Chapter 36: I'm Going To Find Him

My eyes are opened by a huge white light. It's everywhere. The walls, sky, floor, everything is white. There are no cars, no roads, no clouds, just a huge space full of white. A shimmering in the distant catches my attention. I crawl over to it wearily, reaching for it with my bare hands. My body feels weak and I'm pretty sure I'm dehydrated, but I push on nonetheless. It comes closer until I can make out shapes.

I realise it's a woman. The light fades shade by shade until I can see her without blinding myself. She looks vaguely familiar. "Lee." She announces. Her voice is rich and smooth. Like melted chocolate and toffee or marshmallow with strawberry sauce. "Where am I?" I hold up my hand to my eyes.

"You're neither dead nor alive. You're in a black hole full of lost consciousness." She explains. "Why? What happened?" I scratch at my head lightly. "You fell. You hit your head." She says, moving her hand to the back of my head gently. "About an hour ago, it was bleeding. Marcus was very worried, poor love." She sighs. I look at her again. The potrait on the wall, the wedding photos.

"You're Didyme!" I point at her.   

"Yes." She smiles. "I'm very glad Marcus found you. He deserves to be happy again." She drifts around effortlessly, like she's on wheels. "I need to find Demetri," I follow her, jogging because of her speed. She slows down and faces me.

"I know. He's at the local train station. He's planning to head to the airport as soon as it's dark." She informs me. "How do you know that?" I ask, wide eyed. She smiles with amusement. "I'm dead, Lee. I see everything from above." She gently examines the back of my head again. "So am I dying?" I ask. "Possibly. I could send you back if you'd like." She offers. "Back to Earth? With Marcus?" I check.

"Yes," She smiles. "Wait, not yet." I stop her quickly. "Why not?" She asks. "You didn't tell me where Demetri's going."
She looks at me and smiles. "The others will know." She nods confidently. "Are you sure about that? They didn't seem so positive earlier." I inform, arms folded.

"Tell them he's gone to his home country." She smiles.

"What country is he from?" I beg. "They will know. I can give you a clue...." She says mystically. "Ok," I nod. "Tell Marcus jeg elsker deg." She smiles to herself. "He'll know what it means and that will be your clue." She says. "Why can't you just tell me?" I demand. "It wouldn't be as fun otherwise." She simply shrugs.

"I'm sending you back now, dear. It was nice meeting you. Good luck with the wedding." Then the light begins to grow, brighter and brighter until I have to shield my eyes from discomfort.
"Ugh, it hurts." I groan.

I can feel myself on a bed, a pillow underneath my head for support. I can hear voices, hushed and quiet so I can't make out what they're saying. "Mmm, the light....ugh....angels." I stammer. "Oh good Lord, she's talking about angels! Is she close to death?" A voice, most likely Athenadora's.

I cautiously open my eyes, still shielded, though the only light is coming from my bedside lamp. "She's ok." Athenadora sighs in relief. "Lee, darling. Look at me." Marcus's hand strokes my forehead. "It hurts, Marcus." I moan softly. "It's alright, sweetheart." He soothes. "You'll heal."

"Demetri!" I sit up. "We have to find him! I know where he is!" I swarm of hands try soothing me and lay me back down on the bed.
"Hush darling." Sulpicia is by my side in an instant, and unfortunately, not too far behind, is Aro. I huff in frustration. "There now." Marcus tries again.

"You have to listen!" I grab his arm, wide eyed. "I spoke to Didyme. She told me Demetri's heading for the airport as soon as it's dark!" I gasp for air. "What time is it?" I panic. "It's seven thirty." Marcus smiles. "Seven thirty? It's dark outside! We have to go!" I beg and Aro and Marcus are hauling underneath my arms, gently pushing me into the bed.

I cry out in frustration. "Is Demetri Norweigan?" I ask and they nod. "I believe so," Aro says. I turn to Marcus. "Didyme told me to tell you 'jeg elsker deg', but I don't know what that means." I inform and his close briefly, smiling to himself. "Yes, it means I Love You in Norweigan." He smiles again.

"So he's heading to Norway!" I jump out of bed and rush into the bathroom, where my jeans and t-shirt is. I pull them on in record time. Marcus comes in. "Lee, please. Leave Demetri be." He tries. "No! I want Demetri back! I'm not going to let him head off to some foreign country all depressed and alone." I stomp past him into my bedroom and pull on shoes. I brush my hair quickly and grab a jacket.

"Either you can take me to the airport or I'm running there." I face them all. Athenadora, Caius, Sulpicia, Aro and Marcus. "Fine." Marcus sighs. I smile triumphantly. "Let's go." We head to the garage.

Aro decides to stay at home, protecting his role of oh mighty vampire leader. So with it being the five of us, we cram into another car. A red sleek sports car.
"This is mine." Caius smiles proudly, pulling out the keys. "A more modern wedding present." He kisses Athenadora's nose who giggles. "Seriously guys?" I push past them, shaking my head. "Oh come on, if we're going to be your parents, we should start acting embarassing." Caius laughs as I step into the car.

I sit in the middle, with Marcus and Sulpicia on either side of me. I lean my head on Marcus lightly, while Sulpicia clasps my hand. "We'll find him in time." She soothes. None of us wants to speak. We're all thinking of different things so it's hard to start up conversation. Caius tries asking a few questions about the wedding but other than that, it's all quiet. To lighten the mood, Caius turns on the radio and modern day pop music blasts through the speakers.

Surprisingly, Caius sings along to a few songs, and yeah, he has a great voice. Marcus tuts at him playfully, but it puts a smile on our faces.

Another half an hour and we arrive at the airport, quickly rushing to reception. Marcus speeds ahead to speak to the lady at the desk, dressed in full Airway uniform, hat and all. He's there for at least a minute then comes back with fake symphathy on his face.

"A flight to Drammen, Norway has just taken off. She says a man named Demetri checked in over an hour ago. It's too late." He shakes his head pretending to be sad, but I bet he's delighted. "It's not too late! Come on, we'll schedule a flight. There must be another one." I rush to the reception desk but Marcus tries stopping me. "Give up darling, please." He begs.

"You can't stop me. Look what I've got with me." I open my jacket and pull out my passport and my credit card.
"So there's nothing you can do. We're off to Norway. Happy holdiays, Marcus!" And with that, I stomp off to the check in desks.