Chapter 51: An Idea Of What The Volturi Does

"You know Marcus, you never fail to amaze me when it comes to food." I stab more macaroni cheese onto my fork and shovel it into my mouth hurriedly. He smiles at me and takes a seat at the table. "What's the rush?" He enquires, sipping water.

"I can't help eating quickly. It tastes good." I shrug, then I remain silent until I've cleared my plate, Marcus smirking at me throughout, amusement clear on his face.
"Finished staring at me?" I snark, dumping my plate in the sink, while Marcus just smiles.

And that's when I hear a scream.

A high pitched scream, presumably a female, echoes through the room. My head snaps up at the noise and Marcus props open the door to investiagate. We step into the corridor to see Felix and Demetri carrying a teenage girl between them, who's kicking and shoving and struggling to escape.

They drag her down the corridor, heading to the throne room. "Master, Master Aro would like to see you." Demetri calls over his shoulder to Marcus, who follows along. "Lee, come on." He beckons me over.

I sigh in frustration and head over. I can't even have dinner in peace.

In the throne room, I'm horrified to see the teenage girl thrown onto the floor in the centre of the room. Marcus glides to his throne and I reluctantly stand beside him, wishing I could be in the tower or outside in the garden.

Aro rises from his throne and stands in front of the frightened girl kneeling on the floor.
"Now, child, what is your name?" He barks. 

"Theresa." She replies, sticking out her lower lip like she's choking on a sob.

She has long caramel hair, pale skin and red eyes, and judging by her bright irises, she's a newborn. "Do you remember who changed you?" He questions. "I..no..it was a woman." She trembles, biting her nails. "Are you hiding something from us?" He advances, stepping closer to her until she's peering up into his eyes.

He kneels in front of her and pulls her to her feet before grasping her hand. He freezes for a few seconds before opening his eyes. "There's something blocking your mind. You know who did this to you. They're planning something. Tell me what you know." He orders menacingly. Theresa lets out a whimper and keeps her eyes trained on the floor, refusing to say a word.

Aro turns to Alec and Jane. "Jane?" He prompts.
"Yes Master." She nods.

Then Theresa crashes to the floor with a scream. I gasp in surprise as she starts writhing on the floor, screaming in pain as Jane uses her 'gift' on her. I peer around at everyone's facial expressions and feel sick to my stomach to see everyone is calm and relaxed with what is happening.

Jane pauses to questions her. "Who created you?!" She demands. Theresa gasps and whimpers. "Her name's Helen. She..she wants to take down the Volturi." She splutters.

"So why are you here?" Jane enquires. "What else do you know?"
When Theresa stays silent, Aro prompts Jane to continue inflicting pain on her.

Theresa screams again and I have an awful urge to cover my ears from her screaming and my eyes from the horrific sight of her writhing on the floor. "Stop this." I hiss to Marcus. "She needs to be questioned." He insists.

"This could bring down the safety of everyone in the Volturi if we don't find out what she knows." He concludes.
Jane eventually stops as Theresa screams that she'll tell them everything. Jane steps back satisfied.

Aro steps towards Theresa. "You have my full attention." He says.

"Helen...she wants to destroy the Volturi. To kill the leaders. She sent me here as a spy." She admits, choking on sobs.
"Hmm. Caius? Marcus? What shall we do with her?" He asks. "She has to die." Caius snarls and Theresa flinches. "She must have a lot of information about us by now. We can't let her leave or her creator will destroy us." He concludes.

I'm startled at his words, with a young daughter of his own, he still wants this girl to die. She can't be more than fifteen. I turn to Marcus, hope in my eyes as we await his opinion. But Marcus looks Aro dead in the eyes and says "I think she should die."

My stomach twists and I resist the urge to scream. Caius and Marcus; these beautiful, loving men in my life who are also capable of so much evil. Aro seems satisfied with their answers.

"Excellent." He clasps his hands together. "Marcus? I believe you should do the honours."

Honours? Killing someone? There's no way he would do that in front of me. He knows how sensitive I am with that sort of thing. Surely he'll refuse. I look at him. Surely?

Marcus looks apologetically at me before heading to Aro. My chest starts heaving with heavy breaths as Marcus clutches Theresa's shoulders. "Marcus!" I cry, not able to hold back any longer. He turns back to me. "Darling?" He cocks his head to the side.

"I can't let you do this." I whimper, rushing towards him, and I see a glint of hope in Theresa's eyes. Marcus sighs at me and I hear Caius tut. "Lee my beautiful, you have to let Marcus do this. There's nothing you can do." Caius soothes.

I turn to Caius, tears forming in my eyes, which takes Caius aback. He knows I never cry. "Please, Dad, she's so young." I beg, rushing to him and grabbing his hands. Caius sighs and shakes his head in pity.

"Stop, Lee." He pleads. The tears finally fall, running down my face as I blubber like a baby. "Marcus, please continue." Aro waves his hand dismisively.

Marcus grabs both sides of Theresa's face. "Marcus, please!" I cry. He turns away from me sadly.
"Dad? Stop this!" I run back to Caius instead, my eyes turning bloodshot from tears.

Alec and Jane stand there restlessly to the side of the room, willing Marcus to hurry up.

I dither by Caius's side, still sobbing, and I get on my knees and clasp my hands together. "Please Caius, I'm begging you!" I sob, kneeling before him, laying my head on his knee. "Oh please, you're making a fool of yourself!" Aro scoffs, glaring at me.

"Marcus, proceed." He orders.

I turn to him, pleading with him with my eyes. Please, Marcus, you can't do this.
He can't surely. Surely he wouldn't. Marcus looks as if he might object and he sighs at me.
"Please!" I beg. "She's just a child."

Marcus caresses Theresa's face, his hand trailing down her cheek. "Poor girl," He whispers.

Then he yanks her head off her shoulders.