Chapter 65: The Dungeons

(A/N: Hey guys, just thought I should mention that the first four chapters of my sequel to Jared Whitlock: Daughter of Jasper Hale are up and ready to read. Show me some love and check those out if you can. Of course, you need to read the first book beforehand for obvious reasons.
Ciao, VampireLover_xox)

For a few split seconds, everything is still, quiet and I can no longer feel the oxygen in the air. It's as if my lungs are no longer dependent on it, able to breathe in their own special way. No particular feeling in any part of my body, just a cold sweep of air that keeps hitting me as I plummet into the darkness below.

No sense of where I am exactly, just a feeling of dread growing in the pit of my stomach. The only thing my brain says is, I wish Caius had warned me about the fall. That should mean I'm nervous, scared even. Funny, because right now I don't feel anything.

But then, heaven forbid, time catches up with me and I feel gravity drag me down at a thousand miles an hour, and I land with a smack on the floor.

Damp. That's the first thing I notice. The dank, musty smell that surrounds me and everything around me. Ugh, I think. Couldn't he have put me in anywhere more comfortable? "Oh well, Lee. At least you're alive." I scoff to myself, as I heave myself up onto my feet.

And that's when my nerves catch up with me. Sharp, shooting pain slices through my hip, sending me straight back to the ground, writhing with pain as I convulse and cry out. But cry out for who? Marcus maybe? He always made me feel safe.

Where is he? I haven't seen him since yesterday evening. Does he know Jeanie found us? That Caius and every one of us is in danger? The vampires existance could soon be revealed to Jeanie and the children. Surely that means they could be killed?

The thought horrifies me. I lived with them for two years. The Volturi are my family now and I've established a normal life with a normal status. I no longer struggle with who I am, but I will never forget where I came from.

Squeak squeak.

My eyes dart to the other side of the room and I bring my knees up to my chest. I try to focus my eyes on the dark spot where the noise comes from, but nothing appears. Nothing comes to rip me to shreds or to eat me alive.

Still, who knows what could be lurking in the shadows. It is a dungeon after all. Who else could be down here?
"Hello?" I call out, but instantly feel pathetic, sounding like some nervous character in a horror movie. Man up, Lee. You're not afraid of anything.

The noise comes again, louder. "It's not funny! Who's there?" I grunt, squinting into the darkness to search for a hand, a pair of eyes. Anything.

Once again, the noise pierces through the room. "Right, that's it!" I pull myself up, even with the pain in my leg, but before I can go monster hunting, a door I had no idea existed opens, letting in a weak strip of light.

A tall, hunched over figure. I don't blame him from hunching. This ceiling is ridiculously low. He comes towards me slowly, a dark shadow with no face. "Lee?" It calls. I tense, I've heard that voice before.

The huge fist connected to the giant's arm reaches out towards something and gives it a thump.
The 'thing' turns out to be a window, and straightaway, bright streams of light illuminate the room a little more. I peer into the giant's face.

Felix.

He smirks at my expression of recognition and offers a hand to pull me up. "Good to see you, Lee." He jokes, hauling me onto my feet steadily. "Funny, great to see you too." I snark, stepping well out of his reach. "Easy," He holds up both hands as a reassurance.

"I'm not going to try to kill you this time. I swear it." He smiles cheekily, no doubt remembering the time outside the nightclub. "You almost drained me dry that night." I snap, and he pretends to be offended. "If you hadn't passed out, you'd have never met Marcus, the love of your life." He drawls.

"Fuck up with the comments and get me out of here." I command and he steps backwards so I have access to the door.

"All this palaver with dropping me down a hole so I bang my hip hard on a rusty floor, and all along there's a fucking door I could have walked through!" I complain, cursing as I put pressure on my leg.

Felix scoops me up into his arms gently. "Deja vu." He smirks, ducking to step out of the door, and we start to walk down the corridor.

"What do you mean?" I question and he shakes his head, chuckling. "When you passed out, it was I who carried you to the castle." He explains.

I glance at him, looking at his face. "I didn't want to. Not really, but Demetri said he wanted you taken in." He adds. I feel a stab of guilt followed by a flood of warmth. All along, from the very beginning, Demetri had intended
to a part of my life.

"Yes," Felix nods, reading my mind. "He was smitten with you from the beginning. Fool. Love achieves nothing." He scoffs. I glare at him. "What would you know about love?" I snark and he glances at me.

"I still haven't found it, even after a thousand years, so forgive me for sounding harsh." He growls, voice deep and meancing. "You'll find someone." I offer, to give him some hope. "This isn't a pity party," He drawls. We've reached the garage.

He lays me out in the back seat. "Your possessions are in the boot of the car. The master has instructed me to be your bodyguard. We have to go on a trip. I have everything we will need." He cuts off the conversation by slamming the car door.

He slides into the drivers seat, starting the ignition. "So where are we going?" I ask, sitting myself up slowly.
He glances at me in the rearview mirror.

"Paris, France." He announces. "But I don't speak a word of French!" I yell, exasperated.

"Well luckily," He drawls. "I do."