Chapter 3: Interrogations

It takes me at least half an hour to find my way back home. For the first time in my life, I'm relieved to see the van on the driveway. There's a police car outside. Oh shit, not good. Jeanie must have called them. How the hell am I going to get out of this one? Charlie, one of the youngest, spots me from a window and rushes out, yelling. "Jeanie! It's Lee! Lee's home!" He jumps about like a lunatic, attaching himself to my leg, clinging to me. I shake him off. Jeanie comes to the door, a police officer follows.

"Lee! Where the hell have you been?" She grabs my face, kissing my forehead. "We've been worried sick, come inside." I'm pulled into the living room. The children are shooed away by Jeanie and I sit opposite a shaky looking Liam on the sofa. "God, I'm glad you're ok. What the hell happened?" Before I can answer, the officer is back. "Lee, we're so relieved. Can you explain to me what happened to you?"

The officer holds a notepad. I think carefully, choosing my words wisely. Marcus said something about being exposed to his world, that could mean anything. "Well, I don't remember properly." I lie. "It was my first time drinking. All I know what that I got lost. I couldn't find Liam anywhere."
The officer looks at me strangely. "Are you sure that's it, Lee? Nobody did anything to you? Did anyone try taking you somewhere?" He presses further.

"God, why are you asking me pointless questions? I've told you everything I know!" I stand up. The officer frowns. "Please excuse Lee. She's always had an attitude problem." Jeanie gives me an annoyed look. I sigh and sit down. Eventually, the officer seems satisfied and leaves. I slope off to the kitchen for some food. My head is starting to spin again.

I definately need something to eat, anything. Right now, all I need is some peace and some food. But it's obvious Jeanie isn't getting the idea. "Lee! Get back here! There was no need to disrespect the officer! Why do you have to be so rude all the time?" I ignore her and sit at the breakfast bar with a bowl of cereal. "Lee, are you listening to me?" To push her further, I turn up the radio to drown her out.

It tips her over the edge. "LEE!" I jump, startled to see the expression on her face. I press my lips together from laughing. "God, what is wrong with you? Your attitude stinks! Here I am, worried sick all night and here you are, laughing like it's no big deal. Anything could have happened to you!" She comes to my side of the breakfast bar and grabs my shoulders. I place a somewhat reassuring hand on her face.
"Yeah, but it didn't. Nothing happened to me." I protest.

"Show me your arms, I need to look for bruises." She orders. Damn, too late for cover ups now. Reluctantly, I take off my shirt. She examines every part of my upper body. She's nodding. "Good. Nothing. No marks." She seems satisfied. "Great. Can I eat now?" I can't stop myself from looking relieved. I don't wait for an answer, I sit back on my stool and finish my cereal. "We need to get into town for some things, food shopping." She announces. "Coming?" She asks. I nod. Why the hell not?

In the shopping centre, the kids rush off to get their favourite things. I on the other hand, prefer to drive the trolley into things, particularly stacks of tinned food. "Lee Corvin! You are eighteen, grow up!" Jeanie can be heard throughout the supermarket, causing passers by to stare, some tut and curse about us, as if we weren't right in front of them. Honestly, some people are so rude.
Not that I'm not.

"Lee? Get back here, I have some things for the trolley!" I ignore Jeanie and slope off down different aisles, staring at hair gel and aftershave. Hmm, would she let me get more? Doubt it. Very much. "Lee!" She comes into the aisle. "I've been calling you. I need the trolley. If you can't be responsible, then I'll have to take over." She pulls the trolley away.

I pretend to be upset, pulling a pouty face, and she sighs at me, ruffling my hair. I wait for her to turn around before firmly sorting it, smoothing it down. Like, Jesus, why do adults do that? I hate people touching my hair, god damn.
When we get home, it's lunch time and Jeanie is busy in the kitchen, and poor Charlene the oldest, has been subjected to helping her prepare food.

At twelve preceisely, we all rush in to take our fill. She's made macaroni cheese with salad. I scoop a big portion of mac 'n' cheese on my plate along with some lettuce and red onion, all washed down with a glass of coke.
Afterwards I feel much better as I head up to my room. Forget about everything for now, just try. I walk along the landing and open my door.

I clamp my hands over my mouth and try not to scream a million questions at once. My only thoughts are how did he get here so soon? I quickly rush inside and lock the door before any one sees.

Because Marcus is sitting in my bedroom.