Chapter 31: Marcus or Demetri?

"Free? I won't have to be a guard?" I check. "No. You're not bound to the Volturi. They haven't turned you yet. There's still time." He runs his fingers through his hair. "And what about Marcus?" I ask. "He'll let you go." He says simply. "He'll have to. It's your life."

I jump off my bed. "I need to speak to Marcus. I was going to anyway but then you showed up." I look at him. "Aren't you glad I did?" He smiles. "You love it when I pop up out of the blue." He grins, laying luxuriously across the bed. "Do I look good like this?" He asks, posing. "No, but you remind me of Liam who just said he wanted to be a stripper." I swat him away.

"Ok, leave. I'm off to see Marcus." I walk through my door. Demetri follows me. "He might be busy," He tries to convince. "He won't be. What could he be doing at five o' clock in the morning?"

Writing. He was writing a letter to Didyme when we approached his room. Every word he writes, he says out loud. "......and I thankfully found her, on a park bench.......she's home now.....I just hope she doesn't run off again......lots of love darling, Marcus."

I creep to the door quietly. "Marcus?" I knock on the wood gently. He looks up and smiles.
"Lee," He approaches me with a smile that melts off his face as soon as he sees Demetri in the doorway. "Demetri," He grunts. "Come to take my mate away from me again?" He challenges. "I actually came to comfort her after she had a nightmare, while you sat here completely oblivious," He says. Ok, that's partly true.

Marcus pulls me into his arms. "You should have come to me. I would have comforted you." He whispers in my hair. "I know. It's ok." I hold onto him tightly. "I dreamed Vladimir was alive and he killed you on our way back home." I shudder at the memory. "Oh Lee. You poor thing. It's alright. I'm here, Vladimir died in Romania," He reminds me. "I know, but..the dream..it felt real," I whimper.

"You're safe. We drove straight home. You ate your pizza and fell asleep." He smiles. "Pizza, I love pizza." I murmur, clinging to him. "I know. You can let go now, Lee." He strokes the back of my head. "Yes please do. It's rather an repulsive sight." Demetri comments from the doorway.

"You're not even supposed to be here." Marcus scoffs, pushing me to the side. "You're lucky to be alive. You're only a guard; remember that." Marcus slams the door in his face. "That was a bit rude." I scold. "Please. How can you critisize my behaviour when you're the one with no manners." He flicks my nose playfully. "Fuck off." I try flicking him back and he grabs my arm, twists me around and shoves me so I fall onto his desk.

"Ow," I pull myself back up. "You deserved that." He smirks. "You're a dick," I rub my stomach where I landed. "Should I take you back to bed?" He asks. "No. I don't want to sleep. I've had a nightmare, remember?" I rub my eyes. "I could soothe you. I could make it better again. I can make you happy." He murmurs sheepishly. "You do make me happy." I admit.

"Lee, when I saw you kiss Demetri, I didn't know what emotion I was feeling. I thought I'd lost you. Lost you to someone younger, more modern, someone with good looks." He looks in his mirror and sighs. "Hey, I think you're good looking. And I don't care how old you are." I reach him and push him into his chair at his desk. I sit in his lap, curled up like a cat, he strokes my head. "You love doing that, hmm?" I ask. He nods in response. "I do." He murmurs.

"So, you're not having second thoughts about our relationship?" He asks. "No." I say. "And you're not thinking about choosing Demetri over me?" Damn. "No, well, I might feel something for him, but I'll always pick you." I murmur. "So you admit you have feelings for him?" He asks. "Well, yeah," I sigh.
"I...I was wondering Lee, would you...no never mind." He trails off.

"What?" I peer at him suspicously. "Nothing. Please, forget it. Lee, maybe you should go back to bed." He suggests, cunningly. "I've been awake an hour, I think I'll stay up a bit longer." I go in his bedroom and throw myself on his bed, stroking the posts. "It's an amazing bed. It's so old fashioned." I mumble quietly, but I know he heard. "How good's your hearing?" I ask. "Good," He replies, simply, which tells me nothing.

"Ok, so, how good?" I try again. "Let's just say if you called me from outside my room in a whisper, I'd be able to hear you." He explains. "So you didn't hear me scream earlier?" I ask. He comes into the bedroom. "Scream?" He repeats. "From your dream?" He checks. "Yeah, it really frightened me." I murmur.

"Poor thing, why don't we head to your room and you can go to sleep?" He suggests. "Nah, I think I'll head back by myself." I kiss his cheek lightly and stroll back to my room. Once in, I turn on the lights and see a small black box on my desk.

I head over to it, opening it with my breath held. Inside is an obviously expensive ring, not too masculine yet not feminine. It's right in the middle, perfect for me.
Underneath the box is a note which contains just three words. But those three words set my heart on fire. 

Marry me,
Marcus