Chapter 79: Finding Marcus

"This is like a ridiculous game of hide and seek." I huff as we search through every cupboard, doorway, and hidey hole in the room. We've arrived at our destination that Demetri says is Marcus's location but for once, I'm doubting his gift.

Now wearing jeans and a t shirt we collected - well- stole from a quiet shop and my body wrapped in bandages, the pain relief working it's magic, I feel remarkably better with all traces of pain removed yet my back still stings if I rub or itch the scabs forming.

"Are you sure he's here, Demetri? Cause if he isn't, I will chop your balls off and feed them to your dog." I threaten mildly but he smirks confidently. "I don't have a dog, Lee. So back to the drawing board for you." He says triumphantly and Liam takes his side by laughing.

"Traitor." I smirk at him, reaching across to jab him in the ribs. "Ow, you dick." He goes to react with a slap in the face but remembers my injuries and stops, his hand in midair. "Better not add to your collection." He gestures to the bruises forming on my face.

I nod in thanks and he steps over to investigate the next cupboard. "This is stupid. He's 6"4, he won't be able to fit inside a fucking cupboard." I blow off as Demetri and the others are robotically searching the tiniest places possible.

"Let's move onto the next room. I'm going mad with boredom." I mutter and swing open the door to reveal another identical room. For fuck's sake. I groan inwardly. "Is my purpose in life searching through cupboards for my husband?" I venture into the room first.

They follow suit. "Where the fuck are the stairs? Demetri are you sure he-"
"Stop swearing, Lee." Demetri cuts through before I can continue in my ranting. "And also," He comes to my side, and grabs my arm gently. "Never doubt my gift. I am the best tracker Aro has ever seen and he has been around for centuries." He finishes with a scowl and heads to another door to reveal a staircase.

"There. Happy? It's a staircase." He snarls, taking them two at a time. What have I done now? "I think you've offended him." Liam hisses in my ear before I can follow Demetri. "What? Come on, that guy is so hormonal." I shrug, heading on after him.

"You do come off as offensive at times." He calls up. "Yeah yeah." I mumble over my shoulder to him and he tries kicking the back of my legs. "Fuck off Liam." I rush up to the top of the stairs without feeling dizzy and chase after Demetri who has gone through into another room.

He stands there, completely still, staring at something mesmerized. "Demetri?" I approach him cautiously, not sure whether or not I should shake him. Felix comes to my side. "What's happening?" He eyes Demetri and I shrug. Felix pushes Demetri out of the way and stops mid step.

"Master?" He addresses and my heart leaps. Is Marcus really here? I rush past him and there Marcus sits, covered in dirt from the floor, untouched and in one piece. He is quiet and staring at the dirty floor. It's only then when I follow his eyes to the floor, I realise what everyone was looking at.

Jeanie is on the floor, seemingly in one piece but at closer insepction, her head has come away from her body. I shiver. "Marcus?" I go towards him slowly, overjoyed at seeing him alive, and wanting to throw myself at him, but his demeanour is throwing me off.

"It's me, Marcus. It's Lee." I try again and he slowly, almost reluctantly meets my eyes. "I know who you are." He says in a calm, measured voice. He has gone back to autopilot, his voice and face void of emotion, just like when I first met him.

"You killed her?" I ask softly and he gives one nod. "Yes." He adds quietly. "We need to get you out of here. The others might come back." I go to grab his arm to pull him up but he flinches. "There are no others." He insists, confidently. "They left. And others I killed." He says softly, looking back to Jeanie's body.

"She wanted to take you back." He looks at her head. "She wanted you back with her. The two of you, together." He breaks off to look at me. "It was her dream. She told me."

Then he seems to wake up just a little and he notices the bruises on me. "You're hurt." He announces, but his hands don't stroke or caress me and he doesn't look worried or protective like he usually does. Has he completely shut down and forgotten his love for me?

"Lee." He says, as if he's sounding out the word. "How long have we been married?" He asks casually and I take a moment to look away from him. How could he forget our wedding date?

"Nearly eight months." I kneel beside him, trying to touch him again but he flinches like my skin is made of sandpaper. "What's wrong with you? Aren't you happy to see me? I went through hell and back to find you. I was tortured, Marcus." I groan, my head landing on his shoulder as he continues to slouch.

"It happens." He says calmly as if I've just told him I went for a walk. "Marcus." I shake him. I can't help it. He's so.....unreadable and emotionless. He looks me in the eyes but doesn't apologise.

I look behind to see Demetri, Priest, Liam and Felix watching us closely, not knowing what to say. "What's happened to him? Has his memory been wiped?" I ask fearfully but to my relief, Demetri shakes his head. "He remembers you. Maybe he's in shock. After all, he's just killed someone you used to know." He shrugs and I give a small nod.

"I am sorry, Lee." Marcus suddenly grabs my wrist and I blink at him. "I didn't know. It was too late. I didn't realise until after she told me. I thought she was lying and-"
"Cut to the chase, Marcus." I stop him mid rant. "What are you talking about?" I ask him calmly.

He looks me in the eyes and sighs deeply. "Tell me you'll still love me. No matter what." He practically begs and I grab his face and press my lips against his. "I'll always love you, you stupid man. Always." I slap his face in the hope he'll come back to his senses.

"But Lee, I told you, I killed Jeanie." He tries again and I move closer to him. "Lee." He grabs me again to look at him. "Lee, Jeanie was your mother."