Chapter 4: Stalker

Marcus is casually sitting on the edge of my bed, reading one of my books, chilling like I've invited him over or something. It snaps me. "Why the hell are you in my room?" I try to keep my voice low, but the anger always wins. He peers at me. "You lied to me, Lee." His voice is calm as usual, his face wiped of emotion.

"You told me you wanted to sleep. Yet when I came back an hour later, you were gone. What was I supposed to do?" He holds out his arms as if he couldn't care less.

"Look, why don't you go get some friends and stop stalking me!" I try to push him off my bed, but this guy seems made of stone, cold stone. "Jesus, how much do you weigh?" I heave at him and he won't budge. I try again. "Do not touch me if you are going to be aggressive." His voice remains bored but his eyes change.

I look at him. "You have to come with me. Back to the castle. We need to speak with you." He says it like there's no other option, which there probably isn't.

"What if I'd rather stay here? Look, get the fuck off my bed!" I try pushing him again, only to fail as he randomly flips me over and I end up on my back, dangling across his lap. Before I can try again, his hands are on my chest, pressing me down. Holy fuck, I can't move, my upper body is held in place.

"How...how are you so strong...ugh..can't move." I give up miserably. "There now," He murmurs. "Be still." He pats my head in an almost attempt of comforting me.

"You've noticed my eyes, that they're red," I nod in response. "And that I am very strong, I have been for a while." He pauses, as an afterthought, then goes along with it. "What we are, essentially, are vampires." He states in a cool, relaxed voice.

"Wait..what?!" I try getting up, but he stops me, much to my dismay. "Please let me finish. When I met Aro, he and I rounded up vulnerable humans to add to the guard. We met Caius, my other brother and he joined us. Aro married and so did Caius."

"What about you? Where's your wife?" I meant it as a joke, but he stiffens. Another moment passes. His hands release me and he lets me fall onto the floor. I pull myself up onto the bed beside him. He continues, pretending to be oblivious to my question.

"Eventually, we had over one hundred people who serve us, and since you have been exposed to our world, we want you to join us." I cut him off. "In the castle?" I ask, he nods.

"You'll have your own room, presumably the one you slept in last night. You'll be given new clothes, mainly shirts and trousers. If there is anything you'd like to buy, it will be paid for. You will remain human for a while longer."

He pauses. "Your food will be cooked for you, your clothes will be sorted through and washed when you need them to. And all we want out of that is for you to cooperate and stay loyal to us. Can you manage that?" He asks.

I take a shaky breath. This could be it. I could say goodbye to social outcast as an orphan and become a highly thought of guard. The better option jumps out at me. I know which one I should take and yet I know I'd miss Jeanie, the others. "I guess I want to," I shrug like it's no big deal, but my insides are trembling. He nods approval.

"I'll come for you this evening. Midnight. Have your things packed." He stands to leave. "Wait, you can't leave! People will see you!" I try to persuade him.

He simply pushes me to one side and opens the window. I know what he's going to do then and my stomach churns. "No, Marcus, wait!"
His head turns. "Strange child, what do you not understand?" He pauses, straightening on the window sill. "I'm already dead," He states and he jumps. It takes everything in me not to scream and I rush to the open window and.....

Marcus is standing calmly on the driveway, he looks up at me, showing me he's still in one piece. "I'll come for you this evening,"
"No, wait! How did you know where I lived?" I lean out of the window, trying not to shout. He turns around. "You are an orphan." He calls up. "This institute is the only one in Volterra." Then he's gone in a flash.

I close the window with a bang and fall onto my bed. Vampire. Marcus is a vampire. Ha. No, it's true. It would explain the eyes. The strength. But vampire? Really? I didn't think they existed. Like, wow.

Vampires...then in that case, there must be werewolves too, right? The Volturi....sounds like some royal family. It's one o clock before I decide to start packing. Within an hour, every possession of mine is packed and takes up two rucksacks and a suitcase.

I put my pyjamas on at ten o clock for Jeanie to see, then as soon as it's lights out, I quickly pull on my day clothes, shoes, and wait. I spend some more time reading and before long there's a car driving outside.

I peer out of my window, where Marcus is standing. I quietly pull a rucksack on each shoulder and carry my suitcase, then slowly creep down the stairs and unlock the front door. Marcus takes my bags from me and we head to the car.

We arrive at the castle barely five minutes later, and Marcus, ever the gentleman, pulls my car door open for me. I give a nod of thanks. "Come inside," He beckons me into the throne room where guards stare at me like it's meal time. I ignore them and sit down at a large mahogany table piled with books.

A guard quits staring at me and takes my bags to my room. I sit there in a comfortable silence until Aro walks in, ruining the calm aura I'd been claiming.

I instantly snarl at his entrance. Something really sets me off when I see him. I guess he's got one of those faces. He ignores my aggressive scowl and comes towards me without a word, before reaching inside his cloak and slaps a thick folder down on the desk in front of me.