Chapter 47: Liam's Story

William John Matthews was born on 17th February 1998.......in South London Prison.
I blink twice, rubbing at my eyes furiously, before realising that what I've read is actually there.
He was born in a prison.

Another document shows his mother, Catherine Matthews, barely eighteen, pregnant, and with a criminal record.
She was arrested in late 1997 for the murder of her boyfriend, presumably Liam's father, after a violent argument and a relationship of years of abuse.

Either way, she was sentenced to first degree murder and possibly in prison for life. The courts didn't even consider her poor unborn baby, who was born in the following months and brought up in the prison, amongst other murderers, drug dealers, prostitutes and cons.

I retrieve a photo of young Liam, barely eight years old, wearing the orange prison uniform. I turn away in disgust for a moment, sickened at the lack of humanity they had for Liam, deprived of his childhood and starved of love. 

I read on reluctantly.

Liam was sent to a tutor but didn't go to school. He was locked up in a cell and kept away from his mother at all costs, in the hope he wouldn't end up like her.

Surely living in a prison would cause a child to be fucked up anyway? What were the governement thinking?

At age ten, there was a fire in the part of the prison where Liam was kept which spread rapidly, causing half the building to be destroyed and taking many lives, one of them....was Catherine Matthews, Liam's mother.

No longer having any real purpose now his mother was dead, Liam was free to go and at ten years old, for the first time in his life, he left the prison gates and saw the outside world.

In June, 2008, Liam was sent to Volterra's Children's Home in the hope that a change of scenery would help him.

Other documents show social workers reports and pictures of his mother. Court orders and birth certificates and newspaper cuttings of the fire. What a shit fucking life.

I slam the file shut, surprised by the tears running down my face and hastily rub them away. I shove the file under my bed before collapsing onto the floor and sobbing.

I pick myself up five minutes later before blundering off down the corridor, tears pouring down my face, feeling like the biggest baby.  Aro notices me and approaches me. "Lee dear, what's the matter?" I shake him off.

"Leave me the fuck alone!" I keep running, leaving him behind, worried but mostly curious.

When I get there, practically grasping my knees and out of breath, I stumble into Marcus's room, and fall into his arms.

He holds me by my shoulders to get a good look at me and sighs worriedly. "My darling," He starts. "You're crying." He kisses away my tears lovingly before carrying me to his bed.

He hovers over me, resting on his elbows, staring me intensely in the eyes. "Ssh," He places a figer over my lips to hush my whimpering. "Deep breaths." He adds. I breathe in and out again and again, gasping when the tears get too much.

"Lee, stop it." He orders firmly, planting a swift kiss on my lips to silence me. I blink wildly, staring him in the eyes. We break apart and he rolls onto his side next to me. "What's wrong?" He starts.

"I read Liam's file." I cough, still gasping for air. "What?!" His eyes widen in surprise and I turn away in embarrassment.
"Don't be angry, I just wanted to find a way to help him with his issues so I had to find out about his childhood." I protest, but he stands up.

"You shouldn't have done that Lee." He sighs, shaking his head tiredly. "I'm sorry." I pout. "It's William you should be saying sorry to." He preaches before turning away sadly.

"Are you angry?" I frown, standing and walking behind him. "No, my sweet. I'm not angry." He sighs, clearly lying to me.

"Whatever." I mutter, rising from his bed to leave, but he slams the door. "Where are you going, my darling?" He demands, voice soft. When I give no response, he steps forward. "I've missed you." He advances towards me, while I step backwards, my eyes never leaving his face.

"I haven't been gone long." My voice is hoarse, a whisper caught in my throat. He comes closer, while I step backwards, until I feel the bed behind me, which he pushes me down on.

The sexual energy is suddenly electrifying, as he locks the door and then kneels between my legs.

"My darling," He repeats. I'm hypnotised, my eyes transfixed on his, as he reaches down and kisses my lips.
He leans back, his eyes hooded, before giving me a brief smile.

Then all hell breaks loose.

His body slams against mine, grinding furiously on my hips, as I struggle to rid myself of my clothing. "Take. It. Off." He growls between kisses, reaching to snap off my belt and throws it across the room.
He undoes his shirt, hurriedly, half the buttons breaking off as he goes.

He releases me suddenly to grab a condom, smirking at me before he leaves. I give myself the once over: my shirt is still somewhat attached to me, ripped all over like the Hulk trying to transform. My jeans are gone and my hair is a shaggy mess.

Marcus returns, condom in hand, and I notice he's lost most of his own clothing as well, whether by my hand or his.

Suddenly, he and I are both naked, he rolls the condom down over himself and throws himself on top of me.

It feels better than last time. I'm more confident and Marcus senses it, as instead of asking me if I'm ok, he checks my facial expressions, which seem to answer for me. His movements are smooth and fast, never slowing, relentless.

Better still, there was no pain when he entered me.
The only sounds are my heavy breathing and murmurs of pleasure, while Marcus moans softly in my ear, whispering to me, nibbling my earlobe.

Minutes later, there's a clenching in my stomach and I let go, convulsing as Marcus's movements have become frenzied, as his excitement grows, until he suddenly cries out and goes still, and I know the end has come for him too.

Once the shuddering has stopped, he pulls out and kisses my forehead.
"That was wonderful, you're incredible." He applaudes. I chuckle breathily, smiling. "Thanks."

He turns to me, smiling in return. "Oh Lee, you're funny." He shakes his head.
"I was talking to myself." He says.