Chapter 16: Another Disappearance

Walking into Liam's bedroom the next day, I'm surprised that already his things have been retrieved and put away neatly on shelves and a chest of drawers identical to mine. Liam himself is sitting on his bed, groggily rubbing his eyes.

"Morning," I lean again his doorframe. He looks at me with bloodshot eyes. "Morning? It still feels like the middle of the night! Some idiot has had me awake since six this morning! He came in here, putting away my things and telling me what to wear!" He complains.

"That's Demetri. He sorted my room when I arrived as well." I reassure. Liam lays on his bed, burying his face in the pillow. "Ok, well get out. I'm feeling pretty ugly today." He moans. "I haven't had much sleep because he woke me up." He says. "Aww, is this the first time you've not felt pretty?" I snark, enjoying his embarrassment. He sits up, eyes blazing. "Yes. I feel disgusting. No one is usually allowed into my room until I'm showered and dressed. It's the rules." He huffs and disappears under the duvet.

"Goodnight then," I saunter back into my room. Due to the hot weather, I get dressed in demin shorts with a blue stripy t-shirt. I leave my hair as it is, hoping it looks like it's been styled, as I can't be bothered today. I head off to find Marcus.
The throne room is in a state of chaos. There are several guards conferring with Aro, while Caius sits at his throne, with a dark haired woman beside him. Marcus sits alone at his throne oddly reading a newspaper.

Everyone goes silent at the sight of me and pauses for a second, before resuming conversation in hushed whispers. I peer around the room anxiously. What are they talking about? I make my way over to Marcus. "Hey, what's going on? Why's everyone talking?" I ask. He peers over the top of his newspaper. "Where's William?" He asks. "In bed, he's tired. And don't call him that, he likes to be called Liam." I correct. "He is stated as William in his file." He says. "Whatever. Since when do you read newspapers?" I ask.

He sighs at me then, as if gauging my mood. "How are you feeling today?" He changes the subject. "Great. Very chilled." I shrug my shoulders. "So the chances of you getting angry and aggressive are.......slim?" He asks again. "Yeah, why?" I try looking at his newspaper and he pulls away. "You don't need to see this." He decides. "Marcus. Show me the goddamn newspaper!" I order. He sighs and reluctantly pushes it to me.

I read the main headline and my stomach lurches.

TWO TEENS MISSING FROM VOLTERRA'S CHILDREN'S HOME

"No. No no no." I shake my head. "Please, I can't go back! What if they find us? Liam's been gone twelve hours and they've already reported him missing!" I sit on the floor, reading.

Orphaned teenagers Lee Corvin and William Matthews, both eighteen, from the local children's home have been reported missing by careworker Jeanie Dawkins. Jeanie says "Lee's been missing for at least five days now. I woke up this morning to find Liam gone as well. Both their possesions have disappeared. I have a feeling they may have run away together."

Officers are looking into the investigation. If you have any information, please report to the police station.

I throw the newspaper across the floor, unable to take another look. "I told you you didn't need to see it. I tried to warn you." Marcus sighs grimly. "Marcus, don't speak to me right now." I cover my face with my hands. Seconds later, strong hands are under my arms, pulling me up. Marcus sits me on his chair with him. I sit there like a kid across his lap while he leisurely strokes the back of my head. Liam strolls in about half an hour later, angrily.

He slaps a copy of the newspaper down on the large table in front of Aro. "Tell me you have a plan for this." He demands. Aro sighs at him. "Please don't fret. No police officers will come here. This is seen as a museum. No one will note this place as suspicious." Aro seems completely at ease. Liam remains unconvinced. "Do you realise how serious this is? I can't even go back to work now!" He groans, sitting down at the table.

"There now, you don't need money. We will provide for you." Caius walks to him, arm held out. Liam leans into him wearily. "Really?" Liam asks. "You'll buy me food and clothes?" He looks hopeful. Caius smiles at him. "My name is Caius, and you have my word." He promises. Caius turns to me. "Lee, why don't you take Liam to meet Athenadora and Sulpicia." He suggests. I jump up and pull Liam gently. "Come on," And with that, I lead him to the tower.

******************************

"How many stairs are there?" Liam groans as we head up the staircase. "Just a few more," I murmur. Liam whimpers slightly before sitting on the floor. "Liam?" I turn around. "What are you doing?" I ask. "I can't take no more!" He declares, rubbing his forehead. "Will you stop being a lazy bitch and man up!" I pull him onto his feet. He groans and complains.

"You're such an asshole," He shakes his head at me. "Yeah, I know." I shrug. Liam gives a sigh of relief as we make it to the door. "Is this it?" He asks hopefully. "Have we made it?"

"Yeah," I push open the door and walk through into the reception area, where Chelsea is lazily leaning across her desk, filing her nails. She comes to a stop at our entry. "Why are you here?" She points at us. "Ignore her, she's a bitch." I lead Liam away and into the wives quarters.

Athenadora and Sulpicia are deep in conversation when we enter. They freeze for a second and look Liam over before smiling at me. "Good morning Lee," They chorus. "Hey guys," I pull Liam over who seems struck by their beauty. "This is Aro's wife, Sulpicia, and this is Caius's wife, Athenadora." I introduce, they give him a small nod.

"Liam's joined us. I guess he's probably going to be a bodyguard as well. He lived in the home with me." I explain. "Ah, so this is William," Athenadora smiles. Liam stiffens. "How do they know my real name?" He asks, annoyed. "Your file, taken from the home." I explain, Liam looks outraged. "Who do they think they are?" He cries, flinging himself onto the l-shaped couch flamboyantly. "That is my life story in a file, and they've read it?!" He yells. Athenadora and Sulpicia simply blink at him, casually.

He holds out his arms, continuing. "Like, I've been here less than a day, and they already decide to judge me based on my file!" He grabs at his face, cursing dramatically. Athenadora beckons me over, so I kneel beside her. She whispers in my ear. "He's very dramatic, quite the little drama queen," She observes. We both glance at Liam, who has started pacing around the room, muttering to himself. "........stupid assholes.......who do they think they are?......dickheads........judging me..."

"Yeah, he's always like this. For as long as I've known him." I nod along with her. "Then.....he must be." She trails off.
"What?" I ask. She smiles at me. "So Liam's gay," She says.