Chapter 56: Happy Anniversary

"What should I buy you for Christmas?" I ask Marcus as I do my tie.
Marcus puts his head around the door and shrugs. "I'm hard to buy for. I'm old; I've already got everything."
He comes over to start on my hair.

"I'm going to buy you some shoes." I decide.
"I have too many pairs of shoes." He mumbles, combing.
"What else can I get you? Aftershave?" I ask.
He nods. "It would make a change."

I turn to him so he can make the last finishing touches to make sure I'm looking pristine to keep me Sulpicia-proofed.

I don't need her lecturing me all night, and as for Aro, do I really want to be attending his ball?
"I know what you're thinking." Marcus pipes up, straightening my collar.
"You don't want to go." He states, looking me in the eye. "But you have to." He continues.

"I haven't had anyone to go with for the past one hundred years so please try to be enthusiastic; for me. I'm very excited." He admits quietly.

My heart aches for this man, alone for all this time and still mourning Didyme, and then the poor thing gets lumbered with me. I hook my arms around his neck. "I'll make tonight special. We'll dance and dance and I'll be on my best behaviour all night." I whisper in his ear.

"And then we'll make love?" He asks hopefully, gripping my hips. "Maybe." I pull away to leave him sexually frustrated. "Don't look so deprived, Marcus." I wink and head out the door to wherever the ballroom may be.

He catches up with me, and guides me to the hall where the party is to be held.

Through the doors is a majestic room, larger than any room I've ever been in. There are huge banners that have Sulpicia and Aro's name on them and long tables covered with food and drinks.

"Food?" I turn to Marcus. "We have humans who work for us. And you're a human as well aren't you?" He checks teasingly.
I glance around the room, scanning the various people. It's quite easy to distinguish the vampires from the humans.

The vampires are relaxed and confident, approaching other vampires and starting up conversation with any of the main Volturi leaders. Also, they're wearing black or red clothes while the humans are shaky looking, nervous, silent and wearing more modern day clothes.

I spot Caius and Athenadora talking to some vampire couple in their fifties with with Liam at their side and I realise that's my cue to come over.
"Hey guys," I hook my arm through Caius's and he smiles at me. "Lee, you look wonderful."

He leans in close. "I heard about your terrible ordeal at the shopping centre. It must have been dreadful, but it's definately worth it." He compliments.
I flash a small smile at him before he turns me to the couple that Athenadora is still talking to. "Lee, this is Viktor and Portia." Caius interupts Athenadora's ramble.

The couple look up expectantly. "You've met Liam and this is our daughter, Lee." He introduces. Viktor and Portia stare at my manly hairstyle and outfit and exchange glances. Athenadora looks startled by their reactions but Caius remains calm and pretending to be oblivious to their disapproving stares.

"Nice meeting you," I say bitterly. "I'm going to say hi to Sulpicia." I plaster a smile on my face and head to her and...Aro. Ugh. I hate that smug looking bastard. "Lee, wonderful to see you." He says smiling. Sulpicia turns to me and boy, is she dressed to kill.
Her red dress and lipstick is hot enough to light a fire. And how she's wearing those stilettos without falling is a mystery to me. She's completely at ease with herself. She hugs me, pulling me in tightly, enthusiastically. "I actually like that suit now." She states in my ear.

Seriously girl, make up your mind.

I smile at her. "Thanks. You're good at picking out clothes." Even if it takes almost an hour to choose an outfit.
"Lee?" Aro calls, holding out his hand. "Would you dance with me?"

No. You are shitting me. What the fuck? Dance with Aro? Really? Oh boy. Kill me now.

"Uh..you should dance with Sulpicia." I stammer, in an awful attempt of warning him off but he persists. "Come along, Lee." He pulls me gently onto the dance floor where many others are engrossed in the music.

"I don't know how to dance." I whimper. "You'll pick it up easily." He assures then grabs my hand and puts his arm around my waist. I cringe from his gripping hands.

Bear with it, bear with it......

The music starts and Aro leads me into the dance. I'm clumsy and a few times I turn the wrong way or step on his feet..to my delight.
"I know the dislike you have for me, Lee." He says in my ear. I stiffen, but keep dancing. He's started to sway us slowly so we're barely moving.

"And I wonder why you dislike me." He continues. "Any reason?" He pulls me back so he can see my face. "You're a dick, and I don't like you. Simple as that." I shrug. "Why do you call me that?" He teases. "Because." I shrug again. "That's not a very fair answer, Mrs. Volturi." He muses.

"Fuck up, Aro." I tut. "You naughty girl; you must never swear at one of your coven members." He scolds.
Then he remains silent so we keep dancing among the other couples. If he wasn't married, people might have thought we were together. Ugh. No thank you.

The song ends.
"Happy Anniversary, Aro." And I walk back to Marcus, without another word.

Marcus is standing at the food table, so I grab a plastic plate and pile on chicken drumsticks, mini pizzas, cheese and pineapple sticks and there are some fancy foods available but I'll just stick to things that I can pronounce in English.

"You look angry, my darling." He murmurs as I devour my food. "I'm hungry, ok?" I snap and I turn away from him. He sighs and his arms wrap around my waist. "You're annoyed that you had to dance with Aro." He states and I can hear the faint smile in his voice.

"And you think that's funny?" I poke him and he smiles back. "Absolutely, my darling." He says. Demetri comes to my side. "I saw you and Aro dancing together." He says in a sing song voice. "And?" I snap, chomping on a pizza slice.

"I ship it." He says.

A/N: hey guys, sorry for the recent slow updates. I hope you're still supporting!!
I'm going to put the power to you and ask you for who you ship Liam with.
Maybe you think his girlfriend should be Heidi or...maybe you'd like his flamboyant gay side to come out and hook up with a guy.

Comment below who you'd like to see Liam dating.
That's all for now.
Lots of love,
VampireLover_xox