Chapter 28: Relying On An Enemy

Demetri takes off running. Sprinting even. Faster than I've ever seen a person move. Usain Bolt wouldn't be a patch on him. Demetri is ten times faster. His body is nothing but a blur as he bolts around the garden, Marcus close behind. They start up a fight, their movements so fast I can't make them out. I know the inevitable will happen if I don't stop them, and unfortunately for me, I can only think of one person who could help me.

With a heavy heart, I rush off to the throne room. It's all quiet when I arrive. Two out of the three thrones are empty. Of course, Aro is sitting there without fail, in all his smug vampire glory or whatever you want to call it. "Lee, what a pleasant surprise," He smirks. I rush to him, he stands up. I go to explain, but he holds out his hand.

"Don't bother speaking. Let me see, now." He grabs my hand and goes still. His face blanches out with shock. "The garden?" He asks. I nod, breathless. "Don't let them hurt each other." I beg. "Felix, Alec!" He calls. Two men appear, wearing full Volturi gear, cloak and all. I recognise Felix from the night of the party.

"Hey, buddy," He calls, voice deep. "Fancy a drink?" He teases. "Very fucking funny. Now get up there before they kill each other." I bark. Both Alec and Felix look shocked. "Master?" Alec asks. "Marcus and Demetri have had a disagreement. Break it up." Aro orders. They both leave in a hurry.
Aro waits until the doors close before turning to me.

"Why? Why did you let him kiss you?" He looks disappointed. "I thought you loved Marcus."
"I do! It was a mistake, ok? Don't make me feel any worse! Don't speak to me like you're my father!" I push him. "Now now," He mutters. "Fuck you," I walk away from him. "Your language is ridiculous, Lee. I bet your mother wasn't much better." He scolds.

I turn around slowly. "My mother was a teenager. She was abused. She fell pregnant when she was off her head on drugs. How could she keep me?" I growl, stepping closer. "She shouldn't have got pregnant then," He tuts. "Well just because your mother was perfect doesn't mean all mothers are, Master." I spit. "My mother died giving birth to me." He says.

"Well that's a shame, but why should I say sorry when you've just insulted my mother?" I saunter out to the main corridor. I can hear screams and shouts followed by; "Lee, save me!" I take off towards the voice, sprinting back to the garden. "Lee, please!" The voice pleads. I rush out into the garden to find Alec and Felix pulling on either of Marcus's arms, while he has Demetri on his knees on the floor, pulling at his head.

"No! Please, Marcus, no!" He ignores me completely. "Lee, save me!" Demetri looks at me with pleading eyes. I hunt around the garden desperately until I come across a sharp rock. I strike my arm with it until a long stream of blood runs down and pools onto the floor. They freeze and look in my direction. It distracts Marcus for a second, but a second is long enough for Demetri to break out of his grasp and hit him.

Marcus goes flying backwards. Alec and Felix click back into focus and Demetri rushes off, I hear a door slam in the distance, knowing he's probably locked himself in his room. Marcus rises to his feet and looks me over. "We'd better get you cleaned up," He says gruffly.

Marcus sends me to the tower where Athenadora cleans up the blood with amazing resistance. I could never have so much control. She wipes down the wound with antiseptic ointment and gently wraps a padded plaster on it. "You were very brave, and resourceful," She encourages. "You saved Demetri's life. There was no way Alec or Felix could have stopped Marcus. He's much too strong." She shakes her head.

"Very clever of you to realise blood was the distraction." She smiles at me. "I'm proud of you," She strokes my hair. "Proud mother, huh?" I ask. "Of course, if you still want the adoption to go ahead. We were so worried we'd lost you when you disappeared. Even more so when Demetri realised you were in Romania," She shudders, re-living the memory.

"The Romanian coven have always been a threat. I was so glad when I found out Marcus ripped the head off Vladimir's shoulders." She smiles to herself. "A life for a life. Didyme can sleep in peace now, for we know who caused her death. The truth is finally out." She pulls me into her arms.

"But I have to ask you, why did you kiss Demetri?" She asks gently. "I didn't!" I sit bolt upright. "He kissed me!" I protest. "Ok, so why did you let him kiss you?" She coaxes. "I...I don't know. I..it felt good." I stammer. "I thought your heart was with Marcus," She sighs.

"It is! But, I guess I do like Demetri a little too," I turn away, head in my hands. The door opens and Liam storms in.

"A bit of air? You said you needed some air to clear your head! You didn't tell me you were going to meet up with your other boyfriend!" He yells. I stand up, furious. "He's not my boyfriend! It shouldn't have happened. I didn't even know he liked me that way, ok?" I stalk off into the tower bedroom. "Lee, he's just confused, darling, that's all. We all are," Athenadora comes in and perches on her bed.

"Can you tell Liam to fuck off?" I growl. "He doesn't mean to offend people. He's just...curious. He doesn't want Marcus to be upset...or hurt." She consoles. "If Marcus was really upset he should have hit me too," I fold my arms across my chest, laying on her bed. "Alright, well either way, make sure you keep washing the wound and keep the dressing on it. That bandage will keep it germ free." She explains, stroking my hair once again.

"And Lee, one more thing," She says. "You have to decide," She adds. "Marcus....or Demetri?"