Chapter 30: Nightmares

Vladimir appears out of nowhere. I didn't even see him arrive. A flash of blond hair and the next thing I know, he's disconnected the door from the car and I'm flung out, scraping my arm as I slide across the road by a few feet. "Marcus!" I screech. He jumps out and makes his way over to me. I thought Vladimir was dead. How is he here?

Marcus comes over casually, relaxed. I don't understand why he isn't panicky until I see the fire. He got rid of him, he must have killed him this time. I relax slightly, before fear grips my heart once again as Vladimir jumps Marcus from behind. Marcus stills, putting up no resistance. "Marcus, fight back!" He just smiles at me. "Maybe it's time to die." He smiles, all calm. And that's when Vladimir pulls off his head.
No no no no. "MARCUS!!"

Vladimir reaches me, lifting me in the air, and exposes my neck once again. His fangs bare down on me, getting closer and closer and closer and....

Awake. I'm awake. In my bed. No Vladimir.

A scream rips through my throat as I peer around my bedroom in terror and part relief, covered in sweat
as I realise it was just a dream. Just a dream. An awful, brutal nightmare. The bandage on my arm has been replaced with a fresh clean one and I'm awake and alive. I scream even so, willing someone to come and soothe me. Anyone. Please.

"Alright alright, shut up, I'm trying to sleep!" Liam storms in groggily, glaring at me. He reaches me and I throw myself into his arms. "It was a nightmare! Marcus died! Vladimir killed him!" I sob. "No. Marcus killed Vladimir. It's been weeks since Romania." He whispers. "You took off yesterday and Marcus went looking for you. You've only been sleeping an hour or so." He murmurs.

"So sleeping on the bench in the park, that was real?" I ask. "Yeah, where did you see Vladimir?" He asks. "While we were in the car." I mutter, running my fingers through my hair. "Marcus told me he found you on a park bench, took you with him, bought you pizza and drove straight here." He murmurs.

"You must have fallen asleep in the car, and then the nightmare must have progressed from there." He explains. "I didn't realise you were an expert in Dreamology." I snark. "That doesn't exist," He smirks. "Fuck off."

"So, what time is it?" I yawn. "Half past four," He glares at me. "Oh, sorry for waking you," I mumble. "I might go and see Marcus." I go to the bathroom, washing up face, and slicking water over my hair to cool me down. "It's so thick. It makes me so warm." I groan, pulling at strands. "Live with it, kid. Nothing you can do about it." He smiles.

"Yeah, yeah," I mutter, waving my hand. "One day, I might shave off my hair. All of it. Literally, I might go bald." I turn to face him and he's looking at my face closely. "Yeah, you'd look quite good bald." He smiles, nodding. "Ok, so we've gone from an expert in Dreamology, to a hairdresser," I say, shoving him. "Make up your mind about your career choices." I smirk. "I actually wanted to be a builder." He admits. "Really?"

He laughs at me. "No. I think I'd work better as a stripper." He smirks. He flexes his muscles and lays on my bed, posing in what he thinks is a sexual manner. I scoff at him and brush my hair. "Are you coming with me to see Marcus?" 

"No." He grunts. I sigh. There's still a frostiness about their relationship, for some reason. They barely acknowledge each other in the same room.

"Why do you hate him so much?" I confront. "Shouldn't you find someone your own age?" He asks. "Age is just a nu-"
"Number. Yeah, I know. But on top of that, he's about fifty. He's a vampire. I don't like him." He shakes his head. "Besides, I thought you liked girls." He smiles. "I'm not gay!" I protest. "I love Marcus." I sigh. "And Demetri." He adds.

"I like Demetri." I correct. "He's a friend," I shrug it off. "Oh please," He scoffs. "I don't go around snogging my friends!" He gives me a look. "Look, it was one kiss!" I groan. "And I'd happily give you another one," Demetri saunters in. Liam stares open mouthed. "Why were you listening?" He growls. "He does that." I explain.

"You should be in bed. Both of you." Demetri looks at us alternately. "Go to bed, William." Demetri makes way for him to leave. "My name is Liam," He huffs, heading out. "Goodnight Liam!" I call. He slams his door in response. "Well, he has some serious anger issues." He smiles, sitting on my bed.

"Yeah, he's just confused over the Marcus or Demetri thing." I shrug. "It's a thing?" He asks. "I'm a thing?" He repeats. "Well, you know what I'm saying," I shrug again. "No I don't. Explain to me, Prince. What 'thing' am I?" He demands. "Well, I mean 'thing' as in 'situation'. I'm stuck in a situation and I don't know what to do." I cover my face with my hands. He pulls me down so I'm laid in his lap sideways, facing away from him.

"You don't know who to choose." He sighs. I look up at him. "Can you read thoughts or something?"
"No," He shakes his head. "I'm just observant and good at guessing how people are feeling." He smiles. "Boasting? At your age?" I tease. "Really, who should I choose?" I sit up and look at him. "Surely you know who I'd prefer you to choose. Surely." He points to himself.

"Why should I choose you?" I challenge. "We're closer in age for a start." He smirks. "And I can take care of you. Marry Marcus and you'll be forced to be a part of Aro's murder schemes." He points out. "But you'll be there too." I protest. "But you'll have no choice in the matter. You'll be stuck inside this castle while I'll be out fighting. You'd only have the wives for company." He sighs.

"You'll be inside for the rest of your life. Marcus barely goes out. There'll be no more dates or nice evenings out." He says. "But Marcus has been out so many times. I've been with him." I protest. He grabs my arm and forces me to look at him.

"Lee, before you arrived, Marcus hadn't set a foot outside in centuries. And if you marry him, you'll be the same. Be with me and you'll be free."