Chapter 15: Rivalry of Men

For a brief second, I think I'm hallucinating, or having some strange, awful nightmare. I hope to God this isn't true. Then I rub my eyes and see I'm actually here. This is happening, in a packed restaurant full of people. Marcus looks confused, he's probably never seen Liam before in his life. Liam puts his notepad on the table and rubs his forehead. "The police have been back and forth everyday since you took off again. We all woke up the next morning and found you and all your stuff gone. Jeanie broke down in tears. She thinks you've run away." He explains, frowning.

I turn away. "Who's this?" Marcus cuts in. "I'd like to ask you the same question!" Liam scowls at him. "My name is Marcus." He says calmly. "This is Liam," I explain to Marcus. "He lived with me at the children's home. He invited me to the party."
"Worst decision of my life," He snarks. "That's when all the trouble started. What happened to you on that night, Lee?" He asks. "I can't talk here. It's too busy, when does your shift finish?" I glance at the clock. "Eight," He says. "Marcus and I will explain everything to you then. You'll need to come home with us."

"Why can't we collect him at midnight?" Marcus suggests.
"We can deliver him back home afterwards, and if he decides he wants to stay like you did, he can pack up his things the following day."

"I think that's a good idea. Finish your shift as normal, we'll pick you up at midnight. Marcus will come with a car. Be dressed and ready." I order, he nods. "Ok," He regains his composure and picks up his notepad.

"What can I get you?"

******************************

By midnight, we're ready to go, but on the way to the garage, Marcus looks uneasy. "What's wrong?" I ask. "That wasn't a very succesful first date." He murmurs. "Oh, look, I know it was difficult cause we were discussing Liam and everything, but I had a great time. The food was great at least." I try to cheer him up. He gives a weak smile and opens the passenger door. I slide in and belt up. Once he's in, we're off. "I hope it didn't spoil the night," I sulk. "No, I'm being unfair. Forgive me." He whispers. "Sure, as long as you're alright," I shrug.

"Never better," He lies. "Are you angry, Marcus?" He looks shocked then. "No, not at all, don't be ridiculous." He smiles. "Relax."

Barely three minutes later, we've pulled up outside the institute. I look up, and spot Liam at his window, curtains open. I give a small wave, signalling our arrival, and he nods before disappearing. A minute later, he comes creeping out of the building. He opens the car door and slides in the back seat. "That was fast," I comment as Marcus starts up the engine.

"I've got a spare key." Liam mumbles. "This better be worth it." He continues. "I'm exhausted. I'm going back to sleep the moment my head hits the pillow." He settles back in his seat. "Trust me, you're about to enter another world." I promise. Marcus stays silent for the entire journey. Neither Liam or Marcus bother trying to make conversation. "Great. I'm piggy in the middle then, am I?" I huff, folding my arms over my chest.

Arriving at the Volturi castle sparks something in Liam. "Here? You live here?" He jumps out of the car. "This is amazing. You must be pretty rich." He tries not to look impressed. "Thanks," Marcus huffs and we walk to his room. I catch up after him. "Help me out here, is there some sort of tension between you two?" I ask, and he stiffens.
"No, not at all." He says flatly. He opens his door and holds it for Liam and I to pass through. Liam sits at a chair at Marcus's desk.

"Ok, so what's going on?" Liam folds his arms, ready for the story. "First things first, Marcus belongs to a coven of over a hundred people called the Volturi. The Volturi are vampires." I start. Liam blinks at me, running his fingers through his black hair. "Vampires?" He stammers. "Yep. Marcus is a vampire. The night of the party, I went off into an alleyway and was almost killed by one of the vampires living here."

"Why?" He asks. "His name's Felix. He was going to feed off me, but I wouldn't let him. I passed out and woke up the next morning in one of the bedrooms." I explain and Liam cringes. "Ok, ok," He holds up his hands in surrender. "So, there's one thing I don't understand." He says. "Why were you in the restaurant tonight?"

"That's personal." Marcus hisses. It's the first thing Marcus has said since the start of the conversation. Liam gives him an unimpressed look. "Personal how?" Liam challenges. "It's none of your business." Marcus grits his teeth. Liam frowns at him. "Do you two not like each other?" I fold my arms, glaring at the both of them. They both tut and look away from each other. "Until I know who he is, I can't trust him." Liam huffs. 

"We were on a date." Marcus sighs. He turns to Liam. "Then you showed up and ruined it." He shakes his head. "I work there, how was I supposed to know Lee was going to turn up?" Liam protests. Marcus stands as if ready for an argument. "Right I'm done with this shit, I'm off to bed! Marcus, make sure you get Liam home!" I stand up and storm off to my bedroom. Marcus calls after me. "Lee! Please, don't leave," But he doesn't come after me to comfort me.

Well to hell with him. Fuck them both. They can sort it out together. Storming into my bedroom, I slam the door as hard as I can, knowing Marcus will hear it. I flop onto my bed, and cuddle into my pillow. Life was almost easy without all this vampire bullshit and dating Marcus. Oh, Marcus. I roll over and pull my knees to my chest. Oh, I wish I'd never met him.
No. I think he and I know that's not true.

Liam walks into my room. "Lee," He starts. I stand and walk over to him. "Did I say you could come in? You didn't even knock!" I push at him gently, I don't want to hurt him. "Please, Lee. I didn't mean to upset you or your boyfriend." He narrows his heartbreaker eyes. "Don't. Puppy dog eyes don't work on me." I turn away from him. "Please," He tries again.
"I'm sorry."

I take another look at him. No doubt any other girl would forgive him just like that, with his casual styled black hair, dark brown eyes, straight jaw and dazzling white teeth. He looks like he should be a model on a cover of a magazine and he knows it. "Fine. Now go home, Liam." I turn away and sit down on my bed.

"I am home." He says. "I've decided to stay. Marcus has gone to collect my things. I'm moving into the room next to yours. So goodnight, Lee. Sweet dreams."