Chapter 8: Womanizer

He takes a moment to conceal his pain and sadness, then places his book on the table and stands. He glances at his watch. "Come, it's lunchtime. Why don't I take you out for some food?" He suggests. I nod in agreement.

We make our way to the main doors in companionable silence. I cannot tell what's he's thinking. Just as we reach the main doors, he ducks into another room. I follow, confused until I walk into a large garage, full of expensive, sleek cars. He holds open the passenger door of a black Porsche. "Damn, is this yours?" I ask, mesmerised, as I climb in. "Yes." He closes the door and jumps in the other side.

He belts himself in and presses a few buttons on the touch screen, which opens the garage door, revealing a damp, grey day outside. He sets off driving, I slouch in my seat. "You have bad body posture, you know." He says softly. I look at him with a scowl. "And here comes the bad mood," He teases. I slap him. "And your problem is?" I ask, scowling further. He gives a soft smile. "Bad body posture can cause serious back problems in the future." He preaches.

"Alright, don't speak to me like you're some sort of physiotherapist." I grump again. His eyes shine. He keeps driving through the streets. "Where are we going?" I look through the window, there are a number of quaint stores like pharmacies, craft places, clothing shops, it goes on. A huge bank is at the end of the street, Marcus pulls up outside it. "Wait here," He says, then he's inside the building.

Five minutes pass before he comes out again. "Here," He hands me a small plastic card as he belts himself in. "What's this?" I examine it in my hands, turning it over and peering at the barcode. He starts up the engine and drives off. "Your credit card," He murmurs. "Aro's idea. You need a lot more resources than the others. Hair care products, food, clothes, so we thought we should supply you with some money. There's €1000 to start off with." He states. "Now I'm taking you for lunch."

"Whoa, you can't just drop a huge bomb on me like that." He turns to look at me. "What do you mean?"
"1000 euros? Do you have any idea how much of a big deal that is? It's a lot of money!" My anger starts to boil up again. "I thought you'd be pleased to have some money of your own for a change." Marcus protests, though his eyes are still on the road. "Look me in the eyes, Marcus!" He pulls over in response.

"I am not pleased with so much money! Do you have any idea how poor that credit card makes me feel? It shouts ORPHAN in bright capital letters! I feel like you're all taking pity on me because I'm such an outcast." I cross my arms over my chest. "Are you ever happy? Your attitude is very depressing. You seem to hate people around you and you don't seem to acknowledge the good things we are doing for you. Yes, I admit €1000 is a lot of money, so you could at least say thank you." Marcus is angry now, maybe even a little bit hurt. He starts up the engine.

"No I'm never happy and I don't care if my attitude is depressing!" He sighs in response. "Lee Corvin, I can't make you out." He shakes his head. "What does that mean?" I narrow my eyes at him. "It means I don't understand you. I don't understand why you're the way you are, so gloomy and angry."

I ignore him and turn to the window. "You can also be very ignorant at times. Your communication skills aren't wonderful either." He comments. "Are you taking me out for lunch or giving me a full medical assessment?" I snark. He sighs again and pulls up outside McDonalds. "This? This is lunch?" I ask. "After our heated argument, I don't think sitting in a restaurant with you will be a success." He sighs. "Go in, get what you want. You can use my money if the card upsets you so much,"

"No, I'm good. I'll take the card. At least I know you like to indulge women, you're such a womanizer." He smiles at this. "I forget you're a woman, Lee. You pass very well as a man, a very handsome man." He trails off, seemingly in thought, before snapping back in. "Your pin number is on the back." He comments. I nod and head off into McDonalds. I order a Chicken Legend with mayo, fries and a coke. I order them to go, and quickly rush back to the car.

"You could work as an androgynous model," He suggests as I eat my meal on the way back. "Yeah," I murmur through a mouthful of chicken. "I've thought about it. I'd pass pretty well."
"You could earn money, as well," He comments. "So why do I need the card?" I ask. "Well, it could be quite risky after becoming a vampire, being around so many humans."

I shrug. I guess he's right. When we pull up inside the Volturi garage, Marcus opens the door for me once again. "You could say thank you," He sighs. "I don't have to." I shrug and dump my rubbish in the bin. "Wait, come back here," He calls, I sigh. I turn around reluctantly. "I think it's time someone taught you to control your emotions, to have better manners, face up to your demons, admit your traits." He suggests.

"What, like a counsellor?" I sniff. "I take it you don't like counsellors?" He narrows his eyes at me. "Not at all. I had a lot of them at school. Them with their fake looks of sympathy and joking laughs. They all thought I was a violent and crazy child." I kick out at the nearest cardboard box which sends nails and screws flying. I turn on him, eyes blazing. "If you're thinking of sending me to someone like that, you can fuck off." Just to make my point extra clear, I kick the box again.

I gauge his reaction. He steps forward.
"I want to be your counsellor."