Chapter 68: Family

I stare down at my steaming bowl of chicken noodles, the smell of them is intoxicating. My mind is begging them to cool down quickly so I can devour them in my hunger. I feel like I'm starving to death.

"Felix?" I twist round in my seat to address him, as he stands in the kitchen with the door open, making tea. He glances up at my voice. "I'd like to find a patisserie shop." I say before he can answer me. He smiles and shakes his head. "I hear the cakes in France are particularly splendid." I put on a posh, sophisticated voice and he smiles again with humour.

"Indeed they are." He replies, playing along with the game.

And that's when my phone rings.

I jump up so quickly that my noodles almost fall out of the dish and onto my skin. I slam the bowl onto the side table before it can scald my skin and sprint to my phone, hopping over the sofa like an expert gymnast.

I pick it up before it stops ringing. "Hello?" I answer, sounding breathless. "Lee? Have you been running, sweetheart?"

I almost faint at the sound of Marcus's voice. Of course, he's been informed with what happened with Jeanie and sending me off to France, but I've no idea what his reaction was. I haven't spoken to him since the night before my shopping trip back in Volterra.

"Lee?" He prompts. "Oh, sorry. No, well yeah kind of, I sprinted to grab my phone." I reply and I hear Marcus's chuckle down the line. "Are you alright? I'm sorry I haven't spoken to you sooner. I wanted to make sure everything is fine in France?" He asks softly, and I can imagine his dreamy expression as he think of France.

He's always loved the country. "It's good." I nod. "I spoke to a boy in French." I add casually. "I never knew you could speak French." His voice is full of enthusiasm and curiosity. "Yeah, well, I'm full of surprises, just remember that." I inform sarkily, and Marcus chuckles.

"My clever Lee, what will you surprise me with next?" He sighs, which saddens me. I miss him. I go to open my mouth to tell him but he says something first. "I saw Liam and Priest yesterday." He announces.

What? In London? "I thought they were in England." I stammer, turning red with rage at the idea of Marcus visiting Liam but not me. Marcus sighs down the phone. "Well, darling, it's difficult now Jeanie is after us. London is quite close." He defends, his tone quite sharp.

"Paris is closer." I argue back, starting to pace across the living room. Felix comes in from the kitchen, holding a steaming mug before pointing to my bowl of noodles, reminding me they're going cold. I flip him off.

"I'm your wife," I choke on my tears. "Your androgynous, dickhead of a wife." I add quietly, whimpering. "Lee," He tries to cut me off. "I'm in England. I'm gathering information." He explains. "I've been staying here since you left for France." He adds softly.

"Like....living in England?" My heartbeat starts to relax and slow. "Yes. Temporarily." He adds softly and my body starts to sink back into the sofa, my hand reaching for my fork.

Felix, clearly eavesdropping on our conversation, pushes the mug close to me so I can drink. It's hot chocolate. I mouth a thank you at him and he nods.
I start to munch on my noodles, chewing quickly from hunger. "Lee?" Marcus prompts. "Wait a sec." I mumble through a mouthful, and Marcus laughs.

"Are you eating?" He asks in amusement. "As always." I respond, gulping them down. "Do you think I could come to England to be with you?" I hope, but I hear Marcus sighing. "Is Felix not good enough company?" He asks, teasing.

"We're surprisingly getting along. It'd be better if I had you, though." I complain and Marcus gives a quiet humourless laugh. "I feel the same way, darling. I'll try to come as soon as I can." He trails off for a second to see I'll say anything. When I appear silent, he continues.

"It's too risky for you or Liam to be in Italy at the moment. I don't want Jeanie taking you away from us." He sounds harsh and determined. "Marcus," I sigh deeply. "I miss you." I add. "I know you do, darling. I love you more. It hurts me to be away from you, but it's something we have to do." He concludes.

"What's the deal with Jeanie?" I ask, annoyed. Marcus hesitates before answering. "She's....a tough woman." He summarises vaguely. "Giving nothing away." I tut, though Marcus stays quiet. "If you don't tell me more about Jeanie, I'll press Felix to tell me instead." I warn triumphantly though Felix shakes his head at me, pretending to zip his lips.

"Felix has been sworn to secrecy to keep quiet. He isn't allowed to disclose any information." Marcus says sternly and I groan in frustration. "Calm yourself, my love. It's all to keep you safe. I promise." He adds. "It's a load of shit!" I yell down the line.

"Lee." Marcus tuts at my anger. "There's no need to be upset at our efforts to protect you and your brother." He preaches. "No need to be upset?" I mock. "This is Aro's plan, isn't it?" I groan, clutching my head in annoyance. "Lee. He's a clever man. I've never doubted Aro's ideas. They've always left us with more power and resources." He defends.

"How can you defend Aro? He's a smug dickhead." I groan, in frustration, though Marcus seems amused by my comments. "Lee, we're doing this to protect you and your brother."

"It's not funny, Marcus." I pause to eat another mouthful of noodles. "I can't take you seriously if you're going to eat and talk at the same time." He admits softly. "Fuck off then." I challenge. "If I tell you, will you promise to stop pestering me about staying in France?" He offers.

"Tell me what? About Jeanie?" I ask hopefully. "Yes." He says glumly. "Ok." I reply with anticipation.

"The reason we need you away from Italy is because Jeanie isn't what she seems to be." He trails off to see if I'll comment. "You see Lee, the thing is, Jeanie is.....Jeanie is..."

"Jeanie is what, Marcus?" I cut him off, impaitence building.
"For God's sake, Lee. Fine." He grunts. "Jeanie is a vampire."