Smack bang in the middle of a university campus, there's more than plenty of booze, noise and couples making out. I shrug it off and head inside. Liam disappears with some friends and I desperately try to enjoy myself, dancing to music and drinking more martini's that I should. After an hour, I'm so dazed by the bright lights and drink, I need to head outside for some fresh air.

I stumble outside, I can feel the nausea coming on and I heave, falling to the floor. I manage to pick myself up and rush off into an alleyway, where I'm sick again and again, until eventually I'm just throwing up vile liquid. God, I don't ever want to drink again. My first time drinking has not been a success. When it clears, my head is spinning and I'm clumsy and uncoordinated. I try looking for a taxi, but lucky me, I've never been in this area of town before. I keep stumbling through the alleyway, hands against the wall for support.

As soon as I'm in the open again, I hear a slight chuckle, a pair of hands grip me by the throat and I'm held up against a wall, my feet aren't touching the floor. My head is being forced upward. I'm struggling to breathe. "Please, let me go," I croak, gasping for air. I manage to look down and see it's a man holding me, standing at least six and a half feet tall and wearing a dark cloak.

He chuckles again. "Well well, what do we have here?" His voice is low, menacing. He has blood red eyes, and a startingly pale face. "Fresh meat." He leans in, sniffing me. I resist the urge to slap him. "Cut it out Felix," Another voice, comes through. It's another male, with the same features. "Let him go," He orders.

"Why? I need to feed, and he smells good." He sniffs me again. I can't be bothered to correct him on pronouns. His hands are squeezing tighter and before long, I feel myself losing control of my own body. My breathing comes through in short gasps and after another minute, much to Felix's dismay, I black out.