Chapter 82: Anger

Athenadora comes rushing through the flimsy plastic door so quickly, I can only see flashes of blonde hair and black clothes. I hunch up and wince in anticipation, knowing her block of wood frame will kill me but Caius pulls her into his arms before she can attack me with affection. She struggles and yells. "What are you doing? I just want to..oh." She realises as Caius points to my bruised and battered body.

"You have to be gentle with me. I feel like a ragged doll." I explain and she covers her mouth with her hand. "Lee.." She comes to my side and her gobsmacked face says it all. "I'd have killed him." She says deadpan, and I know everyone that says it means it.

"I know Mum. Liam had him, I promise. Where is Liam? Can I see him?" I beg and she smiles. "He's coming in a second. How are you darling? Are you in pain? Did you enjoy France? What can I do?" She asks frantically and Caius scoffs at her.

"Thena, calm yourself. She's semi-fine." He assures and she blinks a few times, relaxing by a fraction. "Have you eaten?" She tries again and I nod. "Yes, Mum, I'm fine. I ate chicken and pineapple. I had two cups of hot chocolate. We watched GBBO." I explain and he frowns.

"G-B-B-O?" She spells out and I almost laugh, it sounds comical to me. "The Great British Bake Off." Caius translates and I smile approval. "You're learning, Dad. You're doing well. I'm proud as hell." I compliment and he smiles.

"There's no need to be so enthusiastic." He assures, almost embarrassed and I turn back to Athenadora. "Mum?" Her hands are shaking as I realise it's because she's desperately trying not to throw her arms around me.

"Go ahead, but be careful." I assure and Marcus stops her before she can get too close. "Be very careful." He almost pleads and she nods sincerely. "Darling." She perches lightly on the sofa and I press my head against her chest. Her chin rests against the top of my head and kisses my messy hair, which really needs a wash by the way.

She practically reads my mind. "Your hair is greasy." She sounds disapproving and I sigh. "Yes, Mum, I'm fine, don't worry I love you too." I mutter sarcastically and she groans. "I'm sorry, sweetheart I just...I'm trying to act normally but I'm dealing with the fact that I failed as a parent." She states and I gasp, sitting up to face her.

"Mum? You haven't failed at all. None of what happened is your fault. Why would you think that?" I groan, placing my head against her chest again, inhaling her perfume. It's such a comforting smell, and combined with her long nails stroking my back, I feel relaxed to the point of being sleepy though I know I've had enough sleep for now.

"Well.." Her voice cracks. "We sent you to France so you'd be safe and then you went to London and we thought everything would be fine but.." She trails off and I know she's thinking about that sadistic creep, Matthias.

"I know, Mum, but I survived." I try to relieve her but she keeps sighing to herself. "I know, darling, but he did things to you that you'll never forget." She shakes her head and turns away. "I'm just...so guilty." She summarises and I turn to Caius. "If it's really your fault then how come Dad doesn't share your feelings?" I face her again. "Because she's overly dramatic." Caius states and she almost glares at him.

"I am not. She is our daughter and she was beaten and mutilated like some hunk of meat. Look at her." She gestures to my body and Caius turns his head. "I cannot. It breaks my heart. You are not the only one who has feelings, Thena." He admits and she softens.

"I know, my sweet." She reaches and grabs his hand, which he accepts. "We musn't feel guilty." He preaches. "What's done is done. We sent her to France to protect her, what happened was no one's fault but Jeanie's." He adds more fiercely and she blinks.

"About Jeanie." She turns back to me. "I don't want to talk about the 'she's your mother' thing so fuck off." I snarl and she rolls her eyes. "There's no need to be so snappy." She sighs, condescending.

"Fuck you!" I stand up and walk away from her. "She wasn't my mother! A mother doesn't send men to hit the fuck out of her kid! She was fucked up. Can we just stop talking about it? I can't fucking deal with it!" I slam my fist onto the countertop in front of me and Athenadora sighs.

"Sweetheart, I'm sorry. We won't talk about it if you don't want to." She says deflated and Caius steps in. "I tried talking to her about it and she ran into a portable toilet. Best not to bring it up in conversation." He jokes and she smiles at his humour.

Marcus just stands there. "Anything to add? Or are you going to stand there like the usual boring fuck you are." I snap and Marcus raises his eyebrows. "I didn't deserve that, Lee." He scolds and it turns me into a rage.

"No, you never do, do you? Perfect innocent Marcus." I step towards him, ignoring Caius's warning look. "Where were you when I was tied up and beaten to a pulp by Matthias? It was Liam and Demetri who rescued me. Where the fuck were you, my precious husband?" I spit bitterly and he turns away from me.

"Lee!" Athenadora gasps. "It wasn't anybody's fault but Jeanie's. Don't start on Marcus." She rages. "Did I ask for your opinion?" I grunt and turn back to Marcus. "You gonna answer me?" I demand and he keeps his back to me.

"I don't want to argue." He states quietly and it pisses me off. "Fine. You don't have the answers, I haven't got the time for your games." I turn away from them and walk out, passing Liam as I do. I should feel joy at seeing his face, I haven't seen hin since I woke up. My brother, Liam. Little flamboyant sass queen.

"Lee? What's happened?" He asks, noticing my red face, but that look of sympathy and concern sends me off on one. "Just fuck off!" I stalk down the corridor and off into the nearest door, which I hope is the bedroom I came out of.

It is, and as I throw myself down onto the bed, I silently cry into my hands. I didn't mean it. I didn't. I love them all. My parents. Marcus. Liam.

I'm such an asshole. I don't deserve them. I don't deserve their love.